The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I got BCCD when both my firm and insurance wanted BBB.
The D was 1 mark off a C which I was gutted about and one of my C's was a few UMS off a B because my classes coursework marks were all took down by 10ums!
My firm ended up rejecting me but my insurance accepted me anyway and I'm pretty sure I'll be happier there :tongue:
Reply 61
Needed 260, got I think 240. Mystified as to how I got in - must be an unpopular course as you say.
Original post by Workaholic99
Which uni is this?

Aston, for Mech engineering I think. It was definitely one the engineering disciplines.
Reply 63
I needed AAB to get into Birmingham my firm, and I got ABB and I was still accepted. I was a bit gutted I didn't get another A, but it could have been a lot worse :smile: .
Reply 64
I missed my offer by 80 UCAS points. Clueless as to why I was accepted! Definitely proof that it doesnt all come down to your grades :smile:
Take away my special consideration, I only missed out by 20 points (successful remark means I'll be bang in the points), but then again I was told by the uni that I was going to be rejected anyway (as well as another other uni for that matter)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sam_town1
Take away my special consideration, I only missed out by 20 points (successful remark means I'll be bang in the points), but then again I was told by the uni that I was going to be rejected anyway (as well as another other uni for that matter)

Posted from TSR Mobile

On*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
Based on this thread it seems like we should all apply to courses with requirements 40-60 UCAS above what we actually believe we'll achieve from our top three? It's a bit annoying for students who meet the course requirements, that universities are sacrificing entry standards in what essentially amounts to a grab for more fees.

Original post by TenOfThem
Lots of people :smile:

Remember the A Levels were only the key to open this door

Congratulations on your place :biggrin:

Entirely incorrect for anyone looking at graduate schemes in the future.

Original post by lilmissA
When I applied to uni in 2009, my conditional offer was BBB , i got CDD so yeah went on track expecting a rejection and low and behold an unconditional offer, i was stunned , i screamed and danced around like an idiot , they didnt make a mistake though got a 1st in my degree :smile: ....don't worry ulle be fine and once your in the real world nobody cares about A levels...

Congratulations on your first, but again this is incorrect in the case of many people who want to pursue graduate employment in top companies. UCAS tariffs are normally a pre-requisite.

Only reason I'm pointing this out is because the OP (or others in a similar situation who've narrowly missed grades) might still want to consider remarks and retakes, even if they've got in to their chosen courses, because those UCAS points might make a difference further down the road. I was told similar things when I finished school (A-levels only matter to get you in to uni, nobody cares once you have a degree etc.), and I have on occasion retrospectively regretted not knowing better at the time. Worth some thought IMO!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 68
My friend needed AAB to get into York but actually he just got ACD which was pretty under requirement. He still got in, no problem.
Another one who applied to Kent. His offer was ABB meanwhile he got ACC with 6.5 IELTS. All he got was a message from UCAS saying that "Congratulation"
I got ACC as well which is by far lower than Clearing requirement of a top-end university. They still manage to give me a verbal offer. I have just received a email from them saying that "They have my application and it is being processed". If there is nothing wrong, it would be a fairy tale to me in this summer.
For sure, many good universities have an unreasonable requirement for their courses so they have to fill the vacancies significantly in Clearing which is pretty good for ones like me.
Reply 69
Original post by ElChapo
Same thing really

^ i thought that...
Reply 70
Similar story happened to me :smile:

Offer was: ABB
What I got was: BBC

I was still excepted and was over the moon!! I think personal statement, work experience is very important factors where unis can decide of they are willing to take you on.
Reply 71
Needed ABB to get into Keele this year. I ended up getting BBC and I still got in!
Reply 72
Original post by SaFa1237
I needed AAA for UCL and instead I got AABB and I still never got accepted. You guys are lucky!

Needed AAB for UCL and got AAC instead. I was rejected. It amazes me the amount of people getting in top/good universities despite missing a few grades. Why can't UCL be more lenient :mad:
Reply 73
Original post by ElChapo
Same thing really

Yeah, but I got a C in Biology and that was the one they asked for a B in. And when we went for the open day, they were pretty determined that if you don't get B in Biology, they wouldn't let you on the course. :smile:
Reply 74
Original post by M1011
Based on this thread it seems like we should all apply to courses with requirements 40-60 UCAS above what we actually believe we'll achieve from our top three? It's a bit annoying for students who meet the course requirements, that universities are sacrificing entry standards in what essentially amounts to a grab for more fees.

Entirely incorrect for anyone looking at graduate schemes in the future.

Congratulations on your first, but again this is incorrect in the case of many people who want to pursue graduate employment in top companies. UCAS tariffs are normally a pre-requisite.

Only reason I'm pointing this out is because the OP (or others in a similar situation who've narrowly missed grades) might still want to consider remarks and retakes, even if they've got in to their chosen courses, because those UCAS points might make a difference further down the road. I was told similar things when I finished school (A-levels only matter to get you in to uni, nobody cares once you have a degree etc.), and I have on occasion retrospectively regretted not knowing better at the time. Worth some thought IMO!

I am in the REAL world, I have had a year out working for one of the top MULTINATIONAL pharmaceutical companies on the planet, and i have had a few other interviews and job offers from them , so i know what i am talking about :wink: . Also the job i applied for they asked for at least a year of experience , the only thing i had was my research project and a few jobs and research experience during the summer, ... all the op has to do is apply wisely and make up for it with work experience and getting a 1st in his degree... A levels DOES NOT stop anyone who is willing to prove themselves and succeed later on in life. Also got Phd offers from UCL, Kings and Manchester (which is kinda like a job) and they sure as hell didn't ask me squat about my a levels ... I also applied for and got a job offer at a very respected company in the US which i would have gone to if I weren't starting med school this Sept. People change and develop into totally new individuals in these 3 years they are at uni i know i sure did, and trust me i can RIVAL anyone who had 3 A* or what ever, i KNOW that. OP if it makes you feel better by all means go ahead and get your remarks however, i doubt it will make a huge difference...
Reply 75
Original post by Nitrogen
Needed AAB for UCL and got AAC instead. I was rejected. It amazes me the amount of people getting in top/good universities despite missing a few grades. Why can't UCL be more lenient :mad:

I know right! What did you apply for?
Reply 76
Original post by Nitrogen

^^^

This, gutted tbh.
Reply 77
Original post by YoloPirate
Jesus christ, York rejected my original application and I ended up getting A*AB for an ABB course, just shows you how broken the system is. No disrespect to you of course, i'm just being bitter :P

I had a similar thing with Queen Margaret in Edinburgh! They rejected me, and I got ABC when they asked for CCC!
Reply 78
Yep I needed AAB and got AAC, bit gutted I didn't get the B but I got accepted to do psychology anyway. I know psychology is quite competitive so I'm really happy that I did get accepted, they must have liked me haha
Reply 79
Original post by KittKatt
I had a similar thing with Queen Margaret in Edinburgh! They rejected me, and I got ABC when they asked for CCC!

How?! Didn't you ring them? Must be a mistake

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending