The Student Room Group

What option should i undertake to become an accountant?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mhassan
Yeah i think the school leavers is better but only if you do the programme at a top 4 firm. They are very competitive.

what i meant was they're competitive but not as hard to get into compared to the grad schemes,
no not true BDO, Moore Stephens, Grant Thornton, Baker Tilly, Mazars also have good schemes and their minimum criteria is quite high. PwC have the minimum criteria set out from the other three - want minimum of 280 ucas points and C in Maths and English....
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by mightyfrog2_10
what i meant was they're competitive but not as hard to get into compared to the grad schemes,
no not true BDO, Moore Stephens, Grant Thornton, Baker Tilly, Mazars also have good schemes and their minimum criteria is quite high. PwC have the minimum criteria set out from the other three - want minimum of 280 ucas points and C in Maths and English....

Having a degree is more flexible. ACCA + degree is better than ACCA. The firms you mentioned are multinationals as well. So in different context i mean a degree is better than a school leavers scheme at a private accountancy firm. I think only the top 4 teach you ACA which is known to be more pretigious than ACCA.
Could you be earning about £90k if you got into accounting? And after how many years/at what age after uni, if so? Would you have to go to a top 10 RG for an undergraduate degree to stand a chance of earning £70/80/90k?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by mhassan
Having a degree is more flexible. ACCA + degree is better than ACCA. The firms you mentioned are multinationals as well. So in different context i mean a degree is better than a school leavers scheme at a private accountancy firm. I think only the top 4 teach you ACA which is known to be more pretigious than ACCA.

ah right, degree actually sounds better for you then but i'm not too sure man research on it abit more...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by ItsJJ
Do the Degree

Hi, what do you think is a better option. I have offers from both. I can either do accounting with management at Westminster university or economics and accounting at Brunel university. However Westminster offer 9 ACCA exemptions while Brunel only offer 3 ACCA exemptions. Thanks in advance
Reply 25
ah right, degree actually sounds better for you then but i'm not too sure man research on it abit more...

Hi, I wanted to ask you the same question. what do you think is a better option. I have offers from both. I can either do accounting with management at Westminster university or economics and accounting at Brunel university. However Westminster offer 9 ACCA exemptions while Brunel only offer 3 ACCA exemptions. Thanks in advance. So if i was to got to Brunel it would take me longer to become qualified but Brunel is a much better uni.
Original post by mhassan
Hi, I wanted to ask you the same question. what do you think is a better option. I have offers from both. I can either do accounting with management at Westminster university or economics and accounting at Brunel university. However Westminster offer 9 ACCA exemptions while Brunel only offer 3 ACCA exemptions. Thanks in advance. So if i was to got to Brunel it would take me longer to become qualified but Brunel is a much better uni.

Hi, I would go with brunel tbh sounds like a better course too, it's a better uni than westminister university so it'll look good when you apply for jobs but im not too sure man, hopefully someone else will comment on this. Why do you get 9 exemptions from westminster though??
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 27
Hi, I would go with brunel tbh sounds like a better course too, it's a better uni than westminister university so it'll look good when you apply for jobs but im not too sure man, hopefully someone else will comment on this. Why do you get 9 exemptions from westminster though??

ok thanks for the advice. I think you get 9 exemptions from Westminster because the course is strictly accounting while the course in Brunel consists of economics as well.
Original post by mhassan
ok thanks for the advice. I think you get 9 exemptions from Westminster because the course is strictly accounting while the course in Brunel consists of economics as well.

no problem! Ah i see how long do you have to decide? which one do you think is better? have you been to an open day for the two unis?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 29
no problem! Ah i see how long do you have to decide? which one do you think is better? have you been to an open day for the two unis?

I have one day to decide. I think I'm swaying towards Brunel because it offers a placement year and the overall reputation of the uni is more better. I have only visited Westminster and found it average tbh, nothing special. I haven't been Brunel as i applied through clearing and am planning to move out if i accept it. With my a levels results ABB i would feel like going Westminster would be a step down. The course at Westminster only requires CCC.
Original post by mhassan
I have one day to decide. I think I'm swaying towards Brunel because it offers a placement year and the overall reputation of the uni is more better. I have only visited Westminster and found it average tbh, nothing special. I haven't been Brunel as i applied through clearing and am planning to move out if i accept it. With my a levels results ABB i would feel like going Westminster would be a step down. The course at Westminster only requires CCC.

Ah yep i totally agree! plus the course at Brunel seems more interesting than Accounting and management at Westminster, All the best with it, hope it turns out well for you! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Some quick points (which may be too late now). The more ACCA exemptions you get the more it is akin to a professional paper you are taking, and not a degree; you will miss the vital underpinning skills needed to be a competent AC the more exemptions you get - the final papers will be tougher; work experience is to be recommended; ACA is offered by all chartered AC firms (and only them); ACCA has more flexibility & you can achieve this in practice, industry, charities, public sector; no difference between the work an ACCA qualified can do (i am BTW) & an ACA; AC is a very very competitive profession - the £80/£90 k is not typical, even in London

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello all,

For anyone who’s interested in entering the accountancy industry, we would like to recommend a recent report that we produced in partnership with accountancy job site GAAPweb after a survey with 149 employers in the UK

Just a few interesting points from the report:
- 46% of employers place importance on a professional qualification when looking for entry-level accountancy candidates.
- 73% rate previous work experience as “extremely important” or “important”
- 88% employers stated that communication skills are regarded as the most useful attribute, closely followed by people skills and teamwork (84%).

The accountancy industry is a major contributor to the economy and in 2012 there were more than 165,000 students registered with accountancy bodies in the UK. If you are interested, LSBF and GAAPweb’s Industry Report; ‘What do Financial and Accounting Employers Want?’ can be accessed here: http://bit.ly/LSBF-GAAPweb-Report

Also, we have just published an article here on The Student Rooms titled "What does the future of accountancy look like?", which you will probably find very helpful: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...y_look_like%3F

Finally, if you are interested, you can find more details about our ACCA for School Leavers programme, where you will get an accountancy qualification (ACCA), a degree in Applied Accounting and workplace skills. Plus, we will make sure to put your CV in front of the right people as soon as you start the course. More details here: http://lp.lsbf.org.uk/professional/acca-school-leavers/

If you have any questions, we will be more than happy to help.

Best regards,
LSBF Social Media Team
Reply 33
Ah yep i totally agree! plus the course at Brunel seems more interesting than Accounting and management at Westminster, All the best with it, hope it turns out well for you! :smile:

Thanks man, appreciate the help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending