The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
To get into University I needed ABB. I got BBC and still got accepted into a really good Russell Group Uni, God knows how!
Reply 81
I did a foundation course and just missed out on a Merit (which is what my official offer asked for), but because the interviewers really liked my portfolio, they gave me a place regardless. I was over the moon :biggrin:
For my firm I needed to get a 7 on average, but my average was a 6.7 and I got in.
For my insurance, I needed to get an 8 on average, and I got in! (insert super surprised look)
I know someone who's offer was ABB and they got BDD and still got in, so they missed their firm by 100 points but got accepted anyway. I know more people who missed their offers but still got in than people who met their offer. I'm the only person I know who exceeded their firm offer.
Reply 84
I needed AAB for my firm, managed to get in with just ABC!! Was a little disappointed but who cares!

Now i'm just waiting on whether I can defer or not, they may not want to due to missing the requirements and now I just have to wait for a stupid email, its driving me crazy.
Original post by Nuttyclorox
Yep. Two whole grades. Mwahaha. The downside to this of course is that I'm incredibly frustrated about my failure, but I can't lie, I am over the moon about uni :biggrin:

I'd like to tell myself that they really liked me but actually I just reckon it was an unpopular course.

Anyone else have stories about not meeting the offers but getting in regardless?

This is pretty common though - except for like oxbridge universities. I heard that last year for Law, UCL were letting in people with ABB and the normal entry requirement was A*AA
Reply 86
Needed BBB. I got BCC. Still got in.

Mate needed ABB. He got BCC. Got into Royal Holloway. Lucky git!
Reply 87
Original post by ElChapo
How?! Didn't you ring them? Must be a mistake

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah, I'm going to Liverpool instead. Ended up putting them first as Edinburgh messed me about anyway with all the application and stuff. They told me they didn't interview and then gave out conditional offers on the condition that you had a one-on-one interview. And they took AGES to reply.... it was about the end of March when I heard back from them. And was rejected.... :frown: Ah, well, Liverpool's probably a better uni anyway. :biggrin:
Reply 88
Original post by SaFa1237
I know right! What did you apply for?

I orginally applied for chemistry, but I didnt get in. They gave me an offer for Biochemical engineering though and I accepted it as my firm. Its not even a popular course -_-
My offer was BBB and I got in with A*CD with a C in the subject I wanted to study (psychology).. literally no idea how! It was my insurance but to be honest I preferred it to my firm so I'm made up, just gonna pretend my C and D never happened haha.
Reply 90
Original post by Gallifreyan95
I got in with BBC despite needing ABB

Still, I'm unhappy with my results; two of the grades were very close to going up.

Got bbc too happy got in but I'm still annoyed with my grades and paid for one remark, feels like I shouldn't have worked so hard because it didn't show in the end
Reply 91
Original post by YasmineJ
To get into University I needed ABB. I got BBC and still got accepted into a really good Russell Group Uni, God knows how!
may i know which russel group uni was that,please?:smile:
Reply 92
Original post by lilmissA
I am in the REAL world, I have had a year out working for one of the top MULTINATIONAL pharmaceutical companies on the planet, and i have had a few other interviews and job offers from them , so i know what i am talking about :wink: . Also the job i applied for they asked for at least a year of experience , the only thing i had was my research project and a few jobs and research experience during the summer, ... all the op has to do is apply wisely and make up for it with work experience and getting a 1st in his degree... A levels DOES NOT stop anyone who is willing to prove themselves and succeed later on in life. Also got Phd offers from UCL, Kings and Manchester (which is kinda like a job) and they sure as hell didn't ask me squat about my a levels ... I also applied for and got a job offer at a very respected company in the US which i would have gone to if I weren't starting med school this Sept. People change and develop into totally new individuals in these 3 years they are at uni i know i sure did, and trust me i can RIVAL anyone who had 3 A* or what ever, i KNOW that. OP if it makes you feel better by all means go ahead and get your remarks however, i doubt it will make a huge difference...

You seem to have taken offence, although I'm not sure why. Congratulations on having found a job in the "REAL world". You could do with deflating your ego a little bit though, please don't assume you're the only one with a career.

Moving on; please highlight where I said you or anyone else could not find a job? Nowhere. The above post is unfortunately not at all related to what I actually said, but appears to be some sort of ego trip.

Now back on point, I highlighted in your post that this statement is incorrect; "once your in the real world nobody cares about A levels." This statement is incorrect and misleading to young students who don't know better. While of course not all employers care about UCAS, many of the top ones do require a UCAS tariff for their graduate positions. Therefore it is worth considering remarks etc, even if a university place is secured.

Google 'top graduate employers list', pick any list you like and then have a look down the requirements. The majority do have UCAS requirements at the top end, especially for candidates who are aiming for banks, law firms, accountancy firms, consultancy firms etc. Therefore to say that nobody in the real world cares about A levels is clearly, unarguably untrue, given I could post any number of links right here to jobs that candidates can't apply to without X amount of UCAS.

Lets take accountancy as an example (I have no idea what the OP might want to do). If the OP wanted to train as an accountant, his UCAS tariff of 260 would rule him out of the top 10+ (probably more) firms out of hand, no matter what he achieves at degree level. I don't think it's a particularly sensible policy, but nevertheless it is the situation. He simply wouldn't be permissible to have his application considered! That's not to say he couldn't still become an accountant at a less demanding firm, but if accountancy was his aim than his UCAS alone would be ruling him out of applying to all of the leaders in the sector ('big 4' etc). In light of that, and if hypothetically this was the OPs aim, would you not agree that his UCAS does matter and that actions to improve his grades should be considered? Obviously this scenario applies to many different sectors, not just accountancy, but may not directly apply to the OP.

I do agree that once you gain sufficient experience (e.g. no longer looking at graduate level roles), A-levels do become unimportant and only degree level qualifications are really considered. Nobody is judging a 30 year old with nine years experience on the merit of his school grades!
Missed Oxford offer by 40 UCAS points. Don't think anyone can beat that in the riding your luck stakes.
Reply 94
Congrats you lucky son of a bitch! :cheers:
Reply 95
I had the opposite. I needed 280 points. I got those points and yet I still wasn't accepted. I had to get into my firm choice through clearing. -__
Original post by _anyawalsh
Yeah my friend told me yesterday that her friend had an conditional at a top uni that required 3 A's which she was predicted to get, she got BCC and still got in, quite surprised

Posted from TSR Mobile

Out of interest ... What course ??
Reply 97
Original post by YasmineJ
Hi that's great , what was the uni?
Reply 98
Original post by M1011
You seem to have taken offence, although I'm not sure why. Congratulations on having found a job in the "REAL world". You could do with deflating your ego a little bit though, please don't assume you're the only one with a career.

Moving on; please highlight where I said you or anyone else could not find a job? Nowhere. The above post is unfortunately not at all related to what I actually said, but appears to be some sort of ego trip.

Now back on point, I highlighted in your post that this statement is incorrect; "once your in the real world nobody cares about A levels." This statement is incorrect and misleading to young students who don't know better. While of course not all employers care about UCAS, many of the top ones do require a UCAS tariff for their graduate positions. Therefore it is worth considering remarks etc, even if a university place is secured.

Google 'top graduate employers list', pick any list you like and then have a look down the requirements. The majority do have UCAS requirements at the top end, especially for candidates who are aiming for banks, law firms, accountancy firms, consultancy firms etc. Therefore to say that nobody in the real world cares about A levels is clearly, unarguably untrue, given I could post any number of links right here to jobs that candidates can't apply to without X amount of UCAS.

Lets take accountancy as an example (I have no idea what the OP might want to do). If the OP wanted to train as an accountant, his UCAS tariff of 260 would rule him out of the top 10+ (probably more) firms out of hand, no matter what he achieves at degree level. I don't think it's a particularly sensible policy, but nevertheless it is the situation. He simply wouldn't be permissible to have his application considered! That's not to say he couldn't still become an accountant at a less demanding firm, but if accountancy was his aim than his UCAS alone would be ruling him out of applying to all of the leaders in the sector ('big 4' etc). In light of that, and if hypothetically this was the OPs aim, would you not agree that his UCAS does matter and that actions to improve his grades should be considered? Obviously this scenario applies to many different sectors, not just accountancy, but may not directly apply to the OP.

I do agree that once you gain sufficient experience (e.g. no longer looking at graduate level roles), A-levels do become unimportant and only degree level qualifications are really considered. Nobody is judging a 30 year old with nine years experience on the merit of his school grades!

Funny how you can make ''assumptions'' about someone you don't know and just a few texts over the internet :rolleyes: . I have not taken offence to anything and whether or not you think that I have taken an ''ego'' trip when someone has worked damn HARD they do earn the right to encourage others that it does pay off, you have NEVER walked in my shoes and do not know me to comment tell me about deflating an ego... OP seemed to be quite distressed over this and i was simply letting him know from MY experiences and speaking with friends and other students who have successfully gone onto the job market into top companies and didn't have A*s or ''great A levels'' ... Also I never said that i was the only one with a career, I never posted anything about you posting that i or enyone else couldn't find a job...you seem to have a knack for putting words in people's mouths :rolleyes:... . Anyways I did encourage the OP to get work experience, and remark his A levels to ease his mind. I will only discuss points that i made not ones that are made up for me in favour of winning an argument.
Reply 99
Original post by flavia96
may i know which russel group uni was that,please?:smile:

Glasgow :-)

Latest

Trending

Trending