The Student Room Group

Ditching a 50k banking job for half the salary

I'm due to start a grad banking job this summer. After having done two internships and realizing how much of a soul destroying, corporate-BS filled role it is, I'm going to ditch it for one half the salary which involves a role which I am hoping will get me better learning and development opportunities in the future, and more oriented towards my long term passion.

Only problem is, I've got this idiotic irrational side of my brain that's telling me I'm doing the wrong thing, and that the only way I'd ever be successful in dating worthy women is if I had a high income start to my career. This is further exacerbated by the face that I am London as well.

Am I doing the right thing? Is the fact that women like men with high income really significant factor when it comes to dating?

I kinda know the answer to this question already, but I just need a few others to tell me I'm an idiot for thinking this way :rolleyes:

Scroll to see replies

Women, especially women 23/24+ like men with a high income salary and it can be significant factor when it comes to dating. Saying that, starting on 25k doesnt exactly make you poor.
Original post by thatrollingstone
I'm due to start a grad banking job this summer. After having done two internships and realizing how much of a soul destroying, corporate-BS filled role it is, I'm going to ditch it for one half the salary which involves a role which I am hoping will get me better learning and development opportunities in the future, and more oriented towards my long term passion.

Only problem is, I've got this idiotic irrational side of my brain that's telling me I'm doing the wrong thing, and that the only way I'd ever be successful in dating worthy women is if I had a high income start to my career. This is further exacerbated by the face that I am London as well.

Am I doing the right thing? Is the fact that women like men with high income really significant factor when it comes to dating?

I kinda know the answer to this question already, but I just need a few others to tell me I'm an idiot for thinking this way :rolleyes:

what is a worthy woman? :confused:

Personally for me income is not a factor I'd take into account when looking to date someone, it's not important to me.
I'm almost in the same situation.
My dad is a banker at a top bank and would be willing to sub me into his team/somewhere in the bank or his contacts so that I start earning quite big money, even though I don't have the right qualifications. I however know how much travelling, negotiating, computer-staring, etc is involved - or, as you aptly put it, 'soul-destroying'.

I've decided to pursue a degree in Geography because once I'm done I can go into anything - journalism to marketing to whatnot. Basically, jobs that I love and involve out-of-office work rather than being in front of a computer the whole day.

Having had this experience, I'd say follow your heart - on one hand if you keep this corporate job you'll be better off in the future and perhaps can afford to, say, in 10 years time, move to a job which suits your personality better?

However on the other hand, if money plays a big role in your life as well as meeting rich women, then I wouldn't be choosing a job with half the pay...

hope I've provided some food for thought!
I agree with the person above. There is far more I look for in a potential partner.
Reply 5
Original post by SophieSmall

Personally for me income is not a factor I'd take into account when looking to date someone, it's not important to me.

How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

income isn't a problem really for those under 23/24
Original post by Dylann
How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

income isn't a problem really for those under 23/24

19, but my views are not going to change because the only income I plan to ever be reliant on is my own.

Follow your passion dude do not put women above your own happiness if you truly enjoy something then go for it. I'm not going to deny it but money will attract more women but the fact is that many of these women will only be with you for one thing and that is money. Your happiness is more important why stick with a job that makes you nothing but miserable at the end of the day? Go do something that you really enjoy and you might find yourself a good lady along the way.

Goodluck.
(edited 9 years ago)
Are you..Are you serious man?
Original post by SophieSmall

Just someone really intelligent and passionate about something. Nothing to do with income.
Reply 10
I'm going to ditch it for one half the salary which involves a role which I am hoping will get me better learning and development opportunities in the future, and more oriented towards my long term passion.

What exactly is this role, why does it give you better opportunities for the future and what is your long term passion?
Just someone really intelligent and passionate about something. Nothing to do with income.

Ooooh I see, it was just the way you worded it :tongue:

anyway as I answered your question, to me it wouldn't matter.
(edited 9 years ago)

I think for the long run, you are doing the right thing :smile:

I do find the recent IB obsession quite absurd, the banks are bigger than ever. And are only here today due to bailouts from the tax payers of the world and continuing QE from central banks which essentially extracts wealth from citizens through inflation etc.

How much longer can this scam really go on for?

I've been in your position, I think there will be something shameful in telling my grandchildren in the future that I was a bankster. And I do not want to be there if pitchforks come my way :tongue:

It also depends on what the other role is :smile: I'm assuming it's of course most likely a role which provides wealth to society rather than extracts it. Do you think you'd find it more enjoyable and satisfying?

Personally I'd like to think women would date me for who I am rather than my pay. Sure it may make finding a woman (sadly in todays society) a tad bit harder, but it would probably be more likely to last and be more meaningful.

£25k is still not a bad amount of money to start off with! You can progress from there and earn more in subsequent years. You'll have much more time as well to date etc. and like you suggested... you'd have more of a soul :tongue:
Original post by p.formanko
I'm almost in the same situation.
My dad is a banker at a top bank and would be willing to sub me into his team/somewhere in the bank or his contacts so that I start earning quite big money, even though I don't have the right qualifications. I however know how much travelling, negotiating, computer-staring, etc is involved - or, as you aptly put it, 'soul-destroying'.

I've decided to pursue a degree in Geography because once I'm done I can go into anything - journalism to marketing to whatnot. Basically, jobs that I love and involve out-of-office work rather than being in front of a computer the whole day.

Having had this experience, I'd say follow your heart - on one hand if you keep this corporate job you'll be better off in the future and perhaps can afford to, say, in 10 years time, move to a job which suits your personality better?

However on the other hand, if money plays a big role in your life as well as meeting rich women, then I wouldn't be choosing a job with half the pay...

hope I've provided some food for thought!

Thanks for your post. Geography definitely sounds more interesting than banking - but it's down to the individual person of course.

I remember coming across one of these articles as well which helped me with my perspective change:
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/feb/01/top-five-regrets-of-the-dying

For me ditching banking definitely what my heart is saying. However, I have some expensive hobbies which can only be supplemented with a high salary, but I am hoping a future rise in the new field will help with that.
Reply 14
Also, if you're talking about the investment banking division (M&A, ECM, DCM) and you already feel like quitting before even starting, then don't start. You won't survive and you won't make any real money.
If there was a woman in your situation would you rather be with:

Woman A) Who went for a higher paid job, with the only intention of hoping to meet succesful men, and putting the odds in her favour of meeting someone of her "worthiness"

or Woman B) Who decided to live the life she wanted to live, with disregard to what people thought and lack of caring how much she earned to give herself an edge with men.

And just because you asked, I think you are an idiot for thinking this way.

Although, personally I would take the higher paid job, because I love money.
I think you need to sit down and have a little think about whether a woman who seriously factors a potential partner's salary into her decision to be with him or not is the kind of woman you want to attract anyway...
Bank for 10 years.. do whatever the hell you want later.
Original post by Wisefire
To the OP: I would say in your younger years definitely get the very best job you can possibly get, pay-wise; that's essential. You'll only be open to jobs at that pay level or more the older you get, generally, and you'll be even more satisfied for getting the money earlier on in life.

"And then then there is the most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later" - Randy Komisar
Original post by Black Cat
Follow your passion dude do not put women above your own happiness if you truly enjoy something then go for it. I'm not going to deny it but money will attract more women but the fact is that many of these women will only be with you for one thing and that is money. Your happiness is more important why stick with a job that makes you nothing but miserable at the end of the day? Go do something that you really enjoy and you might find yourself a good lady along the way.

Goodluck.

Thanks

Original post by Wisefire
To the OP: I would say in your younger years definitely get the very best job you can possibly get, pay-wise; that's essential. You'll only be open to jobs at that pay level or more the older you get, generally, and you'll be even more satisfied for getting the money earlier on in life.

Even at the expensive of general happiness/job satisfaction?

Original post by Swayum
Also, if you're talking about the investment banking division (M&A, ECM, DCM) and you already feel like quitting before even starting, then don't start. You won't survive and you won't make any real money.

I've done 2 internships already. And yes I feel like quitting, it's just a very self serving and BS ridden field to be in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending