The Student Room Group

English Language @ Uni of Manchester or English/Creative Writing @ Man Met?

Missed out on first choice University last year with grades BBC, however I managed to get into the University of Manchester studying English Language and Screen Studies.

And I HATED it. Loathed the course like nothing else, and managed to fail. Hurrah. However, I have been given the chance to resit it.

I am also hopeful of an offer through clearing to study English with Creative Writing at the lesser Uni in Manchester that is Man Met. I have the grades, though it seems likely I will be susceptible to the stigma and torment sometimes associated with a metropolitan, but I really couldn't care less personally as long as I knew I would be happy. It's more the thought of future employers mindsets that bothers me

So maybe not so much for advice, but your opinions. What do you think of the situation? Would you suck it up and do the course you know you would love at a lesser University, or equally suck it up and get on with a course you loathed vigorously, knowing the outcome will be a degree from a prestigious University?
(edited 9 years ago)
There is no point doing a course you loathe just because of its higher reputation. Dont listen to ppl who look down on mmu, if you enjoy the course go for it as uni is meant to be the best 3/4 years of your life. Also its easier to get a better class t lesser unis and at the end of the day thats what job places want. Gd luck
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply. Mmm, the thought of even one more lecture again is hell alone. Maybe that is the decision made itself! I'm not fussed what peers say of it, just if it was ever to become an issue from an employer perspective... but yeah you speak truly and I appreciate it :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Hi there, I was just wondering why you hated the course. I am currently trying to decide whether I just stick with my firm choice at Bath Spa for Film studies and Publishing, or to go into clearing for English Language with Screen Studies. It was the course I wanted to originally do, but I prefer Bath city to Manchester
Reply 4
Bump

I'm also thinking of English and Screen Studies, any particular reason why you hated the course?

Quick Reply

Latest