The Student Room Group

Will oxbridge admission look for diversity?

I came from a country, where there is not much people are going to apply. is that an asset that will set me apart?
Original post by kahlilsaad
I came from a country, where there is not much people are going to apply. is that an asset that will set me apart?

No, unless you have excellent grades

Posted from TSR Mobile

No and it shouldn't. Diversity is just a stupid word that the Labour party invented.
Oxford and Cambridge couldn't give two ****s unless they need a token to put on one of their prospectuses.

You're talking about Oxbridge here.
Reply 4
Original post by TheAnusFiles
No and it shouldn't. Diversity is just a stupid word that the Labour party invented.

There is no problem if that will not enhance my application; however, they should consider diversity because they give an excellent education, so they should be open to all people and not a limited group of people
There is no problem if that will not enhance my application; however, they should consider diversity because they give an excellent education, so they should be open to all people and not a limited group of people

Cannot tell if you're trolling but they are open to all people. They are not however going to use race as criteria at all.

They will certainly consider anyone who applies insofar as they have the required qualifications, including internationals. You won't get an advantage for being from a country where there are relatively few students, but you certainly won't be disadvantaged either. You'll be treated just like any other applicant.

If diversity is a key consideration of yours, have you considered pursuing your studies in the US instead? :smile:
Reply 7

You will need a high standard of English to be accepted. You will also need to have obtained a first in your business degree.

However on another thread you say that you hate Biochemistry. Given that the Cambridge degree is a Natural Sciences course and is very broad I would not think it is suitable. I suggest you consider Oxford which is a pure Chemistry course.

I doubt anybody who has walked through Cambridge in term time (as opposed to believing what they read in the Guardian newspaper) would recognise the concept that Cambridge draws only from a "limited group of people". There is a wide range of ethnicity and backgrounds among the students.

The education is open to all people. Everybody is free to apply. If you're deemed intelligent enough and the tutors think you'll thrive in Oxbridge's learning environment, then you'll get in. It's that simple.
(edited 9 years ago)

Oxford and Cambridge are, of course, open to all people. The fact that you are from elsewhere will neither help nor harm your application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending