The Student Room Group

uni or gap year?

A couple of months ago during my A-Levels, I had a sudden change of mind and decided I no longer wanted to go to university and wanted to do an apprenticeship instead. Now, I have just started an apprenticeship but I have realised that this is not what I want to do and still want to go to uni. After speaking to my parents about it, they suggested taking a gap year whilst I make a proper decision on what I want to do, but in the back of my mind I have always been set on going. Any help/opinions?
Reply 1
Original post by paigesummer96
A couple of months ago during my A-Levels, I had a sudden change of mind and decided I no longer wanted to go to university and wanted to do an apprenticeship instead. Now, I have just started an apprenticeship but I have realised that this is not what I want to do and still want to go to uni. After speaking to my parents about it, they suggested taking a gap year whilst I make a proper decision on what I want to do, but in the back of my mind I have always been set on going. Any help/opinions?

Do you actually know fully what sort of course you wish to do?

Otherwise you may make a rushed decision and waste valuable time + money + effort
Gap year sounds good as long as you have got it planned. I mean I'm not sure if u could apply through clearing. What course are u interested in studying?If your mind has been set on to studying at uni then I say go for it, as it is something that you want to do. Hoped it helped.:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by nadzworldz
Gap year sounds good as long as you have got it planned. I mean I'm not sure if u could apply through clearing. What course are u interested in studying?If your mind has been set on to studying at uni then I say go for it, as it is something that you want to do. Hoped it helped.:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have already applied but I'm not sure that I will get the grades I need for the course, so if not i would just go through clearing. Yes my mind is set on it but it's my parents that are against the idea so I don't want to cause more arguments. But yes it did help, thank you :smile:
I have already applied but I'm not sure that I will get the grades I need for the course, so if not i would just go through clearing. Yes my mind is set on it but it's my parents that are against the idea so I don't want to cause more arguments. But yes it did help, thank you :smile:
No probs. Aww don't think negative. why are your parents against the idea, is it the course you wan't to study or just going to uni?? But if it is what you want to do then I think you should personally go for it and shouldn't your parents be supportive?.:smile:
Reply 5
I would say don't rush into a degree that you don't want, but seriously, don't take a gap year if you're just planning on travelling or working in Asda, you really need to make it count - otherwise it's just a waste of time.
I did an apprenticeship after my a-levels, and then worked. So in total I took 2 years out. I got amazing work experience and skills, and have just finished my first year in uni.
If you plan your gap year, it can be a terrific and insightful year. I went to Uni as a gap year and re-taking A-levels was just a no no for me. Glad I made the decision I did.
No probs. Aww don't think negative. why are your parents against the idea, is it the course you wan't to study or just going to uni?? But if it is what you want to do then I think you should personally go for it and shouldn't your parents be supportive?.:smile:

They just think that I would be wasting 3 years of my life and money, and I don't think they want me to move out yet either haha
Original post by Jkizer
Do you actually know fully what sort of course you wish to do?

Otherwise you may make a rushed decision and waste valuable time + money + effort

Yes I would still like to do the course I originally applied for, but also there is another course I am considering.
Original post by ldsbabe
I would say don't rush into a degree that you don't want, but seriously, don't take a gap year if you're just planning on travelling or working in Asda, you really need to make it count - otherwise it's just a waste of time.
I did an apprenticeship after my a-levels, and then worked. So in total I took 2 years out. I got amazing work experience and skills, and have just finished my first year in uni.

That's what I'm unsure about, what I would like to do for a gap year as I have not thought it through, and I have realised that this apprenticeship is not what I want to do and I still want to do what I originally applied for at uni, although it's not what others think is best for me. Thanks :smile:
Original post by derma2019
If you plan your gap year, it can be a terrific and insightful year. I went to Uni as a gap year and re-taking A-levels was just a no no for me. Glad I made the decision I did.

I'm always last minute making decisions so I haven't really had the time to plan a gap year, and I definitely won't be re-taking A-levels. Thanks :smile:
They just think that I would be wasting 3 years of my life and money, and I don't think they want me to move out yet either haha
Well you wouldn't be wasting 3 years as you will gain skills and higher chances of employemnt with a degree, and money well a lot of students are in the same boat and you could apply for a local uni. What course are you interested in studying? And have already started an apprenticeship?
(edited 9 years ago)
Well you wouldn't be wasting 3 years as you will gain skills and higher chances of employemnt with a degree, and money well a lot of students are in the same boat and you could apply for a local uni. What course are you interested in studying? And have already started an apprenticeship?

That's what I tell them but they won't listen. And I have already applied for Journalism, but if I don't get the points for that I am thinking of Business Management, both very different I know but I enjoy both of the topic areas. And yes I started a couple of weeks ago. People will say that that isn't long enough to decide but I just don't think the overall placement and job is for me in the long-run.
Yes as long as you know what you enjoy and my advice is to think about whether you really want to it and if yes then you should go for it, have you researched the careers that you can get into and you are fully aware of the course. Anyway you have a important and huge decision to make just like myself and I wish you the best:smile:and if you ever want to talk and I'm here.:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes as long as you know what you enjoy and my advice is to think about whether you really want to it and if yes then you should go for it, have you researched the careers that you can get into and you are fully aware of the course. Anyway you have a important and huge decision to make just like myself and I wish you the best:smile:and if you ever want to talk and I'm here.:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got into the university I didn't think I would! That's just confirmed it because of how excited I am haha! Thank you, and the same to you :smile:
Well hey congrats and good for you:smile: think I need a lot of luck right now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well hey congrats and good for you:smile: think I need a lot of luck right now

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thankyou!! Aw I'm sure you will be fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest