The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Applying for halls last minute as a current student

I've just completed a foundation year at Manchester while living at home but have been considering living on campus at some point. Originally I was planning to do this for the 2015/16 year as money will be less of an issue then but have recently been thinking that it might be better to move this year.

However, after doing a bit of research, I've come across some problems:

1. I've left it very late and as such might have little or no choice in where I live.

2. After looking at all the different halls, I can't really find one that's a good match. I'll be based on the Sackville Street campus and so living on the city campus would be helpful but I'm put off by the amount of international students they're reputed to have. However, I'm also a mature student and not very outgoing so I'm worried that I wouldn't enjoy living in Fallowfield either.

It doesn't help that my options are limited in terms of price either.

Any Advice?
I'd suggest putting in an application and seeing what happens. You're not guaranteed a place, but in practice in previous years they have always had enough spaces for non-freshers (though that was before they knocked down Grosvenor - I don't know the extent to which that will change things). If you don't get somewhere you like / you change your mind, then you can always change your mind once you've seen your offer.

At this stage I think your chances of getting a self catered en suite are probably approaching nil, but beyond that there will still be options out there.

I take it you've read the accommodation FAQ? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2091577
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by Origami Bullets
I'd suggest putting in an application and seeing what happens. You're not guaranteed a place, but in practice in previous years they have always had enough spaces for non-freshers (though that was before they knocked down Grosvenor - I don't know the extent to which that will change things). If you don't get somewhere you like / you change your mind, then you can always change your mind once you've seen your offer.

At this stage I think your chances of getting a self catered en suite are probably approaching nil, but beyond that there will still be options out there.

I take it you've read the accommodation FAQ? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2091577

Ok, that seems like a good plan. Thanks. :smile:

I have read the FAQ, yeah. I'm still torn between Fallowfield and City though. Do you think it matters too much which halls I select as preferred in the application? I'd rather just know what they have available and make my decision from there.
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
Ok, that seems like a good plan. Thanks. :smile:

I have read the FAQ, yeah. I'm still torn between Fallowfield and City though. Do you think it matters too much which halls I select as preferred in the application? I'd rather just know what they have available and make my decision from there.

I'm afraid I don't know what's still available - I simply don't have that info available to me :no: The only place I'd bet money still has places is OP, but that's because it's traditionally the most undersubscribed hall.

Have you considered Victoria Park?
Original post by Origami Bullets
I'm afraid I don't know what's still available - I simply don't have that info available to me :no: The only place I'd bet money still has places is OP, but that's because it's traditionally the most undersubscribed hall.

Have you considered Victoria Park?

I know there's no way of knowing which halls still have places. I just meant that I don't really want to select something as preferred now, I'd rather just be told what's available first. Especially as I haven't even made my mind up as to which campus I want yet.

All the halls in Victoria Park are too expensive, I think. Otherwise I would definitely be considering it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending