The Student Room Group

I have a chest deformity and feel self conscious about the way it looks (male)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Tbh if you'd just posted the pictures, I probably wouldn't have noticed anything different about your chest.
Reply 21
I have this too! It's never really bothered me and surgery definitely isn't an option unless it's a very severe case which has lead to complications - which yours obviously isn't.
It's nothing to worry about at all.
I wouldn't have noticed there was anything wrong with your chest if you hadn't pointed it out. I know its easy for us who don't have something we are self conscious about to say but its honestly not bad and barely noticeable :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Honestly, don't worry about it :smile: It doesn't look bad at all, and anyway it's quite mild compared to other things I've googled :smile:
I actually have a little bit of a deformity, only on one side.
I'll post a picture from Google which is exactly the same as my situation :smile:

I'm a little conscious about it but I've learnt to accept it - I'm sure you'll be able to as well! :h:
Original post by Anonymous
I have a chest deformity called pectus excavatum where there is an inwards 'hole' in the middle of my chest and a rib flare on my bottom ribs. I feel self conscious about this because -to me- you can see that I have a chest abnormality through clothing. My friends don't seem to notice it but I can't help being conscious of the fact my body is different to other peoples and there is nothing I can do about it - apart from major surgery (that requires being on morphine for a month post-surgery simply to prevent passing out from the pain) which I'm not at all inclined to even consider.

Lately I've been thinking that it probably doesn't looks as bad as I think it does and just want to see how people react when they see it or whether they'd notice it at all :smile:

Images below

Spoiler

It doesn't look anywhere near as bad as I thought it would in those photos, which is great :biggrin:

You are lucky it isn't that severe. It doesnt look noticeable either.
I have both types in which my chest goes in (excavatum) and sticks out (carinatum), just think how bad that looks :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest