Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

X against Y or Y against X?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    when plotting a graph of voltage against current with current along the X axis and Voltage on the Y which way round do you phrase it; - voltage against current or current against voltage, i know it matters just cant remeber which way it is supposed to go?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Current goes on the X axis (horizontal)

Voltage goes on the Y axis (vertical)

as: gradient of graph = voltage/current = resistance

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    do you mean what's the terminology? it's always Y against X, because Y is the dependent variable.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i know that Y is vertical and is voltage as i know current is X and horizontal i meant how is it phrased, as in do i write i will plot the graph of :
    a) voltage against current (thus y against x)
    or
    b) current against voltage (thus x against y)
    im varying the current hence its on the y axis i just cant remember how to put it in words it is supposed to go in a specific order determined by which is on each axis.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthie)
    i know that Y is vertical and is voltage as i know current is X and horizontal i meant how is it phrased, as in do i write i will plot the graph of :
    a) voltage against current (thus y against x)
    or
    b) current against voltage (thus x against y)
    im varying the current hence its on the y axis i just cant remember how to put it in words it is supposed to go in a specific order determined by which is on each axis.
    You've contradicted yourself, cos first you said you were plotting the voltage on the y-axis, then you said you're plotting current on the y-axis. Whichever it is, it's y against x, as elpaw said.
Updated: April 20, 2004
New on TSR

Ways to improve university

Should university be free and harder to get in to?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.