The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

NatSci Discussion!

Just made this topic for all the NatSci people (me included!!!) who are getting to grips with the complexity of the degree. The booklet they sent is sooooo complicated and I still need to try and keep my options open. If you want you can talk about your preferred subject options and the dilemna you face. Since I'm first I suppose I'll start...

Physics + Maths + English.

I want to do 2 english modules each year so that leaves 4 open. However if i wanted to do a straight physics honours i need to take 4 physics modules in 1st year along with the single maths module for scientists/engineers. Also to progress to level 2 modules u need to have done 2 previous level 1 modules which means i have to do 2 english level1 modules to do 2 english level2 modules....

Decisions decisions :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
NeverBeNormal
Just made this topic for all the NatSci people (me included!!!) who are getting to grips with the complexity of the degree. The booklet they sent is sooooo complicated and I still need to try and keep my options open. If you want you can talk about your preferred subject options and the dilemna you face. Since I'm first I suppose I'll start...

Physics + Maths + English.

I want to do 2 english modules each year so that leaves 4 open. However if i wanted to do a straight physics honours i need to take 4 physics modules in 1st year along with the single maths module for scientists/engineers. Also to progress to level 2 modules u need to have done 2 previous level 1 modules which means i have to do 2 english level1 modules to do 2 english level2 modules....

Decisions decisions :frown:

Booklet? What booklet? I'll get an booklet?! Yeih :biggrin:

4 Physics modules? I thought it was 3... Foundations and Discovery Skills...
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
I hate NatSci, it hates me.
All of NatSci smells like wee.

Nic-nak paddywack give Physics a slap, this degree is F'N crap.
Reply 3
scintillo
Booklet? What booklet? I'll get an booklet?! Yeih :biggrin:

4 Physics modules? I thought it was 3... Foundations and Discovery Skills...

Yeah it is 3. I just got an email from Dave about this.

Thanks for your selection, it is fine and will allow you to progress in
Philosophy and Physics (but not Maths).

A concession would be required to transfer to Year 2 SH Physics, but
there is a good chance that this would be successful.

This was with me taking Foundations of Physics 1, Disco Skills and Maths for Eng/Sci. The 'concession' part is there because I have put MFES instead of Core A or SMA+SMB. I did this so that I could take 2 philosophy modules.
Reply 4
Disco Skills sounds like an immense module...
Reply 5
Don't you mean Disco Skillz??

I was considering broadening out from my named route in Chem/Phys joint honours and going for the single module 'Computer Hacking Skillz' and 'Nun-chuk Skillz'.

Should I email Dave Robson to ask, or is it too late??:frown:
Reply 6
Disco skills!?!?!

Oh, you mean like "DISCOVERY SKILLS IN PHYSICS"?

Neil
Reply 7
email dave, he's a beast and will defo know whats best for u! If you have a choice in what module u do though make sure you pick em for yourself cus he'l just suggest the ones that are going to be most useful next year, as opposed to the easy ones, which im sure ul want :smile:

Neverbenormal - hope ur ready to work like a fat kid on a treadmil with that selection!l :rolleyes:
Reply 8
RobbieC
Don't you mean Disco Skillz??

I was considering broadening out from my named route in Chem/Phys joint honours and going for the single module 'Computer Hacking Skillz' and 'Nun-chuk Skillz'.

Should I email Dave Robson to ask, or is it too late??:frown:

If you want to progress to the fourth year module SKILL4021 Madskillz for Leetorz, then yes it is too late. Sorry :frown:. I did however receive this email from dave:

Thanks for your selection, it is fine and will allow you to progress in
Physics and Skillz (but not Maths).

A concession would be required to transfer to Year 2 Hardcore Skillz, but
there is a good chance that this would be successful, if you acheive satisfactory results in Skillz for All and Introduction to Skillz.

Dave.
We called it Disco Skills. But them part of the TCM module this year we called 'Cervix' with a completely straight face. As in, 'Have you done the cervix probbies?'

My non-physics buddies thought we were proper strange for that.

Its real name was CVX
Reply 10
Then why not Ceevix?
Because Cervix is part of the female reproductive system and therefore funny.
Reply 12
Teehee.
Thats it, get into the spirit of things!
Reply 14
Ovary!

heh heh.
Heeeheee

Hymen
Reply 16
W0mb.
Vulva

How long till this thread gets blocked and/or removed you reckon?
Reply 18
Don't know, but maybe if we step up the pace here...

Vagina.
Clitoris

Latest