The Student Room Group

Advice needed for newbie on funding etc ££££££££

Daughter is starting Brighton Uni in sept on a 3 year nursing nhs funded course and I am wondering how the hell she will fare with the costs....this is what she has been told she will receive so far (parents are poor little paupers)

Bursaries:

Basic award ...................... £2591
Non means tested grant...... £1000
Extra weeks allowance..........£1804

Net payable award................£5395

Maintenance loan..................£2324

parent/student contribution £0

(she will have a £1500 overdraft facility from the bank)

she will get paid into her bank £7719 and her rent for where she intends to stay is £6350 ....that will leave her £1359 a year to feed herself etc etc ......

£27 a week???? surely there must be more help she could go for ?????? can she get a higher student loan?? are there other grants she can apply for??? she will be doing 1 day a week in the uni and 4 8 hour days at placement so I really cant see how she could possibly do a part time job.

Has anyone been there and done that????? all answers greatfully received.:s-smilie:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by oxford1111
Daughter is starting Brighton Uni in sept on a 3 year nursing nhs funded course and I am wondering how the hell she will fare with the costs....this is what she has been told she will receive so far (parents are poor little paupers)

Bursaries:

she will get paid into her bank £7719 and her rent for where she intends to stay is £6350 ....that will leave her £1359 a year to feed herself etc etc ......

£27 a week???? surely there must be more help she could go for ?????? can she get a higher student loan?? are there other grants she can apply for??? she will be doing 1 day a week in the uni and 4 8 hour days at placement so I really cant see how she could possibly do a part time job.

Has anyone been there and done that????? all answers greatfully received.:s-smilie:

There isn't any other help available unfortunately

Bursaries:

No way Jose. You can live on £27 a week. You could just about for food but what about nights out? Other stuff she needs to spend money on like haircuts and whatnot? What looks weird from the off is the fact that she'll be paying 6,300 for rent. That's causing problems.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Can she find a cheaper place to rent? Rent seems very high.
Reply 4
She and we would like her to be in the halls at least for the 1st year,unfortunately most are 39 weeks and she is doing a 50 week stint,there are only a few who do this,it works out at £135 a week which is all bills included which isn't as bad when you look at some others......if she could somehow end up with £50 a week to live on then maybe she could scrape it........£27???? she will really struggle I think.
Reply 5
She and we would like her to be in the halls at least for the 1st year,unfortunately most are 39 weeks and she is doing a 50 week stint,there are only a few who do this,it works out at £135 a week which is all bills included which isn't as bad when you look at some others......if she could somehow end up with £50 a week to live on then maybe she could scrape it........£27???? she will really struggle I think.

Unfortunately there will be others in the same boat. Some get finance that doesn't even cover the rent, let alone leave a surplus per week. Student Finance assumes that parents above a certain income threshold can afford to continue supporting their kids through uni - even when they can't for whatever reason.

£27 after rent and bills is doable. She'll just have to learn how to shop and budget carefully. Choosing accommodation that she can comfortably afford is a tip for next year. Once she can switch to private rented/shared, the rent should be more reasonable.

Can you not afford her an extra £23 a week? If not the student over draft should cover it, as she wants to live in halls only the first year that means she would only need the overdraft for the first year and so won't end up with crippling bank debt at the end.
Could she possibly live in the cheaper halls and then find alternative accommodation for the extra few weeks? By this time she will know the city well, have met people, etc...
I would look around for cheaper places to rent

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by iloveteddy14
I would look around for cheaper places to rent

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not sure cheap and rent go together in Brighton ......
I'm not sure cheap and rent go together in Brighton ......

Hear, hear! I'm not going to be in a shared house but I know rents for rooms are around £100 - £115pw although some early worms will be paying from around £90pw and it can go much higher. Most of these don't include bills which is another £50+ pm so it balances out with the £135pw in halls and doesn't come with the stresses of living with strangers, having them eat your food and having to depend on everyone making sure they leave enough money for bills and rent after their social fund has been spent.

Also with private renting you have to factor in agency fees (+£5 pw although paid up front) and bigger deposits and check out or inventory fees... it gets to the point where private renting is not necessarily much cheaper and you have to do all the leg work yourself, not just turn up and move in!

To the OP, even though bills are incl. in halls, TV licence must be budgeted in (£2.80pw). Every halls student needs their own and the TVL company are very hot on pursuing students. It used to be simple when you could opt to not have a tv in your room but now that pretty much every student has a laptop which can stream tv, there's no escaping having to have one.
Original post by MollyApple

To the OP, even though bills are incl. in halls, TV licence must be budgeted in (£2.80pw). Every halls student needs their own and the TVL company are very hot on pursuing students. It used to be simple when you could opt to not have a tv in your room but now that pretty much every student has a laptop which can stream tv, there's no escaping having to have one.

eh? Having a laptop doesn't mean you'll need a TV licence. Not all of us stream live TV.

Bursaries:

Manage your finances well and £27 is more than livable. Thats an excessive amount for rent, (but i dunno the cost of accomodation in brighton)
But my uni halls is only ~£4500
Original post by OU Student
eh? Having a laptop doesn't mean you'll need a TV licence. Not all of us stream live TV.

Its not whether you do or not, its having the capability to do it but its not as rigid as owning a TV and trying to prove its for gaming/dvds only. It is a tricky one though as currently you can watch catch-up TV such as iPlayer, YouTube etc. without a licence or the other get-out clause is not to be plugged into the mains, then it counts a mobile device under a home/parent licence. But if you have access to Sky Go, Virgin TV Anywhere etc from your home account or stream BBC/ITV/CBeebies (my students love CBeebs!) live then you have to have a licence. Ultimately its up to TVL to prove how you use it though and while most unis and SUs will take the official hardline of "its your responsibility & your penalty if you're caught" some unis won't allow TVL access to rooms etc to enforce it since they can be very harassing. My old one did, we all got the lovely threatening letter taped to the door but this was before live streaming and smart phones. Heck we were still dial-up!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending