The Student Room Group

Colonoscopy questions

Hello everyone,

I'm a 19 year old female, and today I saw a GI consultant who thinks I might have a form of IBD (maybe Crohn's) as I've been bleeding and having bowel problems for the last few months. He suggested a colonoscopy. I'll be sedated but not knocked out for it. I've got some questions as I'm a little bit nervous.

1) How bad is the prep!? Someone told me it's horrendous and worse than the procedure itself, and reading the booklet, it does sound grim. But is it really that bad? :frown:
2) How long does it take? He wants to investigate the whole of the large bowel.
3) Will I be able to go about my normal activities after the sedative has worn off? If not, how long will it be before I can go back to normal?

Thank you so much. It's very much appreciated.

Xxx
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hello everyone,

I'm a 19 year old female, and today I saw a GI consultant who thinks I might have a form of IBD (maybe Crohn's) as I've been bleeding and having bowel problems for the last few months. He suggested a colonoscopy. I'll be sedated but not knocked out for it. I've got some questions as I'm a little bit nervous.

1) How bad is the prep!? Someone told me it's horrendous and worse than the procedure itself, and reading the booklet, it does sound grim. But is it really that bad? :frown:
3) Will I be able to go about my normal activities after the sedative has worn off? If not, how long will it be before I can go back to normal?

Xxx

Hiya :smile:

I had a colonoscopy done when I was 16, so about 6 yrs ago as they suspected Crohns Disease as it runs in my family and I'm not lying, there was nothing to it. I'll answer your questions as best as I can and don't hesitate to ask me any more if need be :smile:

1. The prep is the worst part. For about a day or 2 you are given a really strong laxative which for me, worked within half an hour of taking it and I was on the toilet every half an hour after that. It even woke me up at night. The diarrhea wasn't painful like normal diarrhea, more just annoying and inconvenient. Not being able to eat before (can't remember if it was 12 or 24 hrs before the procedure) was hellish and made me ill and grumpy.

Once you get to the hospital, you'll probably be taken to a pre op room. I was in with a few others waiting for their colonosopy or other endoscopy procedures. You'll be given a gown and you'll have your BP checked and the nurse will prep you. Once in the procedure room, that's when you'll get the sedative injection. The first one didn't work well on me and I was still wide awake after 5 mins and the second one worked within 2 mins. I don't remember anything whatsoever about the procedure. I just remember waking up in the post op room with my mum next to me laughing. Apparently I was humming and talking in my sleep lol. According to my mum the procedure took around 40 mins. It took me about 10 mins to come around but a good few hrs for all of the sedatives effects to wear off. I got some toast and orange juice and they observed me for an hour, just to make sure I wasn't bleeding from down there or took a reaction to the sedative. I felt no pain in my bum after it which surprised me because the meer thought of a colonoscopy made my bum hurt! Lol.

Like I said, I still felt groggy and weird for a good few hrs after the sedative but it was totally gone by the next day. Just make sure you bring someone with you as you can't drive or go on public transport yourself for up to 24 hrs after a sedative.

Good luck! :smile: And I'm not just saying its not bad to make you feel better, there really is nothing to it. I'm the worlds biggest whimp so you know its not bad if I think its fine! :tongue:
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Hi Yasmin! :smile: Thanks for your post. It was very reassuring, and I don't feel so nervous now! Just the thought of no eating for a while makes me feel grumpy- I know I've not got much of an appetite at the moment, but that's crazy! :O But, honestly, this post was very reassuring. Thanks very much! :smile:

I had a colonoscopy almost 2 years ago.
I had fears about the prep because everyone said how bad it was. I didn't find it too bad at first but when I got to the last half litre I found it difficult to down it. Make sure you have a nice flavoured drink (that fits their criteria) to wash it down afterwards. Other than that you will spend a lot of time sat on the toilet. Moist toilet tissue is essential or it will get very painful.
As Yasmin said, the procedure doesn't take too long.
For me the sedative didn't work. I remember everything. Sometimes they work for people, sometimes they don't. If you remember the procedure it isn't very pleasant and slightly painful. I would say that it is equally as bad as the prep.
You will need someone to take you home but it is very individual as to when you can go back to normal. I was fine straight away afterwards. Even the nurses were surprised as to how wide awake I was when I came out.

Just the thought of no eating for a while makes me feel grumpy- I know I've not got much of an appetite at the moment, but that's crazy!

The prep will make you forget about being hungry. Downing a lot of liquid made me feel really bloated and not wanting to eat.
Reply 4
Hi Yasmin! :smile: Thanks for your post. It was very reassuring, and I don't feel so nervous now! Just the thought of no eating for a while makes me feel grumpy- I know I've not got much of an appetite at the moment, but that's crazy! :O But, honestly, this post was very reassuring. Thanks very much! :smile:

You're welcome :smile: I was a nervous wreck before mine but it was a doddle other than the prep but even the prep isn't that bad, just annoying really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I have had a number of scopes and the prep is the worst bit, there are somethings that can make it easier though like folowing a low residue diet a couple of days before the prep, Wet wipes, sudocrem or something like that.

I agree with others about having something nice to have to mask the prep taste.

Personaly the actual scope wasnt too bad. After you will prob feel groggy and low on energy but they usualy give you a snack of some sort. Im pretty sure that you need someone to collect you and supervise you after sedation and i dont think your allowed to drive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Thanks for your replies, everyone. I can't drive, so it's not a problem anyway :tongue: also, this may sound like a really silly question, but does it hurt after the procedure? Sorry if this is a lot of questions :redface:
Reply 7
Like I said in my first post, to me my bum and abdomen never hurt whatsoever afterwards but I can imagine it would maybe be a little tender for some people. Generally though you mostly hear from people that it doesn't hurt afterwards :smile: maybe if you had a sore bum after taking the laxatives for the few days, you might be a little sore afterwards though but it'll be nothing unbearable :smile:

Do you have your date set for the procedure yet?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Okay, cheers again Yasmin! :smile: Feeling much better about it now. No, I don't have a date yet, I'm waiting for a phone call from the hospital, and they'll give me a date as well as talk through the prep with me. I've got the prep pack at home, and the diet for the day prior sounds really grim, haha!

But I can't thank you enough, you've put my mind at ease more than you can imagine! :biggrin:
Hello everyone,

Xxx

I was diagnosed with UC in February. Its not a very pleasant experience but you will feel so much better once you're diagnosed and on medication. If you're just having the large bowel investigated I'm guessing he suspects UC rather than crohns? ( but I'm no expert) It'll take around 10-15 mins. The prep, blowing you up with air is not at all bad until its
over and you get up and leave, its just like a really bad wind pain. I was not sedated and had no pain medication for mine and I cried out in pain a few times. The worst thing for me was the feeling of having a foreign object where it shouldn't be haha. No it wasn't nice, but if I did it with no pain relief and you're getting sedated and I didn't find it too bad you'll be fine. Definitely take a day off work/ school /uni afterwards. You'll probably have bad wind and be sore. It'll be ok though, honestly its not terrible! Good luck x
Reply 10
Iv had with and without sedation and gas and air, just sedation and nothing. And hardly remeber any pain just pressure apart from the prep causing soreness I seem to remeber as well that they like you to break wind on the recovery ward... I think it lets them know all the air is working its way out.... Theyve heard it all before so just let it out :-)
Was meant to answer this a while ago... again, thanks for your answers, peeps. I have an appointment for next Tuesday. I've asked if I can have an extra day at work so that I won't be left to over think (although it's going to be hard turning down the ice creams and free hot chocolate in the afternoon, haha!), and my grandmother is looking after me the next day.

Done with waiting, just want it over and done with now.
Many people in society are certainly performing a colonoscopy on themselves, for lack of a better phrase.
Was meant to answer this a while ago... again, thanks for your answers, peeps. I have an appointment for next Tuesday. I've asked if I can have an extra day at work so that I won't be left to over think (although it's going to be hard turning down the ice creams and free hot chocolate in the afternoon, haha!), and my grandmother is looking after me the next day.

Done with waiting, just want it over and done with now.

Best of luck for your colonoscopy. I'm sure everything will go smoothly :smile:
That's great that your grandmother is looking after you after it. My gran looked after me after mine too. Grannies are just the best :smile:

Let us know how you get on :smile:
I just got back from the hospital, and my gosh am I glad it was over. I was nice and calm beforehand, although feeling a bit funny as my appointment was delayed by an hour so I hadn't eaten for 26 hours. I was given sedation and painkillers, but my God did it hurt. The poor consultant had to stop for a few minutes so I could get a breather, and even with the gas and air and extra painkillers it was chuffing agony. They found proctitis (inflammation of my rectum- niiiice) and a slightly redundant colon, which they took biopsies from and the copy of the GP report I was given said that my sigmoid colon was "torturous, so it made for an uncomfortable procedure". You're telling me. The team must've thought I was a wimp, as a couple of times I was really close to tears, but they were really lovely, telling me I was doing really well, playing with my hair, and being encouraging. The poor consultant was being very apologetic. Gah. I can't fault the staff at all. I'm due to go back in a couple of weeks for a follow-up, and since the rest of the colon was OK, he'll look at my small bowel with an MRI at some point (which he said he'd do at the first appointment). Sacré bleu.

Thank you for your friendly advice though, everyone. It's been much appreciated.
I just got back from the hospital, and my gosh am I glad it was over. I was nice and calm beforehand, although feeling a bit funny as my appointment was delayed by an hour so I hadn't eaten for 26 hours. I was given sedation and painkillers, but my God did it hurt. The poor consultant had to stop for a few minutes so I could get a breather, and even with the gas and air and extra painkillers it was chuffing agony. They found proctitis (inflammation of my rectum- niiiice) and a slightly redundant colon, which they took biopsies from and the copy of the GP report I was given said that my sigmoid colon was "torturous, so it made for an uncomfortable procedure". You're telling me. The team must've thought I was a wimp, as a couple of times I was really close to tears, but they were really lovely, telling me I was doing really well, playing with my hair, and being encouraging. The poor consultant was being very apologetic. Gah. I can't fault the staff at all. I'm due to go back in a couple of weeks for a follow-up, and since the rest of the colon was OK, he'll look at my small bowel with an MRI at some point (which he said he'd do at the first appointment). Sacré bleu.

Thank you for your friendly advice though, everyone. It's been much appreciated.

Hi - I'm so glad I've seen this, it's both reassuring and I can tell you of my experiences!

My colonoscopy was agony too - my bowel prep didn't work properly so the result was inconclusive. So the pain wasn't really worth it! I was given the injection too, and my consultant had to keep stopping because of the pain. I don't mind admitting that I cried!

I had to have an MRI to look at my small bowel too, after my colonoscopy. That's not as bad, although the bowel prep for that didn't work either so I'm in a bit of a muddle!

Hope yours goes well!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds like colitis then? I'm glad its over for you! once you get medication you'll be on the road to recovery in no time. 7 months after diagnosis I'm in remission and it didn't take long after diagnosis to feel better. God knows why they didn't offer me any pain killers or sedatives and why I didn't ask. A horrific experience I'm sure none of us want to repeat anytime soon haha.
I'm genuinely so sorry to hear that you've both had horrible colonoscopies! :frown: They really are horrid. The sedation had zero effect, and the second round of painkillers only started to work when I was rolled onto my back for the last fifteen minutes. I have a very high pain threshold (there's been lots of times when I've had mild to no pain for things and everyone's gone "but doesn't that hurt!?") but for this, I had to be held down at one point as I was involuntarily thrashing around. Woops. I also feel really bad that my poor consultant kept on apologising multiple times, even though I kept saying not to worry as it wasn't his fault. Everyone was so lovely and supportive, and I'm glad I had it done, but still... I had a nightmare that night! :angry:

j1997, I'm so glad that you're in remission, and that you're better now. :hugs: And thank you for your reassurance and kind words, daisystones :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest