The Student Room Group

How do I go about becoming an investment banker?h

Hello,

Right I have only just turned 16 years old and I have just recently left high school

I get my results back on the 21st of August (this month) which I am predicted

B-Business
B-Mathematics
C-English
C-ICT
D-Science

I already have
BTEC-PASS- In Health and Social (equivalent to a GCSE C)
NVQ-PASS- In Spanish (equivalent to a GCSE B)

I am looking to become an investment banker however I have no idea how to get there.. What I need to study in College?.. What apprenticeships are their available to get into investment banking?.. How long are the courses?.. Do I need to take any A-levels?.. If so what ones?..
Reply 1
Do a Bsc in a mathematical degree/ finance/accounting related
Do work experience in a bank
Apply for an analyst position grad scheme in a bank

Why do you want to be a banker though?
Reply 2
I wouldn't think apprenticeships get into investment banking, though I may be wrong. As far as I'm aware, all you need is a 2:1 in a Bsc. It helps if its mathematical/related to finance, though I would say that isn't essential.
Original post by Shellydaintyx
Hello,

Right I have only just turned 16 years old and I have just recently left high school

I get my results back on the 21st of August (this month) which I am predicted

B-Business
B-Mathematics
C-English
C-ICT
D-Science

I already have
BTEC-PASS- In Health and Social (equivalent to a GCSE C)
NVQ-PASS- In Spanish (equivalent to a GCSE B)

I am looking to become an investment banker however I have no idea how to get there.. What I need to study in College?.. What apprenticeships are their available to get into investment banking?.. How long are the courses?.. Do I need to take any A-levels?.. If so what ones?..

You basically need to get into a top 10 uni, there are exceptions but the most likely root is through one of those. Study economics, maths, science etc, againpeople with history etc get in but the most likely way in is through these types of degrees. You also need to do an internship in IB whilst at uni for any chance. Also need a lot of luck.

IB is exceptionally competitive and difficult to get into. So many peopel try and fail. Also the end job is extremely difficult. Be prepared if it's what you want to do. I couldn't do it. I work in an investment bank but in software dev and I know a few of the IBs and my gfs cousin was one too. You must get into uni though, it would be really rare, if possible to get in without going.
Depends what you want to do. There are apprenticeships for operations and middle office, for front office then you have to follow what has already been said.
Reply 5
lol, am I the only one awake here?

Guy is predicted Bs - Ds for his GCSE. Based off his academics thus far has no chance in hell of breaking into IB.

OP, you will need to do A levels, and you're going to have to do a lot better than Cs & Ds at A level, if you a want to get into banking.
Original post by MAINE.
lol, am I the only one awake here?

Guy is predicted Bs - Ds for his GCSE. Based off his academics thus far has no chance in hell of breaking into IB.

OP, you will need to do A levels, and you're going to have to do a lot better than Cs & Ds at A level, if you a want to get into banking.

Agree.

Let's go back a thousand steps first, why do you want to work in banking? Have you even done any research? What division?

You would need to retake your GCSEs as a starting point and even then, they usually only take your first attempt. You'd have to go through hell and back just to get into a boutique.

You could maybe recover your GCSEs if you did well at A Level by getting AAA+ in mostly traditional subjects (Maths, Science/Economics + a Humanity)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Study Business with a focus on finance at a uni with a good business faculty. Do summer jobs and placements at banks, make sure you get good letters of recommendation. Easy peasy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending