The Student Room Group

Adjustment 2014 - FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Original post by c-anne-
i know right, ucas are blaming the university, yet the university are blaming ucas. I feel like i can't relax until it's sorted. I've been waiting since results day and each time i've rang, they've said to wait until the next morning, so i honestly don't think it'll be sorted in two days. :mad:

so frustrating!!!!!!!!!!
Original post by lucycoopz
It does take ages but it will come through! I really thought my verbal offer would be taken away but the calls are recorded and they can't do that. It took from results day until this morning for me. Don't give up on ringing them, there are 60 people working the phones and you might get a more helpful person when you try again

Okay, thank you! That gives me some hope! :smile: The most annoying thing is that I need to apply for accommodation, but I don't think it's possible until my offer is on Track.
Original post by lucycoopz
It does take ages but it will come through! I really thought my verbal offer would be taken away but the calls are recorded and they can't do that. It took from results day until this morning for me. Don't give up on ringing them, there are 60 people working the phones and you might get a more helpful person when you try again

So what exactly did you manage to do today?
Like, what did you say/demand and what did they do?
I'm exactly the same! My mind cannot rest until my accommodation is sorted! As if the stress of results day wasn't enough!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sapphirex
I'm exactly the same! My mind cannot rest until my accommodation is sorted! As if the stress of results day wasn't enough!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's ridiculous I can't relax

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 105
Should I adjust to Herts from Southampton?
Reply 106
Original post by marsss
Should I adjust to Herts from Southampton?

For what course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone help me...I completed my A levels in 2013 and went on to study a Foundation Diploma in Art and Design rather than attending university. At the time I thought I wanted to progress to study an art based Uni course so this seemed like the best option to allow me to build my skills. I applied for 5 art courses this year which all varied greatly including Costume Design, Fine Art and Textile Design. I didn’t particularly like any of the courses but the head tutor of my foundation course told us all we must apply for an art based uni course to pass one of the units on my Foundation Diploma which involved creating a progression file. I wrongly accepted an unconditional offer for a Textile Design course. I am currently due to start this course in September but really don’t want to do this course at all. I was hoping I’d be able to change my course through adjustment following A Level results day, but as I had an unconditional offer I’m not sure this is possible. I would really like to change to a different course and different university; I have over 800 UCAS points, far more than the course I wish to do requires. I really want to attend university this year instead of having to reapply to start next September. Does anyone know if there is any possibility for me to change course ready for this September? Will UCAS make exceptions to the adjustment process? Are there any other ways to change course besides adjustment?
Reply 108
Original post by Minerva
For what course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Adult nursing
Reply 109
Original post by marsss
Adult nursing
Depends on what kind of hospitals you want to do your clinical placements in, I'd have said. I'd stick with Southampton, myself, as there is a strong healthcare faculty there and a medical school as well.
Reply 110
Once you've got an unconditional offer for your firm, can you call up the uni and ask to release you??? Would I automatically go through clearing??
Original post by marsss
Once you've got an unconditional offer for your firm, can you call up the uni and ask to release you??? Would I automatically go through clearing??

Check with UCAS because they need to put you into clearing I think, just check x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 112
Original post by marsss
Yes, if your uni releases you it would be into Clearing. Be very sure that that is what you want, bearing in mind that the number of places available is reducing every day.
My experience through adjustment for Durham:

Friday: Day after results day, already held an offer for biomedical sciences at Newcastle but decided to try go for Durham for MPharm, because why the hell not. Ring them up on their adjustment/clearing hotline and was told by the advisor to send an email to the pharmacy department. Composed the email making sure all essential details were included (Name, UCAS ID, programme code, etc), along with two paragraphs as to why I wanted to shift to pharmacy and a little about myself. Also included a transcript of my results just in case. Honestly did not think twice about it since I convinced myself I wouldn't get the offer, 30 minutes later get an email saying they have received it and it was forwarded to the pharmacy department. 1 hour later I get a email saying I've been given a recommendation for an offer, completely gob smacked and thrown off guard. After composing myself and having my parents congratulate me I realise that I was given the clearing instructions, ring them up and the helpful advisor sorted everything out instantly. I was told my UCAS will update after 5pm, although she did say if it doesn't then I should send them an email and call them back on Monday to get everything sorted out. UCAS track did not update on Friday night.

Saturday: Wake up and still nothing, slightly worried although at this point I already had a written and verbal offer. Send them an email explaining the situation whilst still making sure all the details needed are included to make the process smoother; I'm not sure how admissions teams work but I'd like to think having all the necessary information will get your application through a lot faster - time is essential during this period!

Sunday: Slightly tense and still worried, only natural since nothing is changing and I only have two more days of adjustment!

Monday: Overslept and forgot to ring them at half 9, the admissions team however sent me two emails confirming my place and further instructions around 10ish. At this point I was really grateful since I thought they wouldn't make the effort to get me on track with my offer, was really surprised! After a chain of emails I was told to produce certifications for my results (didn't do standard A-Levels), my college doesn't send them out until the start of September for some odd reason. Explained this to the senior admissions manager and she reassured me my place is still on hold and offered me advice to ring my college for them to forward confirmation. Rang my college and they promptly forwarded all the necessary details. A few hours later still no change on UCAS track, not as worried as before but still wanted to make sure everything was 100% ok, rang them up and they said everything was going ahead and it could take some time. I rang UCAS adjustment department afterwards and they confirmed that Durham had forwarded everything and was waiting on my AS12 reply to give the go ahead. An hour later I get an email from the AS12 address stating to reply to it, essentially giving my permission to decline my unconditional offer with Newcastle and accept Durham. I finish up the final part of the series of email chains by replying and getting an automated response saying it has went through. Another hour later UCAS track has updated congratulating me on my offer through adjustment. At this point I make myself a cuppa and watch some Simpsons to reward myself.

Sorry for the whole life story post, thought it'd be useful for people going through the process now or in the future. I may have gotten very lucky with the whole process, although Durham's pharmacy course is still relatively new and so it may of not had too many applicants. I can't stress enough how important it is to make sure your emails have all the necessary details included and you're straight to the point, if things aren't still going your way make sure to phone up and keep at it! The whole adjustment process with Durham has been for me on the most part a painless experience, if anything they were more on top of things than I was admittedly. I was really discouraged to even try since I read former experiences about adjustment/clearing on the forums and in a thread I made earlier in the year, however this was a pleasant surprise and I encourage people to give their luck a shot and see what places they can land.

Best of luck everyone and I hope your experience is smooth and painless as mine was and if not keep pestering them! :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by KawaKawa

Friday: Day after results day, already held an offer for biomedical sciences at Newcastle but decided to try go for Durham for MPharm, because why the hell not. Ring them up on their adjustment/clearing hotline and was told by the advisor to send an email to the pharmacy department. Composed the email making sure all essential details were included (Name, UCAS ID, programme code, etc), along with two paragraphs as to why I wanted to shift to pharmacy and a little about myself. Also included a transcript of my results just in case. Honestly did not think twice about it since I convinced myself I wouldn't get the offer, 30 minutes later get an email saying they have received it and it was forwarded to the pharmacy department. 1 hour later I get a email saying I've been given a recommendation for an offer, completely gob smacked and thrown off guard. After composing myself and having my parents congratulate me I realise that I was given the clearing instructions, ring them up and the helpful advisor sorted everything out instantly. I was told my UCAS will update after 5pm, although she did say if it doesn't then I should send them an email and call them back on Monday to get everything sorted out. UCAS track did not update on Friday night.

Saturday: Wake up and still nothing, slightly worried although at this point I already had a written and verbal offer. Send them an email explaining the situation whilst still making sure all the details needed are included to make the process smoother; I'm not sure how admissions teams work but I'd like to think having all the necessary information will get your application through a lot faster - time is essential during this period!

Sunday: Slightly tense and still worried, only natural since nothing is changing and I only have two more days of adjustment!

Monday: Overslept and forgot to ring them at half 9, the admissions team however sent me two emails confirming my place and further instructions around 10ish. At this point I was really grateful since I thought they wouldn't make the effort to get me on track with my offer, was really surprised! After a chain of emails I was told to produce certifications for my results (didn't do standard A-Levels), my college doesn't send them out until the start of September for some odd reason. Explained this to the senior admissions manager and she reassured me my place is still on hold and offered me advice to ring my college for them to forward confirmation. Rang my college and they promptly forwarded all the necessary details. A few hours later still no change on UCAS track, not as worried as before but still wanted to make sure everything was 100% ok, rang them up and they said everything was going ahead and it could take some time. I rang UCAS adjustment department afterwards and they confirmed that Durham had forwarded everything and was waiting on my AS12 reply to give the go ahead. An hour later I get an email from the AS12 address stating to reply to it, essentially giving my permission to decline my unconditional offer with Newcastle and accept Durham. I finish up the final part of the series of email chains by replying and getting an automated response saying it has went through. Another hour later UCAS track has updated congratulating me on my offer through adjustment. At this point I make myself a cuppa and watch some Simpsons to reward myself.

Sorry for the whole life story post, thought it'd be useful for people going through the process now or in the future. I may have gotten very lucky with the whole process, although Durham's pharmacy course is still relatively new and so it may of not had too many applicants. I can't stress enough how important it is to make sure your emails have all the necessary details included and you're straight to the point, if things aren't still going your way make sure to phone up and keep at it! The whole adjustment process with Durham has been for me on the most part a painless experience, if anything they were more on top of things than I was admittedly. I was really discouraged to even try since I read former experiences about adjustment/clearing on the forums and in a thread I made earlier in the year, however this was a pleasant surprise and I encourage people to give their luck a shot and see what places they can land.

Best of luck everyone and I hope your experience is smooth and painless as mine was and if not keep pestering them! :tongue:

I agree. Durham were very efficient at processing my application. I spoke to the pharmacy admissions people on the phone and they were very enthusiastic and true to their word.
Original post by simon_m_t
I agree. Durham were very efficient at processing my application. I spoke to the pharmacy admissions people on the phone and they were very enthusiastic and true to their word.

Glad to know you had a good experience as well. I'm guessing you're also doing pharmacy? See you in October if that's the case. :biggrin:
Original post by KawaKawa

Congratulations! I'm glad you did so well!!! :smile:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I went through Adjustment, and my UCAS account only updated a couple of days ago. However, I have received a letter from UCAS confirming my place at the original university... Do I need to inform the original university that I won't be attending, or do they automatically know that I've accepted an offer through Adjustment? Because it could just be that the letter was sent before UCAS updated or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got offered a place through adjustment yesterday, but that meant that I couldn't apply for accommodation before the deadline... I still applied but I don't really know what to do...
Original post by c-anne-
I went through Adjustment, and my UCAS account only updated a couple of days ago. However, I have received a letter from UCAS confirming my place at the original university... Do I need to inform the original university that I won't be attending, or do they automatically know that I've accepted an offer through Adjustment? Because it could just be that the letter was sent before UCAS updated or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You had to inform your original university as they have to release you I think! Check with UCAS x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending