The Student Room Group

GF is mad at me because of this? She wants space?

We had this petty argument last night because she thought I wasn't supporting her choice in leaving to France to study for a couple of years.

I told her " I'm 100% behind you, and respect that you've chosen this years ago, but I can't lie that I am little bit sad".

She got mad at me and said I was being "emotionally manipulative". I tried telling her that I was sorry she thought it that way, but that I was completely and genuinely with her on this one.

I thought it was quite natural to be sad, because when she does go we won't see each other half as much as we do now.

So she told me to give her some "space" today, and she'll let me know when she's ready. This just makes me think she's ending it with me ...

She fell in love with me really hard, and first. I followed shortly after, and things seemed and WERE perfect.

I'm not going to contact her until she comes around obviously.

Is it me?

Scroll to see replies

What a bitch of course you'll be sad. She's off for a couple of years!!

I say leave her and wait for her to contact you.
I think she's being over dramatic personally.
It's not you (from what you've said - obviously it's possible you haven't told us everything or she has misinterpreted some information).

If you want it to work, you need dialogue, and you somehow (perhaps through a friend) need to find out exactly what her logic is in order to correct any misunderstandings. If you don't care, or she is unwilling to have a sensible conversation, then leave it and see what she does.

Perhaps she's projecting? Maybe she feels bad about going away, and is looking for any signal from you that confirms this bad feeling?
Are you the same person who had LDR worries?

Posted from TSR Mobile
She wants space does she?

Virgin Galactic tickets for Christmas then.
Original post by Octohedral
It's not you (from what you've said - obviously it's possible you haven't told us everything or she has misinterpreted some information).

If you want it to work, you need dialogue, and you somehow (perhaps through a friend) need to find out exactly what her logic is in order to correct any misunderstandings. If you don't care, or she is unwilling to have a sensible conversation, then leave it and see what she does.

Perhaps she's projecting? Maybe she feels bad about going away, and is looking for any signal from you that confirms this bad feeling?

She got mad as soon as I said "but I'll be a little sad". Then she blames me for bringing the "France thing" up when she was the one told me about the exams she needs to take first. I was telling her that she'll pass them and be able to study in France.

I don't know what's up.
Original post by Stickman
Are you the same person who had LDR worries?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, that's me. The distance will be Bristol to Toulouse in France. She says I can buy "cheap" tickets to see her in France by plane.
Original post by Made in Tyrone
We had this petty argument last night because she thought I wasn't supporting her choice in leaving to France to study for a couple of years.

I told her " I'm 100% behind you, and respect that you've chosen this years ago, but I can't lie that I am little bit sad".

She got mad at me and said I was being "emotionally manipulative". I tried telling her that I was sorry she thought it that way, but that I was completely and genuinely with her on this one.

I thought it was quite natural to be sad, because when she does go we won't see each other half as much as we do now.

So she told me to give her some "space" today, and she'll let me know when she's ready. This just makes me think she's ending it with me ...

She fell in love with me really hard, and first. I followed shortly after, and things seemed and WERE perfect.

Is it me?

Loyal by Chris Brown should answer OP
Original post by ryan9900
She wants space does she?

Virgin Galactic tickets for Christmas then.

So that's it then, she's calling it quits after saying "I really, really love you boo, but I just need some space now please"
Original post by Paras Agarwal
Loyal by Chris Brown should answer OP

So I need to hit her? **** Chris brown.
WTF! Ofcourse you're going to be sad :/ how is that being 'emotionally manipulative', as the b***h puts it
So I need to hit her? **** Chris brown.

she's overreacting mate.. just leave her.. dont be over infatuated.. she's probably trying to manipulate you instead.

Be wary .. remember head over heart any day
Original post by AbdulKoyes
WTF! Ofcourse you're going to be sad :/ how is that being 'emotionally manipulative', as the b***h puts it

No idea ... I've had a terrible day so far because I'm imagining that she's going to end it with me for it.

I went for a 2 hour run/ work out session, and that didnt help :frown:
Original post by Paras Agarwal
she's overreacting mate.. just leave her.. dont be over infatuated.. she's probably trying to manipulate you instead.

Be wary .. remember head over heart any day

She's not the kind of girl to manipulative on purpose ... She's this really timid, nervous and shy girl.
She got mad as soon as I said "but I'll be a little sad". Then she blames me for bringing the "France thing" up when she was the one told me about the exams she needs to take first. I was telling her that she'll pass them and be able to study in France.

I don't know what's up.

Sounds to me like she's stressed about the exams and the whole France thing and wants total reassurance (which you're not obligated to give her - your comment was reasonable). I'm sorry she's taking it out on you - you sound nice enough.

I say give her space, and if you want to make up perhaps do something random, nice and not related to France. Or get a friend to talk to her, and find out exactly what the problem is. You're not morally obligated to do this at all, and you're not in the wrong at all. It's just the solution most likely to lead to a happy outcome.

The alternative is a sensible conversation - perhaps after her exams if they are soon.
Original post by Octohedral
Sounds to me like she's stressed about the exams and the whole France thing and wants total reassurance (which you're not obligated to give her - your comment was reasonable). I'm sorry she's taking it out on you - you sound nice enough.

I say give her space, and if you want to make up perhaps do something random, nice and not related to France. Or get a friend to talk to her, and find out exactly what the problem is. You're not morally obligated to do this at all, and you're not in the wrong at all. It's just the solution most likely to lead to a happy outcome.

The alternative is a sensible conversation - perhaps after her exams if they are soon.

She hasn't even booked the exams yet .. They probably won't happen for a whole year yet - well till next June or July.

I've been thinking for 4 hours now that she's going to text me to call and she'll end it on the spot :frown:

I don't know what's up.

Hm, the reaction sounds suspiciously disproportionate. I question her motives. Perhaps she's trying to decide whether to end the relationship (if she hasn't already)?
I mean, going to France for two years is a long time, the opportunity to sample some of the French talent has probably crossed her mind; it is an adventure in a new country after all. Perhaps she's looking for a way to end the relationship without feeling guilty? Making you out to be the bad guy would certainly help.
This is tricky, be careful. Confronting shy or timid people can like pulling teeth, they try to avoid it at all costs, as is their nature. I can't really give any concrete advice here. All I can say is please be aware this might be the end of your relationship and prepare accordingly.
Original post by BritishBlu£
Hm, the reaction sounds suspiciously disproportionate. I question her motives. Perhaps she's trying to decide whether to end the relationship (if she hasn't already)?
I mean, going to France for two years is a long time, the opportunity to sample some of the French talent has probably crossed her mind; it is an adventure in a new country after all. Perhaps she's looking for a way to end the relationship without feeling guilty? Making you out to be the bad guy would certainly help.
This is tricky, be careful. Confronting shy or timid people can like pulling teeth, they try to avoid it at all costs, as is their nature. I can't really give any concrete advice here. All I can say is please be aware this might be the end of your relationship and prepare accordingly.

You really think she'd be more concerned about get 'French talent' than her studies ... Puhahahaha

Is it me?

From experience- it sounds like she wants you to miss her more than 'a bit', tell her how supportive you are but also how distraught you are she's leaving and how you'll cherish the time you do spend together. Surprise her, we always love that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest