The Student Room Group

Confusion with clearing

Good morning. To apply for clearing do I have to be released by my current University in order to accept an offer from a different University? Can I hold my place at my current University until I get an offer through clearing just to be on the safe side?

Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You have to be released I'm afraid.
Reply 2
Original post by Mistiene
You have to be released I'm afraid.

I am able to still apply through clearing, even if I'm currently enrolled at another University?
Reply 3
No, sorry.
Reply 4
Original post by Mistiene
No, sorry.

Are you trolling or are you being serious? I'm finding it difficult to come to a conclusion.
Reply 5
Original post by ThePoet
Are you trolling or are you being serious? I'm finding it difficult to come to a conclusion.

Im being polite. If you don't like my answers, feel free to ask other users on here or ring UCAS.
Original post by ThePoet
Good morning. To apply for clearing do I have to be released by my current University in order to accept an offer from a different University? Can I hold my place at my current University until I get an offer through clearing just to be on the safe side?

Thank you.

You need to be released to get a clearing number of you want to get an offer from other people.

It's risky though so be careful before you give up a place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Motorbiker
You need to be released to get a clearing number of you want to get an offer from other people.

It's risky though so be careful before you give up a place.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do I simply email my University in order to be released? Can Universities view my UCAS application and give me a non-formal offer which requires me to be released by my University? I'm confused on how to go about it.
Original post by ThePoet
Do I simply email my University in order to be released? Can Universities view my UCAS application and give me a non-formal offer which requires me to be released by my University? I'm confused on how to go about it.

No, you'd call up your current uni to release you.

Universities can't see your application unless you're in clearing with a clearing number, which you get after being released by your uni.

You can in theory ask other unis speculatively before releasing yourself but they may be unwilling to offer you anything without a clearing number.

Also, i'd get any offer in writing from them.
Reply 9

Universities can't see your application unless you're in clearing with a clearing number, which you get after being released by your uni.

You can in theory ask other unis speculatively before releasing yourself but they may be unwilling to offer you anything without a clearing number.

Is clearing a first-come, first-serve process? I'm apprehensive about the length that it'll take for me to be released by my University. Will they release me immediately?
Original post by ThePoet
Is clearing a first-come, first-serve process?

I'm apprehensive about the length that it'll take for me to be released by my University.

Will they release me immediately?

Yes, clearing is first come first served.

It can take a while but that's the risk you take.

No, they're probably in no rush tbh. They have much greater priorities atm.

What's wrong with your main offer that you spent months choosing? why do you want to be in clearing?
Reply 11
Yes, clearing is first come first served.

It can take a while but that's the risk you take.

No, they're probably in no rush tbh. They have much greater priorities atm.

What's wrong with your main offer that you spent months choosing? why do you want to be in clearing?

I think you've misunderstood me, I'm already a University student, however I wish to change courses.
Original post by ThePoet
I think you've misunderstood me, I'm already a University student, however I wish to change courses.

Well, That changes things.

You just finishing your first year then?

Do you want to change course within the uni or go to a different uni?
Reply 13
Well, That changes things.

You just finishing your first year then?

Do you want to change course within the uni or go to a different uni?

Yes I've just finished my first year. I wish to change to a different Uni. Btw, thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions, I really appreciate it.
Original post by ThePoet
I am able to still apply through clearing, even if I'm currently enrolled at another University?

As you're currently enrolled at another uni, you don't need to be released / drop out before you talk to other universities.

Give them a ring - they might accept you via an RPA, or they might ask you to put in an application via UCAS Clearing, but you do need to start by ringing the relevant uni(s).
Reply 15

Is this the same case if you're rejected by your Firm but you made your Insurance? Do you then have to be released from your insurance?
Reply 16
Original post by Origami Bullets
As you're currently enrolled at another uni, you don't need to be released / drop out before you talk to other universities.

Give them a ring - they might accept you via an RPA, or they might ask you to put in an application via UCAS Clearing, but you do need to start by ringing the relevant uni(s).

If I set up a UCAS application now, will I be able to use the Personal Statement that I used last year, adjusting a few things to make it more appropriate?
Original post by Sadian
Is this the same case if you're rejected by your Firm but you made your Insurance? Do you then have to be released from your insurance?

Yes, if you're in your insurance then you'd need to call up to be released to go into clearing.
Reply 18
Yes, if you're in your insurance then you'd need to call up to be released to go into clearing.

I'm currently on holiday and I can't remember what governing bodies/grades I got for certain subjects at GCSE level, what would you advise me to do?
Original post by ThePoet
If I set up a UCAS application now, will I be able to use the Personal Statement that I used last year, adjusting a few things to make it more appropriate?

Yes, but speak to the uni(s) first - they may not require you to submit a UCAS application if they go down the RPA route, and in that case they would not require a PS.

Original post by ThePoet
I'm currently on holiday and I can't remember what governing bodies/grades I got for certain subjects at GCSE level, what would you advise me to do?

Is there someone at your family home who could dig out your certificates for you? It could be a sticking point, but you're just going to have to ring the unis and ask them.

Quick Reply