The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Royal Holloway Students: ask us anything!

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys,

I was wondering which accommodation on campus would the best? To be specific, im gonna be studying computer science with a year in industry, so which accommodation is the best thats nearest to the buildings im gonna be studying in.
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Original post by screamadelica
When/how would I apply for accommodation? My mum and I know which set of apartments we would like me to go to, and of course I understand it would probably be a preference as opposed to a guarantee I'd get into my first choice. I've received an offer, and I'm just wondering when I should begin to consider accommodation, how etc.

Hi there,

Accommodation applications used to open up in March/April but they are a bit later on in the year for this academic cycle.

Please see our accommodation web pages for information (and please regularly check back as we will continue to update them). There is no need to worry about accommodation just yet but please do feel free to view the halls of residences we have to be prepared!

Best,

Emily
Original post by scaphrax
Hey guys,

I was wondering which accommodation on campus would the best? To be specific, im gonna be studying computer science with a year in industry, so which accommodation is the best thats nearest to the buildings im gonna be studying in.

Hi,

This year our accommodation application system is changing so applicants will no longer be able to choose their halls of residences by name. Instead, you will pick them by their type and facilities. However, just to let you know that our teaching spaces are spread around campus and our on-campus halls of residences (such as Founders, Reid, Wedderburn, Williamson, Tuke and Butler) are all very close together and within a few minutes walk from our academic buildings. So, whichever one of these halls you end up in you are likely to be near your classes.

I hope that helps,

Emily
Would a mature student (starting at 22 or 23) fit in at Royal Holloway?

How easy is it to commute to London?

Do you accept Access courses?
Do you know anyone that has graduated from MSc Petroleum Geoscience? I work abroad and will be away for the open days so won't have the chance to speak to current students.

If you could let me know of anyone who has graduated and whether I could contact them, it would be great. I am looking for information on graduate destinations from the last few groups that graduated; every university lists off the biggest and brightest destinations, but in reality where do the grads end up?

Thanks
Original post by Morrisseya
Would a mature student (starting at 22 or 23) fit in at Royal Holloway?

How easy is it to commute to London?

Do you accept Access courses?

Hi there

My name is Tom and I am a current student at Royal Holloway.

I myself started at 21 or 22 and had no real difficulties fitting in as a result of my age, so to my mind the answer is undoubtedly yes, you should have no problems being slightly older.

I am currently doing an intercollegiate MA and as a result I have to travel into London three times a week, the train station is a 10 minute walk from the back gate (of campus) and the train takes 40 minutes.
tl:dr, its really easy.

It would seem that the fates aligned today as I also did an access course, the answer is yes they do accept access courses. It is definitely worth getting in touch with admissions to find out what offers they are likely to make as individual courses will vary, to do so you can use this form: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/enquiry/

Hope that all helped.

Regards

Tom
Hi, is there any under-bed storage or storage at the top of wardrobes in any of the rooms? Just wondering if there'd be a tidy place to keep my suitcase, or if I should get someone to pick it up when it's empty a few days in.
Hey guys, another question. I am pondering whether I wanna go for self catered or catered. I did self catered in kent and it was really nice cus the tescos was LITERALLY attached onto the accommodation building, like a 2 sec walk from the entrance XD. So it was really nice to carry the food, dont have to carry for a long distance.

Iv been looking at the campus, and i couldnt seem to find any sort of supermarket or anything along the lines of grocery shopping......pls dont tell me its like outside of the campus.
Hey guys, another question. I am pondering whether I wanna go for self catered or catered. I did self catered in kent and it was really nice cus the tescos was LITERALLY attached onto the accommodation building, like a 2 sec walk from the entrance XD. So it was really nice to carry the food, dont have to carry for a long distance.

Iv been looking at the campus, and i couldnt seem to find any sort of supermarket or anything along the lines of grocery shopping......pls dont tell me its like outside of the campus.

There's a small shop on campus which sells food, and a Tesco in town that has pretty much everything.
Original post by screamadelica
Hi, is there any under-bed storage or storage at the top of wardrobes in any of the rooms? Just wondering if there'd be a tidy place to keep my suitcase, or if I should get someone to pick it up when it's empty a few days in.

Hi,

Yes there is under the bed storage in our halls of accommodation, and you should be able to use the tops of wardrobes to store your suitcase but this depends on the type of wardrobe you have.

Best wishes,

Emily

Just to add to swarfliam's post about the College shop and the Tesco in town, every Tuesday during term time the Students' Union hosts an all-day farmers market which sells loads of fresh fruit and veg, amongst plenty of others, in the Union. More information here: https://www.su.rhul.ac.uk/news/article/6001/Market-Day-2014-2015/

I personally use it all the time! It's so convenient and I love the quality of the food.

Best,

Emily
Reply 91
Hello evreyone, I applied to Royal Holloway for management and I realised after I had already sent my PS that there were several mistakes, what do you think my chances are?
THx
Original post by sultaabs
Hello evreyone, I applied to Royal Holloway for management and I realised after I had already sent my PS that there were several mistakes, what do you think my chances are?
THx

What sort of mistakes? A few spelling/grammatical errors shouldn't affect your application so much that it will change any uni's decision about you.
Reply 93
It is like 5 mistakes like entrepreneurship I wrote it entrepreuneurship or financial- fiancial
It is like 5 mistakes like entrepreneurship I wrote it entrepreuneurship or financial- fiancial

It shouldn't matter too much, try not to worry about it.
THx

Hi there,

I just wanted to reassure you that if you are really worried about any spelling mistakes in your personal statement, you can re-send it to our Admissions Office via email. We can put your second personal statement on record and consider it alongside your original one.

If you would like to re-send it to us, please email it to [email protected] and ensure you quote either your UCAS ID or your Royal Holloway Student ID so we can file it against your application.

Best wishes,

Emily
Hey guys,

I was wondering whether it'd be worth taking a bicycle to campus? Have some people done that? Are there safe places to lock up ur bike? Its just that im planning on joining the table tennis team and i can see that the sport centre is quite on the edge of the campus
Reply 97
Hello everyone,
i'm sending my application for MSc on Information Security - Royal Holloway, next week.
Does anybody know what my chances are to get accommodation on campus? I really want to live there and not rent a house. Do i have the right to choose the hall i want to live to? Old students told me that it's better for me to live to a hall only for postgraduate students because of the noise on undergraduate halls.
Last, can i find out if there are going to be any Greeks on the Master i want to attend to?
Thank you..
Hey guys,

I was wondering whether it'd be worth taking a bicycle to campus? Have some people done that? Are there safe places to lock up ur bike? Its just that im planning on joining the table tennis team and i can see that the sport centre is quite on the edge of the campus

You can bring your bike, but it isn't worth it if you just want to get from one side of campus to the other- you'll be reducing a 7-8 minute walk to a 3 minute bike ride. If you want it to cycle into Egham etc. then fair enough, and yes, there are plenty of bike sheds on campus.
Original post by LeniG
Hello everyone,
i'm sending my application for MSc on Information Security - Royal Holloway, next week.
Does anybody know what my chances are to get accommodation on campus? I really want to live there and not rent a house. Do i have the right to choose the hall i want to live to? Old students told me that it's better for me to live to a hall only for postgraduate students because of the noise on undergraduate halls.
Last, can i find out if there are going to be any Greeks on the Master i want to attend to?
Thank you..

Hi there,

I advise you to regularly check back to this page on campus accommodation for new postgraduate students: https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/studyhere/accommodation/royalhollowayhalls/applying/new-pg.aspx

Accommodation for postgraduate students is allocated on a first-come-first-serve basis, so when applications open Wednesday 14th May 2014 you are more likely to get a place in halls if you apply as soon as it's possible.

Best of luck!

Emily

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending