Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
x

Unlock these great extras with your FREE membership

• One-on-one advice about results day and Clearing
  • Free access to our personal statement wizard
  • Customise TSR to suit how you want to use it

X against Y or Y against X?

Announcements Posted on
Had your SQA results? Find your uni forum to get talking to other applicants, existing students and your future course-mates 04-08-2015
Competition: win a karting session for you and seven mates! 24-07-2015
  1. Offline

ReputationRep:
    when plotting a graph of voltage against current with current along the X axis and Voltage on the Y which way round do you phrase it; - voltage against current or current against voltage, i know it matters just cant remeber which way it is supposed to go?
  2. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Current goes on the X axis (horizontal)

Voltage goes on the Y axis (vertical)

as: gradient of graph = voltage/current = resistance

3. Offline

ReputationRep:
    do you mean what's the terminology? it's always Y against X, because Y is the dependent variable.
  4. Offline

ReputationRep:
    i know that Y is vertical and is voltage as i know current is X and horizontal i meant how is it phrased, as in do i write i will plot the graph of :
    a) voltage against current (thus y against x)
    or
    b) current against voltage (thus x against y)
    im varying the current hence its on the y axis i just cant remember how to put it in words it is supposed to go in a specific order determined by which is on each axis.
  5. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthie)
    i know that Y is vertical and is voltage as i know current is X and horizontal i meant how is it phrased, as in do i write i will plot the graph of :
    a) voltage against current (thus y against x)
    or
    b) current against voltage (thus x against y)
    im varying the current hence its on the y axis i just cant remember how to put it in words it is supposed to go in a specific order determined by which is on each axis.
    You've contradicted yourself, cos first you said you were plotting the voltage on the y-axis, then you said you're plotting current on the y-axis. Whichever it is, it's y against x, as elpaw said.
Updated: April 20, 2004
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
SQA students: did you get the results you wanted today?
Results and Clearing

SQA results chat

Come talk about your results here

new on tsr

Indian? Join the society here

Take part in the chat and make friends

x

Think you'll be in clearing or adjustment?

Hear direct from unis that want to talk to you

Get email alerts for university course places that match your subjects and grades. Just let us know what you're studying.

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.