The Student Room Group

Oxford 2014 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cheshiremum
It might be difficult to get an overdraft but you should be able to get an account (apologies if you already have an account and just want one with an overdraft, haven't gone back through the thread to check). Try looking at moneysavingexpert.com for 'basic bank accounts' (these don't have overdrafts). They also have advice on how to improve your credit score.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/basic-bank-accounts

I ALREADY HAVE A BASIC ACCOUNT. LOL REJECTED FROM ALL THOSE TOO- I TRIED THEM WEEKS AGO :lol:
Original post by Arcane1729
I ALREADY HAVE A BASIC ACCOUNT. LOL REJECTED FROM ALL THOSE TOO- I TRIED THEM WEEKS AGO :lol:

Chill. There's no need for caps :smile:
Original post by colourtheory
Yes, especially Jamoemills! Although I don't really like Simonoxfphys - there's something about the way he comes across...

Original post by Lucilou101
Lloyds, Natwest and RBS should be easier to get because they have a tiered overdraft. Instead of the others where you just get £1500 odd straight away!

Or Barclays because their overdraft is as low as £200 and they accepted me for my credit card with bad history :smile:

This is somewhat unrelated, but I wanted to say keep up the vlogging! You're charismatic in front of the camera and I'm sure lots of people are finding your insights helpful :smile:
Original post by Ja-m-ie
This is somewhat unrelated, but I wanted to say keep up the vlogging! You're charismatic in front of the camera and I'm sure lots of people are finding your insights helpful :smile:

Thank you :biggrin: that means a lot coming from you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucilou101
Thank you :biggrin: that means a lot coming from you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're very welcome, perseverance is the key! I would advise that you continue to create content, as this will help you find your niche. Then create a trailer for your channel so people can immediately decide whether or not the content is relevant for them.
Random post but good luck Oxford people: work hard, play hard ! :biggrin:
Original post by Ja-m-ie

It's exceedingly well deserved :biggrin: I've found your CV and Internship videos to be a gold mine of information, they'll come in so useful over the next couple of years. I have to say that when I was thinking of applying to Oxford I was so glad to have found your videos as they demystified the whole process and gave me the nudge that I needed to actually go through with the application! Thank you! :colondollar:
Original post by colourtheory
It's exceedingly well deserved :biggrin: I've found your CV and Internship videos to be a gold mine of information, they'll come in so useful over the next couple of years. I have to say that when I was thinking of applying to Oxford I was so glad to have found your videos as they demystified the whole process and gave me the nudge that I needed to actually go through with the application! Thank you! :colondollar:

That's amazing! It's always really satisfying to hear that something you've made is helping someone. It makes it all worth it, otherwise I'm just a dude talking to a camera :smile:

If you have any other video requests, I'd really appreciate you sharing them. I say this often, but there is no point making something no one wants!
Original post by Ja-m-ie
That's amazing! It's always really satisfying to hear that something you've made is helping someone. It makes it all worth it, otherwise I'm just a dude talking to a camera :smile:

If you have any other video requests, I'd really appreciate you sharing them. I say this often, but there is no point making something no one wants!

I can't think of anything off the top of my head but I'll definitely have a think over the next few days and if anything comes to mind I'll let you know :smile:
Original post by Noble.
Chill. There's no need for caps :smile:

:lol: I saw it was caps lock. But I thought the text would automatically change to lower case as usually does... not sure why not now:confused:
We have a silent disco celebrity bop at my college during Freshers and I'm lost as ideas! Do you think that movie characters etc. count or just purely celebrity figures?
Original post by JLKeating
We have a silent disco celebrity bop at my college during Freshers and I'm lost as ideas! Do you think that movie characters etc. count or just purely celebrity figures?

Bops are really relaxed, so don't worry about it :biggrin:
Original post by Arcane1729
:lol: I saw it was caps lock. But I thought the text would automatically change to lower case as usually does... not sure why not now:confused:

No worries. Sorry you are finding it so hard to get an account with an overdraft. I do recommend you take a look at the advice on moneysavingexpert about improving your credit score though, if you haven't already - it might help to rebuild your ability to get a student account with some perks, for year 2 or 3. And I really would speak to your college if it's getting tough - I know what it's like to have nothing while you wait to get your student grant. Good luck.
We're any of the TSR OxVlog applicants successful?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AKell17
We're any of the TSR OxVlog applicants successful?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wasn't successful, which is a shame but I applied last minute and was pretty indecisive! Looking forward to seeing who got through. I am however considering doing a 365 project (which I did two or three years ago) which involves taking a photo a day and putting it online, maybe in the form of a blog. We shall see

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I wasn't successful, which is a shame but I applied last minute and was pretty indecisive! Looking forward to seeing who got through. I am however considering doing a 365 project (which I did two or three years ago) which involves taking a photo a day and putting it online, maybe in the form of a blog. We shall see

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go for it! Customary Bridge of Sighs picture of one day I don't doubt....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AKell17
Go for it! Customary Bridge of Sighs picture of one day I don't doubt....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I'll stick some advertisement in for Hertford :wink: need a blog/journal title! 'A Fresher at Oxford' seems boring, I liked 'Jess at Jesus' :tongue:
Yes I'll stick some advertisement in for Hertford :wink: need a blog/journal title! 'A Fresher at Oxford' seems boring, I liked 'Jess at Jesus' :tongue:

Love that title! Great idea too, I'm sure all the future applicants will love seeing that sort of thing :smile:

Does going to your college mean you're finding Jesus after a night out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest