The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Royal Holloway Students: ask us anything!

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

I wanted to ask about the psychology course. It requires a minimum of a grade B in GCSE Maths, but i have a C. I contacted the uni and the adviser said that he advises I retake maths gcse, or provide supporting evidence if i had extenuating circumstances. I did have this, but do you think that if i provide the evidence they will still make me retake the maths?

Thanks!
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Original post by Evangeline07
Hi,

I wanted to ask about the psychology course. It requires a minimum of a grade B in GCSE Maths, but i have a C. I contacted the uni and the adviser said that he advises I retake maths gcse, or provide supporting evidence if i had extenuating circumstances. I did have this, but do you think that if i provide the evidence they will still make me retake the maths?

Thanks!

Hi,

I have spoken to our Admissions team and they recommend that you email [email protected] with details of your extenuating circumstances, so that these can be taken into consideration if you choose to apply to Royal Holloway.

They do also recommend that you re-take your Maths GCSE, as the Psychology department at Royal Holloway require their students to have a minimum B grade to equip them well for their studies, and it is not guaranteed that your extenuating circumstances will allow for your C grade to be considered in your application.

If you have any other questions, please let me know and I'll be happy to answer them.

I hope this helps,

Katie
Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London
Hi,

I have spoken to our Admissions team and they recommend that you email [email protected] with details of your extenuating circumstances, so that these can be taken into consideration if you choose to apply to Royal Holloway.

They do also recommend that you re-take your Maths GCSE, as the Psychology department at Royal Holloway require their students to have a minimum B grade to equip them well for their studies, and it is not guaranteed that your extenuating circumstances will allow for your C grade to be considered in your application.

If you have any other questions, please let me know and I'll be happy to answer them.

I hope this helps,

Katie

Thank you very much! Yes, it was very helpful :smile:
Repost from another thread :
Hello.
I went to the Open Day today. And i can honestly say i really liked RH, I liked that its a quiet uni, and im a really quiet guy myself. Not the clubbing type. I do enjoy having fun, but in mostly other ways.
Anyway, have a few questions about it. I am interested in studying Physics, so what can people studying physics there tell me about it? Do you enjoy it? Are the teaching standards good? And most importantly : I am predicted AAB for A Levels, I know that they expect AAA, but I also have extenuating circumstances. Anyway, I asked one member of the staff if I have a chance and she said that I should apply because I may have a good chance if I do good at the interview.So is there anybody here who got in with AAB?
And the last question : I know its obvious from my English, but I am an International student( Romanian/Moldavian), how is the attitude here towards internationals?
(edited 9 years ago)
Do you offer Ph.D programs?
Original post by dancristiancecoi
Repost from another thread :
Hello.
I went to the Open Day today. And i can honestly say i really liked RH, I liked that its a quiet uni, and im a really quiet guy myself. Not the clubbing type. I do enjoy having fun, but in mostly other ways.
Anyway, have a few questions about it. I am interested in studying Physics, so what can people studying physics there tell me about it? Do you enjoy it? Are the teaching standards good? And most importantly : I am predicted AAB for A Levels, I know that they expect AAA, but I also have extenuating circumstances. Anyway, I asked one member of the staff if I have a chance and she said that I should apply because I may have a good chance if I do good at the interview.So is there anybody here who got in with AAB?
And the last question : I know its obvious from my English, but I am an International student( Romanian/Moldavian), how is the attitude here towards internationals?

Hi,

It's great to hear that you came to our Open Day and liked the university. We definitely have enough going on both on and off campus so that you can have a good time whatever your interests are!

In terms of the Physics department at Royal Holloway, I know you want to hear from current students regarding the course itself and the teaching style, but I saw that you also would like to know about our entry requirements. Our entry requirements for any Physics course at Royal Holloway are AAA/AAB with an A-Level or equivalent in both Physics and Mathematics. International students must also have an IELTS score of 6.5 overall. If you meet these entry requirements then I'd definitely recommend applying. In terms of your extenuating circumstances, if you email[email protected] the details of your circumstances when you apply, then they can have these on record. You can find out more about the Physics department on our website.

In answer to your last question, Royal Holloway is ranked 1st in the UK for International Outlook in the Times Higher World Rankings, and so you will find a lot of support available for international students. Our International Student Support team is a dedicated team who provide support and advice to all international students from the moment you arrive in the UK. They arrange a free airport collection service at the start of your course, and are on-hand to assist you throughout your time at Royal Holloway. To find out more about the support we offer our international students, you can visit their section of our website.

If you have any other questions that you would like answering, I am more than happy to answer them.

I hope this information helps,

Katie
Original post by inachigeek21
Do you offer Ph.D programs?

Hi,

Yes, we do offer PH.D programmes. In terms of how you apply, PH.D applicants must approach the department/supervisor themselves to apply. You can find out more about our research degrees on our website.

If you have any other questions, I am more than happy to answer them.

I hope this helps,

Katie
Why don't you have any engineering degrees

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Michael_98
Why don't you have any engineering degrees

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

We offer Software Engineering (BSc/MSci) in our Computer Science department: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/computerscience/prospectivestudents/undergraduate/softwareengineering.aspx

We currently do not have a department that offers mechanical, civil or electronics engineering. This, however, may change in the future.

Regards,

Emily
Hello, I am thinking about applying to this university, but what I heard from my friends and other people ( please do not take this to offence ) that this university is full of "stuck up, posh people/oxford rejects ). Is this true? If it is, HOW much of it is true?
The thing is is that I am a really introverted person as I do have a disability which makes me stand out from the crowd.....a lot....but I do have one of the best group of friends in my life, also from Kent University ( i came out of pharmacy, hoping to study c.s., something that I enjoy rather than my parents forcing me to become something ). My question is, will the fact that this university is campus based, closed off from like....London itself, mean the students here are quite....not open....do you know what I am trying to say? I apologise if this is a stupid ridiculous question.
I know that this is unexpected of me as well, but once I am in a group of friends, I am a party animal...quite literally.... ( threw up in a taxi once, had to pay 50 quid -_- ), and one thing I relished the chance to study in London was the London nightlife!!! But from what I found out....Royal Holloway isn't the uni for people looking to spend clubbing in.....London, the whole uni is like "on a big hill in the middle of nowhere". So basically, I have come to accept the fact that I will not be clubbing like a proper londoner, so what kinds of clubs, STUFF are there that a typical student would like ON CAMPUS??
Also, how cheap is Royal Holloway as a whole in terms of its location...? My friends did tell me that one advantage of going to royal holloway is that nearly everything is gonna be on campus, and is not gonna be following the london price.....how much of that is true ( restaurants, cafes, clothes shopping, malls, RENTING HOUSES IN SECOND YEAR, accommodation fees etc)
Also, what is the ( not to sound racist, like, I am South Korean ), racial background ratio of this university? I heard that there are a lot of asians here and if there are.....or generally a lot of any racial background, do they hang about amongst themselves?? Because I REALLY HATE THAT, thats why I never did hang out with any of the koreans in kent! I HATE MINGLING WITH LIKE THE SAME PEOPLE, i just dont like the whole "only hang out with my own kind thing"! While studying pharmacy the course was literally 80 percent indian and EVEN OUT OF THE COURSE, they hung about amongst themselves! Its not as if they cannot speak English, they're fluent as any other normal english person! Again, I apologise if I sound racist, its just that I am paranoid of not making any friends in this uni due to tightly formed groups of one racial background....if that is true...
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi there, I'm a first year student at RHUL so I can answer some of your questions.

Original post by scaphrax
Hello, I am thinking about applying to this university, but what I heard from my friends and other people ( please do not take this to offence ) that this university is full of "stuck up, posh people/oxford rejects ). Is this true? If it is, HOW much of it is true?

I haven't noticed any more particularly stuck up or posh people than you'd expect at other unis. Of course there are going to be some, possibly a few more at RHUL, but I don't think this is something that should be a major factor in your decision to apply here or not.

I know that this is unexpected of me as well, but once I am in a group of friends, I am a party animal...quite literally.... ( threw up in a taxi once, had to pay 50 quid -_- ), and one thing I relished the chance to study in London was the London nightlife!!! But from what I found out....Royal Holloway isn't the uni for people looking to spend clubbing in.....London, the whole uni is like "on a big hill in the middle of nowhere". So basically, I have come to accept the fact that I will not be clubbing like a proper londoner, so what kinds of clubs, STUFF are there that a typical student would like ON CAMPUS??

The SU is open on Wednesday and Friday nights and is a fairly popular venue but it's not going to be clubbing in the way that you'd get in London. There are a few pubs just off campus that are quite nice but no proper clubs.
You can always go into London if you're desperate, it's only 40 mins on the train to Waterloo.

Also, how cheap is Royal Holloway as a whole in terms of its location...? My friends did tell me that one advantage of going to royal holloway is that nearly everything is gonna be on campus, and is not gonna be following the london price.....how much of that is true ( restaurants, cafes, clothes shopping, malls, RENTING HOUSES IN SECOND YEAR, accommodation fees etc)

This is one thing I'vefound to be true somewhat, I'm currently getting UoL Student Loans but probably not having to pay the same prices for food etc. as I'm not directly in London.
The campus shop has fairly high prices but if you can take the time to walk into Egham you can get everything you need fairly cheaply from Tescos and Budgens.
In 2nd year, you can still live in halls, people with a disability get first priority but I can't really comment on house prices as I haven't really started looking into it yet.

Also, what is the ( not to sound racist, like, I am South Korean ), racial background ratio of this university? I heard that there are a lot of asians here and if there are.....or generally a lot of any racial background, do they hang about amongst themselves?? Because I REALLY HATE THAT, thats why I never did hang out with any of the koreans in kent! I HATE MINGLING WITH LIKE THE SAME PEOPLE, i just dont like the whole "only hang out with my own kind thing"! While studying pharmacy the course was literally 80 percent indian and EVEN OUT OF THE COURSE, they hung about amongst themselves! Its not as if they cannot speak English, they're fluent as any other normal english person! Again, I apologise if I sound racist, its just that I am paranoid of not making any friends in this uni due to tightly formed groups of one racial background....if that is true...

There are quite a few international students at RHUL, I think one of the highest proportions in the country, and I have noticed that the South East Asian students tend to stick together in groups. But there's definitely no reason that you can't make friends with people that aren't South Korean. If you'll be living in halls you will definitely make friends with people of all ethnicities.
Hi I'm really hoping I have done enough to get into Royal Holloway. English requires AAB-ABB and I have secured AAAB at AS level, but am awaiting my offers.

I'm just wondering what the hall rooms are like in terms of electricity/plugs. I hear all sorts about how you can't use hairdryers - in your experience has this affected you? I would plan to bring GHD straighteners and a hairdryer to campus and I think both are way above the watts limit. Also, if you are not supposed to use above a small watt limit, is it fine to plug in/charge multiple things? Like a laptop, phone, etc etc? How about if I were to bring an extra lamp (aside from the reading lamp provided) to put nearer to my bed? I know some people bring televisions to uni rooms, so I'm just wondering. I also play the electric guitar and, granted that I would always play it very quietly with an amp plugged in, would the amp be suitable for use in my room?
Original post by screamadelica
Hi I'm really hoping I have done enough to get into Royal Holloway. English requires AAB-ABB and I have secured AAAB at AS level, but am awaiting my offers.

I'm just wondering what the hall rooms are like in terms of electricity/plugs. I hear all sorts about how you can't use hairdryers - in your experience has this affected you? I would plan to bring GHD straighteners and a hairdryer to campus and I think both are way above the watts limit. Also, if you are not supposed to use above a small watt limit, is it fine to plug in/charge multiple things? Like a laptop, phone, etc etc? How about if I were to bring an extra lamp (aside from the reading lamp provided) to put nearer to my bed? I know some people bring televisions to uni rooms, so I'm just wondering. I also play the electric guitar and, granted that I would always play it very quietly with an amp plugged in, would the amp be suitable for use in my room?

Hairdryers are fine!
Hey, do any of you guys know where the computer science students get taught at? I cannot seem to find any pics online where its taught? Also, which building is it because I'm trying to see which is the best accommodation for the computer science building.

Another reason why I'm asking is because i recently found out that only 80-100 students on average are in the 1st year of computer science in royal holloway, thats even smaller than my previous pharmacy university, medway school of pharmacy, 140 students. All my other friends who are studying engineering and medicine, they've got like 300-350 in one year!
Are the c.s. students even taught in a legit lecture theatre, pls tell me they do because if they're taught in a seminar room or some form of classroom, i really am having second thoughts.
Original post by scaphrax
Hey, do any of you guys know where the computer science students get taught at? I cannot seem to find any pics online where its taught? Also, which building is it because I'm trying to see which is the best accommodation for the computer science building.

Another reason why I'm asking is because i recently found out that only 80-100 students on average are in the 1st year of computer science in royal holloway, thats even smaller than my previous pharmacy university, medway school of pharmacy, 140 students. All my other friends who are studying engineering and medicine, they've got like 300-350 in one year!
Are the c.s. students even taught in a legit lecture theatre, pls tell me they do because if they're taught in a seminar room or some form of classroom, i really am having second thoughts.

Hi,

Like most subjects, Computer Science is taught across a variety of buildings. Classes can be held in the Bourne Lecture Theatres, Horton Lecture Theatres, Management Lecture Theatre, the Windsor Building, and of course in the Computer Labs. Here's a map for you to see.

Computer Science is mostly taught through lectures, small-group tutorials, classes, supervised computing laboratory work, group work and coursework. Having smaller class-sizes allows a more personalised teaching experience, which also reflects Royal Holloway's close-knit community.

I do think it is a good idea to ask other students what they think about class sizes, and I also recommend gaining first-hand experience of what our teaching spaces are like at an Applicant Visit Day, if possible, so that you have a clear picture of what studying at Royal Holloway is like.

Best,

Emily
If i do a humanities course, how many hours a week will it be? i hate my curretn course history because its only 7 hours a week....
Hello,
Just a quick question.

Is there any way of finding out or being able to calculate how many days we will be attending Uni?

I only ask as I am commuting by car and trying to figure out my milage if I am accepted.
Original post by LeeSkittrall
Hello,
Just a quick question.

Is there any way of finding out or being able to calculate how many days we will be attending Uni?

I only ask as I am commuting by car and trying to figure out my milage if I am accepted.

Depends on your subject, but can pretty much be sure of every day in the week :smile:
Original post by swarfliam
Depends on your subject, but can pretty much be sure of every day in the week :smile:

I was looking at Film, Television and Digital Media Production?
(edited 9 years ago)
When/how would I apply for accommodation? My mum and I know which set of apartments we would like me to go to, and of course I understand it would probably be a preference as opposed to a guarantee I'd get into my first choice. I've received an offer, and I'm just wondering when I should begin to consider accommodation, how etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending