The Student Room Group

Missed Grades = Missed Medicine Offer?

What are the chances of you still being accepted for Medicine if you miss one of the grades? For example if your offer is A* AA and you obtain AAA. What factors do they consider the most in deciding whether to still give you the place? Also when you contact the admissions office on results day, is the person that you are speaking to over the phone usually the one who has the power to still offer you the place?
I am aware that medicine is heavily over subscribed but interested to know what are my chances realistically.
Thank you
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Bump, its the day before and i'm getting desperate. :frown:
Reply 2
The day before at midnight lol, there's more than 24 hours until you get your results.

As I understand it, very few get in having missed offers. I've only heard of less than 5 personally.
That said, in the unfortunate event you do miss your grades, will you not bother calling up your firm choice just because some random person on the internet has told you the chances are none?
Reply 3
Original post by Kabatas
What are the chances of you still being accepted for Medicine if you miss one of the grades? For example if your offer is A* AA and you obtain AAA. What factors do they consider the most in deciding whether to still give you the place? Also when you contact the admissions office on results day, is the person that you are speaking to over the phone usually the one who has the power to still offer you the place?
I am aware that medicine is heavily over subscribed but interested to know what are my chances realistically.
Thank you

Generally, if an offer is missed then the place will be lost for medicine. Medical schools get the results a fair few days before (they already have the results and have likely made their decisions, waiting to be released tomorrow) and they will have all the discussions around people missing offers by a small margin etc. ahead of time. But unfortunately as you say it's a very oversubscribed course likely with a waiting list of people who did achieve their offers.

It is still worth calling up the medical school if you miss your offer, particularly if you only miss your offer by a little (they only recieve grades, not UMS marks). If you're considering a priority remark let them know as well.

At this point it really doesn't help to worry. Get the phone numbers prepared for tomorrow and get a good nights sleep tonight. Good luck.
Reply 4
Thank you for both the responses, im just going to yolo it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending