Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

X against Y or Y against X?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    when plotting a graph of voltage against current with current along the X axis and Voltage on the Y which way round do you phrase it; - voltage against current or current against voltage, i know it matters just cant remeber which way it is supposed to go?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Current goes on the X axis (horizontal)

Voltage goes on the Y axis (vertical)

as: gradient of graph = voltage/current = resistance

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    do you mean what's the terminology? it's always Y against X, because Y is the dependent variable.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i know that Y is vertical and is voltage as i know current is X and horizontal i meant how is it phrased, as in do i write i will plot the graph of :
    a) voltage against current (thus y against x)
    or
    b) current against voltage (thus x against y)
    im varying the current hence its on the y axis i just cant remember how to put it in words it is supposed to go in a specific order determined by which is on each axis.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthie)
    i know that Y is vertical and is voltage as i know current is X and horizontal i meant how is it phrased, as in do i write i will plot the graph of :
    a) voltage against current (thus y against x)
    or
    b) current against voltage (thus x against y)
    im varying the current hence its on the y axis i just cant remember how to put it in words it is supposed to go in a specific order determined by which is on each axis.
    You've contradicted yourself, cos first you said you were plotting the voltage on the y-axis, then you said you're plotting current on the y-axis. Whichever it is, it's y against x, as elpaw said.
Updated: April 20, 2004
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.