The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Making blanket statements like "I've found Guardian readers to be absolutely insincere and snobbish" makes you sound a bit judgemental, maybe even a little insecure and snobbish...
Who cares? Newspapers are self serving. Journalists are in their own bubble and they write what they can sell you. To be a consumer of content is nothing so why do you people care what paper you associate yourself with? Guardian readers are snobby, Daily Telegraph readers are snobby. At the end of the day you're still being sold whatever they tell you and you eat it up like the good little consumers that you are.
Original post by Welsh_insomniac
Who cares? Newspapers are self serving. Journalists are in their own bubble and they write what they can sell you. To be a consumer of content is nothing so why do you people care what paper you associate yourself with? Guardian readers are snobby, Daily Telegraph readers are snobby. At the end of the day you're still being sold whatever they tell you and you eat it up like the good little consumers that you are.

I think you just beat the op for most hypocritical post in the thread
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Am I the only person who likes The Guardian?

I think this is less about the newspaper itself and more about the readers. I don't think the newspaper is that bad (save the 'Comments' articles, writing one of those should put you on the list of people we sacrifice when martians come and demand 10% of the population) but the readers who comment online are just ****ing stupid.
Original post by WatermelonMan
I think you just beat the op for most hypocritical post in the thread

:wink:
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Am I the only person who likes The Guardian?

Nope.
The thing is that there are readers of all newspapers who are annoying or snobby or whatever. I think particularly on TSR, people tend to direct anger towards any group that has views which are generally opposed to/different from their own. It is quite clear that there are many more vocal right-wing people on TSR, and there is far less criticism of right-wing leaning newspapers of around the same standard as the Guardian.
The Guardian is the only mainstream British media source that will take a non-sycophantic stance on the monarchy, and the only source that bothers to put them under scrutiny. For that, it deserves praise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's why I get my unbiased news from www.scmp.com , www.chinadaily.com.cn , and http://english.peopledaily.com.cn :biggrin: :wink:
Why are DM readers intellectually challenged?
What are people's views on The Times, Independent, The Metro, Evening Standard, BBC, The Sun, The Daily Express, Daily Star, Mirror ...etc?
Original post by LaughingBro
What are people's views on The Times, Independent, The Metro, Evening Standard, BBC, The Sun, The Daily Express, Daily Star, Mirror ...etc?

I prefer to get my news from multiple sources. I can't trust news from just one source. I generally don't touch the Daily Star, Mirror and Sun with a barge pole though.

The Metro is pretty meh. I'll read it a bit on the train, but it's nothing to write home about IMO. Too many adverts too, but I suppose it costs to publish a free paper and they need to pay the bills somehow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 52
I love both the daily mail and the guardian just because I find the comments very entertaining. For actual news I tend to stick to the BBC website.
Original post by Toriar
I love both the daily mail and the guardian just because I find the comments very entertaining. For actual news I tend to stick to the BBC website.

The comments are entertaining in a 'watch these bunch of chimps throw faeces at each other' way. There are a few good comments in each article to be fair, but you usually can't avoid the people who resort to insults (calling people stupid, humiliating people, patronising, questioning intelligence, sexism, racism, ageism, etc) and telling people to 'piss off'. It all creates an environment where everyone has guns and doesn't want to drop them and admit they were wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by brownbearxo
Many on here do. Just last week I had someone swearing that an article was academic evidence and proof of the law. Just had to step away from that one.

I doubt that. Can you link this post?
Original post by yoursoulismine
The comments are entertaining in a 'watch these bunch of chimps throw faeces at each other' way. There are a few good comments in each article to be fair, but you usually can't avoid the people who resort to insults (calling people stupid, humiliating people, patronising, questioning intelligence, sexism, racism, ageism, etc) and telling people to 'piss off'. It all creates an environment where everyone has guns and doesn't want to drop them and admit they were wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This I certainly do not believe. Please point us towards a few Guardian articles with such comments.

I do find it entertaining that while you are enjoying mouthing off about the Guardian you don't manage to find the time to respond to polite and reasonable posts disagreeing with you.
Every news outlet has some agenda, there is no truly unbiased news. That includes the BBC. They all either spin a story their way, or pick and choose what to report in the first place. There's countless stupid people in this country who can't think for themselves and base their opinions and lives on the total crap written by the newspapers. The media is all run by wealthy people who have their own interests to remain wealthy and to be in bed with those in power. It's never going to change either because people continue to consume all their bull****. The typical person doesn't seem to have any idea how powerful the media is, and how easily they have people by the balls.

Incidentally, I read the Guardian sometimes... *cough*
Original post by Birkenhead
This I certainly do not believe. Please point us towards a few Guardian articles with such comments.

I do find it entertaining that while you are enjoying mouthing off about the Guardian you don't manage to find the time to respond to polite and reasonable posts disagreeing with you.

I was saying that about both Daily Mail and Guardian comments boxes. Let me correct myself and say that most comments sections on the internet are guilty of the same thing.
I shouldn't have to prove that. If you have been on the internet long enough you'd have seen it.

Some polite and reasonable posts disagreeing with me? I'm assuming you mean just yours?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by yoursoulismine
I was saying that about both Daily Mail and Guardian comments boxes. Let me correct myself and say that most comments sections on the internet are guilty of the same thing.
I shouldn't have to prove that. If you have been on the internet long enough you'd have seen it.

On the internet, yes; on the Guardian, no, and your accusations were directed at the Guardian. It shouldn't be hard for you to provide links to a few examples of these awful comments sections you have nobly warned us all about, unless of course the hateful accusations you've filled this thread with have no evidence to support themselves and you're hoping no one would request proof because this is a convenient way for you to tarnish a newspaper you seem to have a morbid degree of enmity towards.

Some polite and reasonable posts disagreeing with me? I'm assuming you mean just yours?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was referring to my other respons to you, yes.
What do you read? The Sun?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest