The Student Room Group

If you're a GCSE student - what is your average day like! :)

Hi everyone, I'm writing an article for The Student Room on a GCSE student's typical day.

If you'd like to be involved and published on TSR's homepage then please write about your own typical day studying GCSE's at school. Around 150-200 words on the subject would be perfect :smile:

You can write about

-Your morning routine
-Who you talked to
-Your daily difficulties
-Your friends
-Your teachers. How much you like or dislike them.
-How you find the work
-Projects you're working on at the moment
-Favourite/least favourite classes

Please reply here if you're interested! :smile:
-Any sports/hobbies/clubs you attend
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

-Your morning routine
I wake up up really early as I have to get to school by 7.50
-Who you talked to
My friends mostly, although I find that I have to talk to other classmates to see how they're getting on with their coursework.
-Your daily difficulties
We get given a lot of homework. There is too many things to do and not enough time.
-Your friends
Most of my friends don't go to my school.
They all have their moments.
-How you find the work
It is not very hard but very time consuming.
-Favourite/least favourite classes:
Fav: Maths
Least Fav: English
(edited 9 years ago)
You can write about

-Your morning routine
Wake at either 6:30 or 7 depending on if I'm going on a run. Shower, breakfast, leave the house at about 8:10 and walk to school, which takes around 30-35 minutes. Form period.

-Who you talked to
My friends at school.

-Your daily difficulties
Considering whether to do homework or just do it in the morning. Normally I'd just do it in the lesson before it is due or just come up with an excuse. A lot of homework at GCSE is unnecessary. To be honest we hardly got set any.

-Your friends
Met them in school, have had different groups of friends. We are in different classes but meet every break and lunch.

Most are nice, only one I don't like much. Some are great- despite not being amazing teachers, they're good to talk to

-How you find the work
Mostly easy. Sometimes can be a bit more challenging but nothing too demanding

Non haha

Favourite : maths. (Always liked maths and the teacher is a good person)
Least favourite: physics (teacher)

Non really

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
-Your morning routine
Wake up at 6:30, have some cereal, teeth, shower, get dressed etc. Pack bag, grab a sandwich, walk halfway to school with my brother and the rest on my own (we go to different schools) and get to school at 7:50.
-Who you talked to
There's a lot of hanging around between and during lessons, so I talk to all of my classmates a lot, including the ones I don't particularly like. We also have to coursework and stuff so we tend to talk about that a fair bit because people often forget to do it.
-Your daily difficulties
The toilets are miniature and filthy and disgusting but they always seem to have crowds of year eights in them, so they're always full but never in use. They cancelled some of our exams in November a few days before we were meant to be doing them, and the day before we were meant to be doing them in some cases.
-Your friends
I'm in completely different classes to most of them, because we're in sets and we've all chosen different options, but we hang out at break and lunch. People tend to be a bit less bitchy about one another in years ten and eleven, I've found, but you tend to get more outright violence.
Most of them are ok, but it's really annoying if you get an awful teacher because it is often reflected in exam results. There are a few who will just bend over backwards to help you and that's great, but they are very rare and tend to be the ones who get really angry with you if you miss the tiniest bit of homework as well.
-How you find the work
On the whole, it's not much more difficult than in ks3, but there is more of it. The good thing is, you can drop loads of subjects (so I didn't do Dance, Drama, Music, etc), so while it's a pain, there is always a bit of 'well at least it's not that', whereas in ks3 you have to do pretty much everything really.
Well, I've just finished my GCSEs, but I did an extra Latin GCSE on my own. I don't know if that counts as a project. Some people did Duke of Edinburgh, but I didn't.
I liked History, mainly because we did stupid things like throwing eggs at maps to represent nuclear bombs. English was OK. RS was a nightmare. The teacher was bat**** crazy and islamophobic, she kept on going on about Muslims decapitating people and blowing stuff up. Surprisingly enough, that didn't really help us get past our GCSE. Loads of people complained about her, and I think she got kicked out.
-Your morning routine
Get up at 6.30, get dressed and eat breakfast while watching the news. Leave the house at half seven and get tram to school.

-Who you talked to
Friends and teachers

-Your daily difficulties
Not much really.

-Your friends
Erm. Mostly in my form, have a few in different lessons.

Like most of my teachers, prefer the ones that chat to the students whilst working. Ones that make you do work and only chat about the work are a bit annoying.

-How you find the work
Fine, except art, a lot of work needed to be done to a high quality.

Nothing haha

Fave: French, german, history, English lit
Least fave: Physics and art

Please reply here if you're interested!
None

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
wait, sorry, didn't see the last bit.

Any sports/hobbies/clubs you attend
I attended Twilight Latin lessons, if that counts. I also did indoor rock climbing, though not in school. I spent a while teaching people how to weave bracelets with cartoon characters and stuff on with a bead loom, and selling the bracelets I made, but I didn't have time in the last term of y11.
Reply 6
Original post by Aisa
wait, sorry, didn't see the last bit.

Any sports/hobbies/clubs you attend
I attended Twilight Latin lessons, if that counts. I also did indoor rock climbing, though not in school. I spent a while teaching people how to weave bracelets with cartoon characters and stuff on with a bead loom, and selling the bracelets I made, but I didn't have time in the last term of y11.

Sounds like you managed to fit in a great deal of stuff. Would you like to write a few hundred words on your experiences? :smile:
Original post by Armadillo
Hi everyone, I'm writing an article for The Student Room on a GCSE student's typical day.

If you'd like to be involved and published on TSR's homepage then please write about your own typical day studying GCSE's at school. Around 150-200 words on the subject would be perfect :smile:

You can write about

-Your morning routine
-Who you talked to
-Your daily difficulties
-Your friends
-How you find the work

Please reply here if you're interested! :smile:

I normally wake up at around 7:00am, shower and leave for school by 8:10am. Once I'm in school, I normally just relax in my form room with friends; we were the only Year 11's with a form in the Sixth Form areas. Normally then my teacher would come in and ask us how we are and so on. I never did work early in the morning (before lessons).

I generally got on with my teachers but there were teachers that just didn't like me for whatever reason, probably because when someone was doing something wrong I wouldn't just let it go and so it basically was like a GCSE student telling a Uni graduate they're not doing their job properly. Quite humorous.

I had a diverse group of friends until Year 11 where I stayed away from a lot of people who I didn't see eye-to-eye with. Most of my friends would help each other out and were very academic, my best friend was a straight A* student. It was handy to have a friend like her around because whenever you didn't get something she'd explain it to you and practically reteach it to you.

I found the work pretty easy and only struggled with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. I found that a lot of teachers put pressure on us to revise in like January when we hadn't finished topics. It was pretty stupid.

I never attended any clubs exactly during school because nothing was really properly organised at my school. I'm happy to have left and be going on to a better school that's more suited to me.
Reply 8
Sounds like you managed to fit in a great deal of stuff. Would you like to write a few hundred words on your experiences? :smile:

Specifically with regards to hobbies and clubs?
Reply 9
Original post by JayJay-C19
I normally wake up at around 7:00am, shower and leave for school by 8:10am. Once I'm in school, I normally just relax in my form room with friends; we were the only Year 11's with a form in the Sixth Form areas. Normally then my teacher would come in and ask us how we are and so on. I never did work early in the morning (before lessons).

I generally got on with my teachers but there were teachers that just didn't like me for whatever reason, probably because when someone was doing something wrong I wouldn't just let it go and so it basically was like a GCSE student telling a Uni graduate they're not doing their job properly. Quite humorous.

I had a diverse group of friends until Year 11 where I stayed away from a lot of people who I didn't see eye-to-eye with. Most of my friends would help each other out and were very academic, my best friend was a straight A* student. It was handy to have a friend like her around because whenever you didn't get something she'd explain it to you and practically reteach it to you.

I found the work pretty easy and only struggled with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. I found that a lot of teachers put pressure on us to revise in like January when we hadn't finished topics. It was pretty stupid.

I never attended any clubs exactly during school because nothing was really properly organised at my school. I'm happy to have left and be going on to a better school that's more suited to me.

This is exactly what I was hoping for! Great to read :smile:
This is exactly what I was hoping for! Great to read :smile:

Woo aha.
Reply 11
Original post by Aisa
Specifically with regards to hobbies and clubs?

Include info about hobbies and clubs while making it a narrative of what you've done over a day. :smile:
I get up at 6:30. First thing I do is wash my face, shower, then get dressed. After that I go downstairs eat breakfast and back up to clean my teeth. I double check that my bag is packed and then chill for a while, and finally I leave at 8:15.

The most difficult thing honestly for me is dealing with a-holes at the school. The kind of people that litter right next to a bin, disturb lessons and are just generally arrogant. Only one more year and then I get to escape to another 6th form, with better people hopefully.
Social-wise I'm sort of acquaintances with everyone. I'm in only 2 classes with any friends, so I can only talk to them at break and lunch. My friends aren't as academic as me, and it's difficult to revise when they're constantly playing videogames and such, but I manage okay.

I really like my English teacher, she's head of the department and knows what she's doing. My maths teacher is rude but she can teach so I'm thankful. My music teacher is really nice and doesn't care that we all got bad grades in our music mock. I find the schoolwork pretty good. I've never really come across something that I can't handle aside from trigonometry (I missed the lesson and have been clueless ever since; probably need to revise it before the exams).
As long as you ask for help if you're stuck, you should be just fine.

At the moment I'm working on a stupid geography project on tourism. We visited a seaside town and now have to write a random essay on it. I've had a ton of homework but I have done almost all of it. I also have a blog that ATTEMPTS to portray my academic life, and to motivate me to study since I want to go to Oxbridge.
When it comes to subjects I think I've had to learn to appreciate them all. I need pretty decent, so I just use the interesting parts of a subject to motivate me through the boring parts. My hobbies consist of the blog (link in my signature), creative writing club, I volunteer & cycle very often for DofE. I've done bronze Dofe expedition and I play piano.

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Aisa
-Your morning routine
Wake up at 6:30, have some cereal, teeth, shower, get dressed etc. Pack bag, grab a sandwich, walk halfway to school with my brother and the rest on my own (we go to different schools) and get to school at 7:50.
-Who you talked to
There's a lot of hanging around between and during lessons, so I talk to all of my classmates a lot, including the ones I don't particularly like. We also have to coursework and stuff so we tend to talk about that a fair bit because people often forget to do it.
-Your daily difficulties
The toilets are miniature and filthy and disgusting but they always seem to have crowds of year eights in them, so they're always full but never in use. They cancelled some of our exams in November a few days before we were meant to be doing them, and the day before we were meant to be doing them in some cases.
-Your friends
I'm in completely different classes to most of them, because we're in sets and we've all chosen different options, but we hang out at break and lunch. People tend to be a bit less bitchy about one another in years ten and eleven, I've found, but you tend to get more outright violence.
Most of them are ok, but it's really annoying if you get an awful teacher because it is often reflected in exam results. There are a few who will just bend over backwards to help you and that's great, but they are very rare and tend to be the ones who get really angry with you if you miss the tiniest bit of homework as well.
-How you find the work
On the whole, it's not much more difficult than in ks3, but there is more of it. The good thing is, you can drop loads of subjects (so I didn't do Dance, Drama, Music, etc), so while it's a pain, there is always a bit of 'well at least it's not that', whereas in ks3 you have to do pretty much everything really.
Well, I've just finished my GCSEs, but I did an extra Latin GCSE on my own. I don't know if that counts as a project. Some people did Duke of Edinburgh, but I didn't.
I liked History, mainly because we did stupid things like throwing eggs at maps to represent nuclear bombs. English was OK. RS was a nightmare. The teacher was bat**** crazy and islamophobic, she kept on going on about Muslims decapitating people and blowing stuff up. Surprisingly enough, that didn't really help us get past our GCSE. Loads of people complained about her, and I think she got kicked out.

Hey, i know this is random but may i ask what was your exam board for history?
-Your morning routine
Wake up at 6 if going for a run
If not (I.e. When it's cold) wake up at 7
Eat breakfast, leave by 8 for 20min walk

-Who you talked to
Friends at school
Friends in outside of school clubs
Adults I know from outside of school activities (coaches etc)

-Daily difficulties
Concentration, sitting still and not fidgeting during lessons
Staying in lessons that are uninteresting/boring

-Friends
Main group within form
Other friendship groups for lessons in sets
Only one or two close friends

-Teachers
The ones that take the time to 'understand' and get to know us are considerably better and more liked than those who just teach
Most are alright
One or two completely unreasonable and difficult to talk to

-How I find the work
Mostly fairly straightforward
Can get boring and monotonous
Very little motivation to complete in subjects I don't like

-Favourite/least favourite subject
Favourite-maths, physics, chemistry
Least favourite-English

Posted from TSR Mobile
I get up about 6:30am, and I get into school pretty early, 7:40am sometimes. I generally sit in the main hall or hang around corridors on a morning; there's no room for a common room or the like for lower school, so we have to make do. When my friends get in we all go sit/stand in the corridor outside my form room and maybe do some last minute homework.
I get on with pretty much all of my teachers to be honest, and some of them you can have a really good laugh with. I've found the workload fairly light and simple, though people with more coursework based subjects (I find Art, Graphics and PA are the worst offenders) seem to have struggled way more than me.
My favourite class is probably English, even though I'm not a huge fan of the subject, because we have English the most and you can "waste" a few lessons going off-topic a bit, so we have some good debates! Other subjects we have nowhere near enough time to cover the material.
I didn't find I really had much time for hobbies/clubs as although on paper there was a lot on offer, you couldn't really just turn up having never done it before, and it’s mostly sports which isn't exactly my strong point.
I have a group of maybe 4 close friends, and then I'm on good terms with most of my year. We tend not to fall out, which is nice, because in lower years my friendship groups have been pretty unstable.
I wake up at about 7am, 7:30 if I'm tired or my alarm doesn't go off. I have a cup of tea and occasionally breakfast, but usually I can't be bothered with food! Then I get ready, put on my uniform and my house captain badge with pride and get my stuff together. I tend to be still half asleep when I get to school, but I tend to get a bit more lively after talking to my friends outside class for a while. We all get to school at about 8:20, which gives us a good 25 minutes to talk before class starts.

Without meaning to sound conceited, as a GCSE student I am an incredibly hard worker and a fairly high achiever, predicted all As and A*s in my subjects. However, this did come with a lot of stress. Particularly towards the end of this year (year 10) I was getting angry with everyone, I had a short temper, I was always annoyed etc. I had mock week, English Coursework, the school production, my new role as House Captain, and work experience week, and all of this just got really stressful. Luckily, my Head of House had a meeting with me and my mum, like he does with every student, to discuss my progress. He had picked up on my stress and told me to drop all my work for the last 2 weeks of term, and to spend some time catching up after the summer holidays. He was really understanding and I felt so grateful to have someone who could appreciate how hard I had been working and to allow me a good break!

I struggled with stress and friendship disagreements a fair bit (although I know the stress is going to get even worse as I go into year 11!) and also just the whole school thing- getting up early and working hard all day! On the whole though my experience so far has been pretty good, I'm quite lucky!

My friends are quite cool. We argue sometimes but all friends do, that's okay. I love them to pieces.

I love all but one of my teachers. The only teacher I dislike is the teacher that wasted my entire year of learning because the only way she could control the class was to not give us proper work and to put films on. Which I got really upset about and tried telling someone but no one did anything. My favourite teacher is my languages teacher. I see her a lot because I study 2 languages, 5 periods a fortnight each, so 10 all together, and she teaches me both. She is really helpful and lovely! Languages is my favourite subject and she's really helped me to excel this year. Over the summer, she even sent me the first book she ever read in French to read over the holidays! I really love it when teachers give that little bit extra in their work!

The work can sometimes be tricky. It depends on the subject, and what you enjoy. In my opinion, if you look on the positive side of all subjects, the work is easier! If you force yourself to enjoy it, you will! The workload can be heavy but you have to make sure not to let it get on top of you. Work hard, but not too hard.

I am currently working on my English Literature coursework, which is incredibly stressful! I'm writing a comparative essay exploring how Animal Farm and 1984 prove that evil can triumph if good men do nothing. It's difficult, but my teacher has been great and really supportive.

My favourite class by far is French! I just love it, I want to study it in university. For some reason I just love learning different languages and about other cultures! It also helps that I have a great teacher

My least favourite class is Science. I just don't get it, it's confusing and so boring!

Outside of school I make sure to do a lot to balance out the workload. I'm in the Wiltshire Youth Marching Band, I play instruments (Alto Saxophone, Tenor Saxophone, Flute, Piano and Guitar), I sing, I'm involved in theatre, and I also write and read. It's important to allow yourself time to relax and to take up hobbies that you enjoy! As much as studying is vital to succeed, you also have to have something to do that's fun; whatever makes YOU happy!

Original post by bearichards
i wake up at about 7am, 7:30 if i'm tired or my alarm doesn't go off. I have a cup of tea and occasionally breakfast, but usually i can't be bothered with food! Then i get ready, put on my uniform and my house captain badge with pride and get my stuff together. I tend to be still half asleep when i get to school, but i tend to get a bit more lively after talking to my friends outside class for a while. We all get to school at about 8:20, which gives us a good 25 minutes to talk before class starts.

without meaning to sound conceited, as a gcse student i am an incredibly hard worker and a fairly high achiever, predicted all as and a*s in my subjects. However, this did come with a lot of stress. Particularly towards the end of this year (year 10) i was getting angry with everyone, i had a short temper, i was always annoyed etc. I had mock week, english coursework, the school production, my new role as house captain, and work experience week, and all of this just got really stressful. Luckily, my head of house had a meeting with me and my mum, like he does with every student, to discuss my progress. He had picked up on my stress and told me to drop all my work for the last 2 weeks of term, and to spend some time catching up after the summer holidays. He was really understanding and i felt so grateful to have someone who could appreciate how hard i had been working and to allow me a good break!

i struggled with stress and friendship disagreements a fair bit (although i know the stress is going to get even worse as i go into year 11!) and also just the whole school thing- getting up early and working hard all day! On the whole though my experience so far has been pretty good, i'm quite lucky!

my friends are quite cool. We argue sometimes but all friends do, that's okay. I love them to pieces.

i love all but one of my teachers. The only teacher i dislike is the teacher that wasted my entire year of learning because the only way she could control the class was to not give us proper work and to put films on. Which i got really upset about and tried telling someone but no one did anything. My favourite teacher is my languages teacher. I see her a lot because i study 2 languages, 5 periods a fortnight each, so 10 all together, and she teaches me both. She is really helpful and lovely! Languages is my favourite subject and she's really helped me to excel this year. Over the summer, she even sent me the first book she ever read in french to read over the holidays! I really love it when teachers give that little bit extra in their work!

the work can sometimes be tricky. It depends on the subject, and what you enjoy. In my opinion, if you look on the positive side of all subjects, the work is easier! If you force yourself to enjoy it, you will! The workload can be heavy but you have to make sure not to let it get on top of you. Work hard, but not too hard.

i am currently working on my english literature coursework, which is incredibly stressful! I'm writing a comparative essay exploring how animal farm and 1984 prove that evil can triumph if good men do nothing. It's difficult, but my teacher has been great and really supportive.

my favourite class by far is french! I just love it, i want to study it in university. For some reason i just love learning different languages and about other cultures! It also helps that i have a great teacher

my least favourite class is science. I just don't get it, it's confusing and so boring!

outside of school i make sure to do a lot to balance out the workload. I'm in the wiltshire youth marching band, i play instruments (alto saxophone, tenor saxophone, flute, piano and guitar), i sing, i'm involved in theatre, and i also write and read. It's important to allow yourself time to relax and to take up hobbies that you enjoy! As much as studying is vital to succeed, you also have to have something to do that's fun; whatever makes you happy!

okay sorry that was more like 750 words sorry xd
-Your morning routine

I wake up between 6:40 (if I want to stretch before school) and 7 (normal time). I get dressed, do my teeth, hair, makeup and have breakfast and leave my house at 7:55. Arrive at school at 8.

-Who you talked to

Mostly just my friends and other people in my class.

-Your daily difficulties

Coping with stress is quite hard, as I get really worried about exams and assessments, even if they're irrelevant.

-Your friends

I have a small group of friends, most of which I know from primary school.

Some are great and really help me to understand things. Others do things in a way that isn't the best for me, but they're all really helpful and good at what they do.

-How you find the work

I find the work okay, harder tasks don't usually bother me. One of the things I struggle with is the pace of history, as we have to write a lot in a short time.

Not really a project but I'm doing volunteer work at my local library and also doing my Bronze Arts Award, which I'll gain experience, UCAS points and skills in communication, volunteering, listening, etc.

Favourites are maths, French and IT. Least are PE and Food Tech.

In school time I do art, badminton, Listeners (like a support group for younger pupils) and dance. Outside of school I do singing, dancing and acting.
(edited 9 years ago)
-Your morning routine
Wake up at half 6. Wait for my mum to get out of the bathroom and have breakfast while waiting. Have a bath, get dressed and sort my bag out. On a normal day I would leave at 7:45 to meet my friend near the local shops.
-Who you talked to
I talked to my friends and my teachers. Sometimes other people in my science class would speak to me because I would be sitting there on my own.
-Your daily difficulties
If I'm in science I find it hard to speak to people about what there doing because I got bullied in year 6 and have found it hard to talk to people since.
Being in English where about half the small class don't want to learn so most of the time us 8 people that want to learn don't get to because our teacher is talking to the people that don't want to learn.
-Your friends
Known 2 of them since year 3/4. In year 7 I made one friend in science. He introduced me to his friends and I became a part of there group. In year 8 most of us went in different groups so I met new people of a friend from year 3/4 and became good friends with them. In year 8 I was sat next to someone in History and we were talking about Black Ops 1 when it came out.
Only teachers I liked were geography and physics. I disliked the rest of them.
-How you find the work
Being in the lower sets for most of my lessons I found the work hard. In geography I felt super dumb because my teacher put me on the same row as two of the smartest girls in the class.
None
Favourite
Geography (teacher)
ICT
Music
Physics (teacher)
Least favourite
Biology (teacher)
Business Studies(teacher)

Posted from TSR Mobile