The Student Room Group

What option should i undertake to become an accountant?

I have two options. I have a conditional offer for accounting and finance at kent university. The degree is three years long. If i complete the degree and pass all my exams i will be exempt from the first 9 ACCA exams. I can then complete my acca after uni while gaining the experience required to become an accountant. My second option is to apply to a school leavers scheme at either LSBF or BPP. Here is a link to one of the schemes offered by LSBF (http://www.lsbf.org.uk/programmes/professional/acca/school-leavers.html). Thank you in advance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by mhassan
I have two options. I have a conditional offer for accounting and finance at kent university. The degree is three years long. If i complete the degree and pass all my exams i will be exempt from the first 9 ACCA exams. I can then complete my acca after uni while gaining the experience required to become an accountant. My second option is to apply to a school leavers scheme at either LSBF or BPP. Here is a link to one of the schemes offered by LSBF (http://www.lsbf.org.uk/programmes/professional/acca/school-leavers.html). Thank you in advance

Do the Degree
Reply 2
Original post by ItsJJ
Do the Degree

Why do you think doing the degree is the best option?
Reply 3
Original post by mhassan
Why do you think doing the degree is the best option?

More options available to you afterwards... come on shouldn't have to ask stuff like this its common sense....
Reply 4
Original post by ItsJJ
More options available to you afterwards... come on shouldn't have to ask stuff like this its common sense....

That's one pro but what about the other side of the argument. Reduced tuition fees, completion of ACCA earlier, gain real life job experience.
Reply 5
Original post by mhassan
That's one pro but what about the other side of the argument. Reduced tuition fees, completion of ACCA earlier, gain real life job experience.

stop complaining about student fees. Get accounting degree, get into Big 4 or GT/BDO earn money + free qualification, network. Deloitte give 32k to graduates who played sport at Uni and increases roughly 17.5% each year.
Reply 6
Original post by ItsJJ
stop complaining about student fees. Get accounting degree, get into Big 4 or GT/BDO earn money + free qualification, network. Deloitte give 32k to graduates who played sport at Uni and increases roughly 17.5% each year.

Do these companies you mentioned look at the university you obtained your degree or is it more about the class of the degree such as 1st. For example would it be better if i achieved a 1st at Westminster or 2.2 at kent uni.
Reply 7
Original post by mhassan
Do these companies you mentioned look at the university you obtained your degree or is it more about the class of the degree such as 1st. For example would it be better if i achieved a 1st at Westminster or 2.2 at kent uni.

Well apparently firms are becoming more relaxed on what university you go to and rather prefer to judge on your performance. I would still choose Kent but I would work hard to achieve 2.1 or first.
Reply 8
Original post by ItsJJ
Well apparently firms are becoming more relaxed on what university you go to and rather prefer to judge on your performance. I would still choose Kent but I would work hard to achieve 2.1 or first.

Oh ok, I'm just asking because I'm worried i won't get my firm choice (kent) and instead get Westminster my insurance. Both degrees offer 9 exemption though.
Reply 9
Original post by mhassan
Oh ok, I'm just asking because I'm worried i won't get my firm choice (kent) and instead get Westminster my insurance. Both degrees offer 9 exemption though.

If going to a better university really matters to you, then you could always work hard, get a 1st then do masters at a better uni
Original post by mhassan

Depends on your A level results.

If you want to go to uni in order to then get a graduate job with the big 4, for audit, you'd need at least BBB to be considered. Ideally you'd have AAB-ABB. What you don't want to do is get say BBC, go to Westminister, get a 2.1 and then end up at a no-name firm which you could've ended up at via the school leaver route.

Of course, smaller practices could still be open to you.

I will say, a degree will give you more flexibility, in case you decide accounting is not for you.
Reply 11
Original post by Tomatochuckers

If you want to go to uni in order to then get a graduate job with the big 4, for audit, you'd need at least BBB to be considered. Ideally you'd have AAB-ABB. What you don't want to do is get say BBC, go to Westminister, get a 2.1 and then end up at a no-name firm which you could've ended up at via the school leaver route.

I will say, a degree will give you more flexibility, in case you decide accounting is not for you.

BDO is a no name firm? its hq is on baker street and it has £500m revenue each year its not a no name....
Reply 12

If i get a first at Westminster is it not possible to get into a top 10 accountant firm?
Original post by ItsJJ
BDO is a no name firm? its hq is on baker street and it has £500m revenue each year its not a no name....

I am talking about non-top 30s. Chances are the entry requirements for BDO/GT/RSM are the same as Big 4

Original post by mhassan
If i get a first at Westminster is it not possible to get into a top 10 accountant firm?

Depends on your A levels and the firm. Some firms (big 4) will require a 2.1 and X UCAS points (from top 3 A levels). Others won't specify how many UCAS points you need.
Reply 14
I am talking about non-top 30s. Chances are the entry requirements for BDO/GT/RSM are the same as Big 4

Depends on your A levels and the firm. Some firms (big 4) will require a 2.1 and X UCAS points (from top 3 A levels). Others won't specify how many UCAS points you need.

BDO is BBC and http://mycareer.deloitte.com/uk/en/university/apply-now/academic-requirements - look at the tax... so sit down and be quiet.
Original post by ItsJJ
BDO is BBC and http://mycareer.deloitte.com/uk/en/university/apply-now/academic-requirements - look at the tax... so sit down and be quiet.

Love it how you picked the one Deloitte programme which accepted BBC, (and that's with a 1st at uni)

I was right about the rest of the big 4, GT ballpark at around 300 but they sometimes overlook UCAS, and I didn't categorically state I knew for sure what the reqs for BDO were.

Also, I am most likely better placed to give advice than you. I've done a 6 month placement at a big 4, recieved a school leaver offer with another of the big 4, did spring weeks with the other two of the big 4, and study A+F at uni as well.

Acting like a badman behind a keyboard isn't cool btw, so drop the attitude.
Reply 16
Love it how you picked the one Deloitte programme which accepted BBC, (and that's with a 1st at uni)

I was right about the rest of the big 4, GT ballpark at around 300 but they sometimes overlook UCAS, and I didn't categorically state I knew for sure what the reqs for BDO were.

Also, I am most likely better placed to give advice than you. I've done a 6 month placement at a big 4, recieved a school leaver offer with another of the big 4, did spring weeks with the other two of the big 4, and study A+F at uni as well.

Yes one place and that shows that there is still a possibility for somebody to go to a big 4 with BBC, don't bother trying to justify it.

Bit of a bitchy statement - "Also, I am most likely better placed to give advice than you." If you must know I'm about to start a scholar scheme with Deloitte so you aren't really in a better position than I am. Second of all, you don't need to work for the company to find out if you need certain requirements to apply for a job there. All you need is to be able to read.

Common sense please.
Original post by mhassan

depends on you, if you got good a level grades and want to start working early then school leavers is the best option but if you take the graduate route that's even harder to get into because you're expected a lot more.. i think school leaver programme is better but do look more into it and decide for yourself.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18

What uni are you doing accounting finance at?
Reply 19
Original post by mightyfrog2_10
depends on you, if you got good a level grades and want to start working early then school leavers is the best option but if you take the graduate route that's even harder to get into because you're expected a lot more.. i think school leaver programme is better but do look more into it and decide for yourself.

Yeah i think the school leavers is better but only if you do the programme at a top 4 firm. They are very competitive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending