The Student Room Group

Clearing 2014 - How to make it work for you

So those Results weren't quite what you hoped for? Applying late?
Check out the FAQ below to get the lowdown on Clearing and how to survive it
:smile:

Clearing is always fast moving so you need to be ready to act quickly if you want to secure a good place, although it's also very important that you take the time to make sure you make the right decision. Dropping out after a few weeks when you have committed to a year's worth of accommodation costs could turn out to be very expensive!

Because of changes in the way that university places are funded in England, universities now have two separate pots of student places to balance and fill, which may result in more fluctuations in the system than would have been the case a couple of years ago. More detail about these changes can be found here. As a result of the changes, universities may take longer to make decisions about people who missed their offers, and Clearing vacancies may appear and disappear later in the days after 14th August than has been typical. If you have A levels at ABB or better then you may be in a particularly strong position when looking for a place in Clearing, but you should also bear in mind that people with these A level grades (or the recognised equivalents) will be at some advantage when re-applying for 2015, so there is no need to settle for something you are not entirely sure about.

How to stay sane in Clearing
TSR's Top 10 Tips for surviving Clearing

Order The Telegraph newspaper on Results Day

Do your research and be prepared

Find a quiet place to phone universities (with access to internet)

Have your details to hand

Make the call yourself

Make notes during the call

Have some constructive questions to ask them

Ask for email confirmation of any offers

Be persistent and flexible

Add a Clearing Choice within the allotted time

See the article for more details. You can also read about TSR users' experiences of Clearing from 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012. You might also find this advice from the front line helpful.

Clearing: how it works
Clearing is a way for universities and colleges to fill any remaining spaces for higher education courses starting in 2014, and so provides another opportunity for applicants without a confirmed place to find one. Your eligibility for Clearing will show up on your UCAS Track, where you will also find your Clearing Number - universities will require this in order to be able to view your UCAS application. Clearing starts in July and runs until 22 October (provided that you have made an application by 20 September 2013), but full vacancy lists are only really available on A-level Results Day, 14 August 2013. Scottish students received their results earlier, so Scottish universities advertised some vacancies from 5 August for anyone already holding their results.

The full lists of Clearing places, as declared by universities to UCAS on Monday 11 August, will be published in The Telegraph newspaper on Thursday 14 August. Lists will also be available online at UCAS - Clearing Vacancies from midnight (these lists are updated as information comes in from the unis). Universities usually publish their lists on their websites, sometimes in advance of Results Day. Don’t take any of these as confirmed vacancies until you have actually contacted a uni, as Clearing can move very fast indeed. A university's Clearing pages are likely to be more up-to-date than the UCAS pages, but even these can be out-of-date. It is only by speaking to the Clearing admissions staff at the university that you will be able to confirm whether or not vacancies exist.

While in Clearing, applicants contact universities directly to talk to them about the courses available and whether their application can be considered. You can contact as many universities as you like, and may receive verbal offers from several. If an offer is made, each university will provide you with a course code, institution code and a time period for which the offer is valid (typically 12-48 hours). When you have decided which offer you want to take up, you must enter the details on UCAS Track within the agreed time period using the 'Add a Clearing Choice' button. Remember that this button will only appear once Track becomes fully functional (around 5pm or later on Results Day). You can only enter one choice, and you must have discussed your application with the university first. If you enter a choice without having first spoken to the university you are likely to cause yourself significant delay and may even lose out on a course you were really interested in. Once you have entered a Clearing choice you won't be able to change it. You can only add in a different choice if your existing choice results in a rejection by the university - and they may not be very quick about posting this.

For more information see our Guide to Clearing. There are also UCAS pages about Clearing.

Surely it'll only be rubbish courses in Clearing?
Not so you’d be surprised what can come up, especially in Science subjects, and languages. The secret of success in Clearing is to be organised and to take a flexible approach. Many people with high grades find themselves in Clearing, and universities are especially interested in attracting those applicants, sometimes at the expense of people who missed their offers for competitive courses. The changes to the way that university places are funded, introduced two years ago, mean that universities are able to transfer places from one course to another, so it may choose to recruit more students in a popular subject it does well rather than continue to struggle to recruit people for a less popular course.

When do I get my Clearing Number, and why do I need it?
Your Clearing number will show up on your Track as soon as you are eligible. This will be as soon as you are in the position where you have an ‘active’ application but are holding no offers. People who applied after 30th June, or who applied before then but did not get any offers/declined those they had, will have Clearing Numbers already. People who missed their offers will get their Clearing Number once the final ‘unsuccessful’ decision reaches UCAS. You can approach universities informally without a Clearing Number, but they won't be able to confirm anything until you do have a number, since they will be unable to view your application. There is the risk that the vacancy that was available at 11am has gone by 2pm, so if you are thinking of ditching a confirmed place to try your luck in Clearing you'll need to make sure the Clearing uni will hold the place for you and that you know exactly how long you have to get your Clearing Number.

When do I enter a Clearing Choice on Track?
You will not be able to enter a Clearing choice until 5pm on Results Day, when full functionality on Track is restored, so don't worry. The unis will know this and won't be expecting miracles! If a uni has made you a Clearing offer at mid-day, you won't lose it because you haven't entered the choice on Track at 12.05 :smile:

You can only enter one choice at a time for a Clearing place, and it is important that you do not do this until a university confirms that you should do so, effectively making you an offer. If you didn't discuss your application with the university beforehand, the chances are you will get a rejection. If a decision is outstanding, you won't be able to enter a new choice, so if you have entered one 'by mistake' you will need to get the university to reject you ASAP. You can continue to add Clearing Choices, one at a time, until you are successful.

Can I talk to more than one university at a time?
Yes, and indeed you should. Keep notes of all your conversations with uni staff (when, who, what they said, what you said, who is going to do what next and by when). You can't make a clearing choice on Track until the evening of Results Day, so you have plenty of time to ring several different universities and you can be given multiple verbal offers, although you can ultimately only add one of them as your Clearing choice on Track.

Is it worth ‘cold-calling’?
Every year there are reports of people getting places through Clearing at universities that claim not to participate in it and don't appear in the list of vacancies. If you are really determined to give it a try and don’t mind a brisk and possibly not very polite response, no reason why you shouldn’t. Just don’t hold out too much hope, that’s all.

Will universities reduce their entry requirements in Clearing?
It's important to be realistic about entry requirements: universities may reduce them for Clearing applicants, but as often as not they won't. Offering BBB against a stated requirement of ABB is unlikely to succeed, even if you have something else to offer that is unusual. Universities will often give an indication of the entry requirements on their Clearing pages, but if not you can assume that the grade requirements are the same as stated in their online prospectus. If you don't meet the stated entry requirements you may have a better chance of success if there are still places to be filled after a few days.

What happens when a uni makes me a Clearing offer?
Usually the university admissions tutor will tell you over the phone if they would like you to enter them as a Clearing choice. They should confirm their offer by email, so if this isn't mentioned during your conversation ask them to do so. The uni will normally set a time-scale for you to have entered your Clearing choice on Track. It is essential that you meet any deadline you have been set if you want to take up the offer. Keep all emails and take screen shots if appropriate. Once you have entered your Clearing choice, the university will send through a decision and your place will be confirmed on Track, although not necessarily immediately! If no decision is showing within 24 hours (excluding weekends) contact the uni and ask what's happening. If the university appears to be messing you about, contact UCAS and ask for advice.

Can a University reject me after I've entered a Clearing Choice on Track?
They can, although if the uni confirmed their interest in offering you a place verbally or by email and you have met any deadlines they set they certainly shouldn't. Contact UCAS for advice in this situation.

Will I have time to visit the universities before making up my mind?
You should ask any universities who show an interest in your application what arrangements there are for Clearing applicants who want to visit before making up their minds. As time-scales have become increasingly tight over the years you may unfortunately not have the opportunity to visit before making your decision, though it's important to visit if you can so that you can get a good feel for the place - after all you may be spending the next 3 years there!

What if there’s nothing that appeals to me?
It is not the end of the world if you don't find something suitable; much better an unexpected gap year than making the wrong choice and dropping out by Christmas! When you don’t enter a Clearing choice on your Track, your application for this year will lapse, leaving you free to re-apply next year with a full range of unis to choose from. If there are still unis waiting to hear from you, it would be courteous (and a kindness to other applicants who may want the place you don’t) to let them know by email as soon as possible that you aren't taking up their offer/are no longer interested.

I accepted a Clearing offer but I’ve changed my mind
Strictly speaking, once your clearing choice has been accepted on Track your only option is to withdraw from UCAS altogether for this year. It would be courteous to let the university know that you have done so as soon as possible so they can give the place to someone else. Once you've accepted an offer through Clearing, you are not supposed to change your mind and apply elsewhere. However, it has been known for people to be able to persuade their Clearing choice to release them so that another Clearing choice can be entered on Track.

I applied for a place in Clearing but they turned me down: I'm sure it's because I have a disability as they asked me about it
Courtesy of wdywuk: "Every university has to ask the question and while we try to remember to ask it AFTER we have made an offer occasionally we get it wrong and ask it before we say yes or no. Applicants then wonder whether it was declaring a disability that caused them to be turned out. Rest assured that will NOT have been the reason for being turned down. It's just like you having the opportunity on your original UCAS form to declare a disability so that the relevant support could be put in place for the start of your studies. Advisors with access to web-link can see your original application form, but most of the staff on clearing won't be able to, so its important that they ask the question and start the ball rolling with organising the support. Again no matter what you say, it will not affect the decision!"
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Minerva
Will universities reduce their entry requirements in Clearing?
It's important to be realistic about entry requirements: universities may reduce them for Clearing applicants, but as often as not they won't. Offering BBB against a stated requirement of ABB is unlikely to succeed, even if you have something else to offer that is unusual. Universities will often give an indication of the entry requirements on their Clearing pages, but if not you can assume that the grade requirements are the same as stated in their online prospectus. If you don't meet the stated entry requirements you may have a better chance of success if there are still places to be filled after a few days.

I'm not sure if this thread was meant to be closed since there are no replies but here goes nothing.

I really wanted something which was available in clearing which required CCD. I got BDD instead (points wise equivalent). I phoned them up asap at 10am and the woman asked for my A levels and directly said that my grades don't meet the requirements (which I understand).

I tried again a few hours later and reached some one else, this time another woman said "you're grades are a bit different to what we require" and then went on to ask me about my GCSE's. After that she gave me the number for the admissions tutor who I eventually reached but they just immediately redirected me back to clearing. Eventually I was told the same thing in the end by another person on the clearing hotline.

I get that it is within their right to decline since my grades weren't as required. This was for Brunel so I didn't expect them to be strict. I was wondering since you said " If you don't meet the stated entry requirements you may have a better chance of success if there are still places to be filled after a few days." that would you think this could apply to me and is it even worth a shot for me calling them up again a few days later?

At no point however did they ask for my UCAS ID/Clearing number -> Is this also normal; does it have something to do with the rush/busy hotline on results day and is this likely to be different if I tried in a few days time.

Which leads to my last question. Can I even still apply for clearing after today?

Sorry for the long post
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by AR_95
I'm not sure if this thread was meant to be closed since there are no replies but here goes nothing.

I really wanted something which was available in clearing which required CCD. I got BDD instead (points wise equivalent). I phoned them up asap at 10am and the woman asked for my A levels and directly said that my grades don't meet the requirements (which I understand).

I tried again a few hours later and reached some one else, this time another woman said "you're grades are a bit different to what we require" and then went on to ask me about my GCSE's. After that she gave me the number for the admissions tutor who I eventually reached but they just immediately redirected me back to clearing. Eventually I was told the same thing in the end by another person on the clearing hotline.

I get that it is within their right to decline since my grades weren't as required. This was for Brunel so I didn't expect them to be strict. I was wondering since you said " If you don't meet the stated entry requirements you may have a better chance of success if there are still places to be filled after a few days." that would you think this could apply to me and is it even worth a shot for me calling them up again a few days later?

At no point however did they ask for my UCAS ID/Clearing number -> Is this also normal; does it have something to do with the rush/busy hotline on results day and is this likely to be different if I tried in a few days time.

Which leads to my last question. Can I even still apply for clearing after today?

Sorry for the long post
People have been starting their own threads rather than posting in this one - so thanks for starting the ball rolling!

If you are very keen on Brunel you could always try again in a few days if vacancies are still showing up, and you haven't found anything else, but I wouldn't count on success. Clearing will continue for weeks yet so you have by no means missed the boat - I'm sure there's something out there for you :smile:

PS - they probably didn't ask for your Clearing number because they decided against making you offer - but as and when somebody does, you'll need it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Minerva
People have been starting their own threads rather than posting in this one - so thanks for starting the ball rolling!

If you are very keen on Brunel you could always try again in a few days if vacancies are still showing up, and you haven't found anything else, but I wouldn't count on success. Clearing will continue for weeks yet so you have by no means missed the boat - I'm sure there's something out there for you :smile:

PS - they probably didn't ask for your Clearing number because they decided against making you offer - but as and when somebody does, you'll need it.

I didn't really like what else was on offer. I had the grades but didn't fancy them. Brunel was one of my 5 choices in the past so I was hopeful they'd accept me now but apparently not. Since it's the only uni that stuck out, it's the difference between me starting this September or taking a gap year to retake, which I don't want to but ultimately have to do.

I probably will try again in a few days but I have no idea what to say. When I called yesterday usually I'd just start with saying " Hi I was wondering if you had any vacancies for course x", they'd then ask me my grades, put me on hold and then tell me " Unfortunately you don't meet the requirements". and the 30 second conversation is over.

What should I try saying next time? Should I sound more enthusiastic like "There appears to be a course I'm very interested in however unfortunately I'm 1 grade below the requirements, is there any chance the university would still give me an offer"?

Or is this all a waste of time and they're unlikely to change at all as they've written down a policy to take no one with a grade below the requirement?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by AR_95
I didn't really like what else was on offer. I had the grades but didn't fancy them. Brunel was one of my 5 choices in the past so I was hopeful they'd accept me now but apparently not. Since it's the only uni that stuck out, it's the difference between me starting this September or taking a gap year to retake, which I don't want to but ultimately have to do.

I probably will try again in a few days but I have no idea what to say. When I called yesterday usually I'd just start with saying " Hi I was wondering if you had any vacancies for course x", they'd then ask me my grades, put me on hold and then tell me " Unfortunately you don't meet the requirements". and the 30 second conversation is over.

What should I try saying next time? Should I sound more enthusiastic like "There appears to be a course I'm very interested in however unfortunately I'm 1 grade below the requirements, is there any chance the university would still give me an offer"?

Or is this all a waste of time and they're unlikely to change at all as they've written down a policy to take no one with a grade below the requirement?
Be positive - always be positive: "have you vacancies for course/s in x, really interested in it because....". Let them ask you for your grades. There is usually some flexibility if they like the rest of your application, so try and get to the admissions tutors rather than the people answering the phones, who have a fixed script. This will get easier to do as the days pass.
Reply 5
Original post by Minerva
Be positive - always be positive: "have you vacancies for course/s in x, really interested in it because....". Let them ask you for your grades. There is usually some flexibility if they like the rest of your application, so try and get to the admissions tutors rather than the people answering the phones, who have a fixed script. This will get easier to do as the days pass.

Yes, like in total I tried 3 different people on the clearing line ( who definitely had a script) but one of them gave me the number to the admissions tutor/office, but they were in a rush to redirect me back to clearing so I didn't really manage to talk to them at all.
I am hoping that because the rush will settle down slightly that maybe I can talk to the admissions office and maybe they can consider me. Since they've given me an offer before, if they see that I've received one in the past ( even though I didn't accept it) do you think it will influence anything?

I'm not entirely sure when I should phone, since I'd also want to make sure the vacancies don't get taken up. If they did, will it be removed from the UCAS list? (because it hasn't yet). How long do you advise I should wait?
Reply 6
Original post by AR_95
Yes, like in total I tried 3 different people on the clearing line ( who definitely had a script) but one of them gave me the number to the admissions tutor/office, but they were in a rush to redirect me back to clearing so I didn't really manage to talk to them at all.
I am hoping that because the rush will settle down slightly that maybe I can talk to the admissions office and maybe they can consider me. Since they've given me an offer before, if they see that I've received one in the past ( even though I didn't accept it) do you think it will influence anything?

I'm not entirely sure when I should phone, since I'd also want to make sure the vacancies don't get taken up. If they did, will it be removed from the UCAS list? (because it hasn't yet). How long do you advise I should wait?
Why not try now, or early this afternoon? Things will be calming down a bit from now on.
Reply 7
Original post by Minerva
Why not try now, or early this afternoon? Things will be calming down a bit from now on.

I can do. I'm a bit nervous though don't want to go through rejection yet again after yesterday lol. If I end up reaching some one on the clearing hotline, what do you think I should say to persuade them to connect me through to the admissions office/tutor?
Reply 8
Original post by AR_95
I can do. I'm a bit nervous though don't want to go through rejection yet again after yesterday lol. If I end up reaching some one on the clearing hotline, what do you think I should say to persuade them to connect me through to the admissions office/tutor?
Why not start with some unis that are asking for the grades you have - this will help to build your confidence to tackle more challenging propositions?
Reply 9
Original post by Minerva
Why not start with some unis that are asking for the grades you have - this will help to build your confidence to tackle more challenging propositions?

There were none that I liked at all and if I were to go there I'd probably not enjoy the 4 years I'd be there. I'd rather re-take and reapply for a russel group tbh ( I was only 2 grades away so resit is definitely possible) but Brunel would be a place I'd actually enjoy and wouldn't have to waste a year
Reply 10
Original post by AR_95
There were none that I liked at all and if I were to go there I'd probably not enjoy the 4 years I'd be there. I'd rather re-take and reapply for a russel group tbh ( I was only 2 grades away so resit is definitely possible) but Brunel would be a place I'd actually enjoy and wouldn't have to waste a year
Your call - but even if you don't think you'll want it, getting an offer from somewhere could be a big confidence booster.
You could try calling and saying you would like to speak to someone about the content of the course, but if they are really busy they will still want to find out the viability of offering you a place before they put you through, so you might not get any further than before.

It's important to remember that they aren't doing this to be mean, they will have a reasoning behind not being able to offer you a place, and it may work out for the best.
What sort of courses are you looking at? Don't limit yourself to one University as it won't be the only one that may be right for you.
Reply 13
Original post by scrosley
What sort of courses are you looking at? Don't limit yourself to one University as it won't be the only one that may be right for you.

Engineering with a foundation year
I need help, I've applied through clearing and got 2 verbal offers, If one of them doesn't accept me on the course can I add the other one to my clearing choice if the deadline hasn't reached
(edited 9 years ago)
I am in the same position is AR_95 how long will it be until the university decides to allow a grade lower? and will there even be places available by that time?
Not all universities will lower their entry requirements during clearing. If you weren't eligible on day 1, you may never be eligible.
Reply 17
why don't you try applying for York st john university through clearing, they have some really good courses still on offer. just ring 01904 624624. ull need a minimum of 200 ucas points which you already have.
Reply 18
Hi, I hope someone could give me some advice on this....
I'm applying to study International Business and I've called up a lot of places today through clearing, however, I'm not sure which Uni to accept.

DMU
Birmingham City (Business and Economics)
Hertfordshire
Essex
The University of the West of Bristol
PLEASe someone help me. the lady i spoke to yesterday for brunel (she was admissions for mecheng) said that they would accept me she took my ucas id and my a-level results and briefly gcse's as well as give me a brunel student number and said i will get an email. but do i still do the application on there website. this is urgent please any help is appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending