The Student Room Group

Bad AS grades with extenuating circumstances

Hi, two years ago I started taking A-levels, due to learning and social disabilities I didn't fit well into the environment, having been bullied extensively throughout GCSEs and remained in the same school and didn't do so well in exams. I dropped out to study a BTEC at a local college in IT to gain access to a university for CompSci. I'm doing a lot better now and have decided to take the A2 portion of Maths myself, at home, to increase the amount I can apply to. Most top universities accept the BTEC with Maths (DDDA) and I'm predicted (D*DD.) Will universities reject me based on these AS results even though I have these extenuating circumstances or would they give me an offer based on getting a high grade in A-level Maths? I don't think these grades are reflective at all of my true skill. Also, what should I predict myself for Maths?

Physics C
Maths C
Biology E
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by irrationalandrea
Hi, two years ago I started taking A-levels, due to learning and social disabilities I didn't fit well into the environment, having been bullied extensively throughout GCSEs and remained in the same school and didn't do so well in exams. I dropped out to study a BTEC at a local college in IT to gain access to a university for CompSci. I'm doing a lot better now and have decided to take the A2 portion of Maths myself, at home, to increase the amount I can apply to. Most top universities accept the BTEC with Maths (DDDA) and I'm predicted (D*DD.) Will universities reject me based on these AS results even though I have these extenuating circumstances or would they give me an offer based on getting a high grade in A-level Maths? I don't think these grades are reflective at all of my true skill. Also, what should I predict myself for Maths?

Physics C
Maths C
Biology E
What the unis will be interested in is how much progress you have made since you had such a difficult time.

You will need a referee who can comment on your academic ability, and they should predict your grade for A level Maths - nothing to stop you discussing this with them, but you can't enter a prediction yourself. If your referee can't or won't enter a prediction, there won't be one.

It will be important to make sure that your reference reflects enough detail about your extenuating circumstances to explain your AS results, but also that you have now turned it around.
Original post by Minerva
What the unis will be interested in is how much progress you have made since you had such a difficult time.

You will need a referee who can comment on your academic ability, and they should predict your grade for A level Maths - nothing to stop you discussing this with them, but you can't enter a prediction yourself. If your referee can't or won't enter a prediction, there won't be one.

It will be important to make sure that your reference reflects enough detail about your extenuating circumstances to explain your AS results, but also that you have now turned it around.

OK Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending