The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Royal Holloway Students: ask us anything!

Ask us anything

Congratulations to those who have their unconditional offers at Royal Holloway! We are really excited to welcome you in September.

I have a couple of students with me, James and Christina, who are here to answer any questions you might have about Royal Holloway, such as student life.

Got any questions on what to expect in Welcome Week or how to spend your last pre-uni summer days wisely? Post them here!

Best,
Emily

Scroll to see replies

What's a great way to 'break the ice' when it comes to meeting your flat mates? I will be in the Butler hall and I'm a bit nervous about this, especially since I haven't found anyone living really close to me on studentroom either, so I'm going in blind so to speak.
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Original post by Wonderer1
What's a great way to 'break the ice' when it comes to meeting your flat mates? I will be in the Butler hall and I'm a bit nervous about this, especially since I haven't found anyone living really close to me on studentroom either, so I'm going in blind so to speak.

Hi there!

The important thing to remember is that a lot of people will be in a similar position to you, a lot of people will be going in as 'blind' as you. I'd suggest having a look on Facebook nearer Welcome Week as more people will post looking for their fellow flatmates.

I lived in Gowar in my first year which has essentially the same lay out as Tuke. A great icebreaker I found was taking something into the flat to share such as a cake or a box of chocolates. My flat sat around the kitchen table and talked about where we came from and what we were studying. I also made sure to put my phone number down on a sheet and invited my flatmates to do the same so we could contact each other if we needed to. I'd also recommend leaving the door to your room open so that people can stick their head in and say hello when they feel like it.

I'm not a particularly outgoing person but the way I actually broke the ice was by locking myself out of my room and having to admit I'd been a bit of an idiot! This helped break any tension there may have been. Probably best to not try that one yourself though.

Everybody in Freshers is incredibly friendly so I doubt you'll find it hard to make friends in your flat! If you're looking for more friends I'd suggest looking at the societies and sports teams we have at Royal Holloway, that way you all have at least one common interest or goal.

Best of luck and I might even see you in September,

James
Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London
Hi there!

The important thing to remember is that a lot of people will be in a similar position to you, a lot of people will be going in as 'blind' as you. I'd suggest having a look on Facebook nearer Welcome Week as more people will post looking for their fellow flatmates.

I lived in Gowar in my first year which has essentially the same lay out as Tuke. A great icebreaker I found was taking something into the flat to share such as a cake or a box of chocolates. My flat sat around the kitchen table and talked about where we came from and what we were studying. I also made sure to put my phone number down on a sheet and invited my flatmates to do the same so we could contact each other if we needed to. I'd also recommend leaving the door to your room open so that people can stick their head in and say hello when they feel like it.

I'm not a particularly outgoing person but the way I actually broke the ice was by locking myself out of my room and having to admit I'd been a bit of an idiot! This helped break any tension there may have been. Probably best to not try that one yourself though.

Everybody in Freshers is incredibly friendly so I doubt you'll find it hard to make friends in your flat! If you're looking for more friends I'd suggest looking at the societies and sports teams we have at Royal Holloway, that way you all have at least one common interest or goal.

Best of luck and I might even see you in September,

James

Thank you! This was very informative and I will probably bake some cupcakes or something. :smile: I also plan on joining Karate, anime and manga and the Japanese society. :smile:
Got two random questions here.

I'll be staying in halls and i'm coming from a long way; so if i get accommodation which is a 30 week contract is there somewhere I can keep things? As it would be a massive struggle to take it home and bring it back each term.

The other one was do any of you know any quick and relatively cheap ways to get from Royal Holloway to Newcastle?

Thanks,
Original post by leonPaul123

I'll be staying in halls and i'm coming from a long way; so if i get accommodation which is a 30 week contract is there somewhere I can keep things? As it would be a massive struggle to take it home and bring it back each term.

The other one was do any of you know any quick and relatively cheap ways to get from Royal Holloway to Newcastle?

Thanks,

Hey,

I personally had a 38 week contract to avoid this issue, not that that's much help to you haha. Royal Holloway doesn't offer storage space but there are plenty of companies cater to students who need to put things in storage. As we have so many international students there is quite a market for storage so you can shop around for university rates. Alternatively, you could find a friend with a 38 week contract and see if they are happy for you to store your stuff with them.

As for getting from Newcastle to Royal Holloway, I would recommend booking either trains in advance or getting a coach down using companies like Megabus or National Express. If you book early enough you should get it for a fraction of the price of booking the night before.

Thanks for your question!

James
Reply 6
Original post by leonPaul123

Thanks,

Hi - There are storage lockers in the Founder's building that you can rent during the holidays; usually they are big enough to share with others so you can split the cost which works out significantly cheaper than paying for the extra 8 weeks although is obviously more hassle!
I'm considering about getting a part time job as well, just for a little extra bit of work. what kind of jobs are easy to cope with on top of societies and lectures? What are the hours like for bar work or working in the library like at Royal holloway?
Reply 8
Hello, can you give me some/any information you have on Huntersdale Accomodation? I know there are only 6 places to be given out, but any information would be great =) (other than its location).

For example, maybe what its like and if you know anyone from there and their thoughts?

thanks
Original post by moistfish
Hello, can you give me some/any information you have on Huntersdale Accomodation? I know there are only 6 places to be given out, but any information would be great =) (other than its location).

For example, maybe what its like and if you know anyone from there and their thoughts?

thanks

Hi there,

I'm sorry but I'm a bit confused by your message as we don't have accommodation at Huntersdale. Huntersdale is a block of offices we have that is off-campus and is solely a building where university staff work.

This is a list of all of our accommodation. Could you please clarify which halls of residence you mean? I can then try to give you as much information as I can!

Thanks,

Emily
Original post by Wonderer1
I'm considering about getting a part time job as well, just for a little extra bit of work. what kind of jobs are easy to cope with on top of societies and lectures? What are the hours like for bar work or working in the library like at Royal holloway?

Getting a part time job is a great way to earn a bit of extra money which always comes in handy when a night out or an event can be spontaneous. I’d say look at a job at the university as they’re very understanding of your needs as far as lectures and societies. As far as I’m aware, the library is pretty flexible in terms of hours.

I’m under the impression that bar work is a bit more restricting. Whilst you won’t work much in the day, you might find that you have to work an SU night you want to go to or even work for the Summer Ball. As college shop staff and the library staff have longer days you might prefer to work there so you have a wider variety of times to choose to work. I must of course recommend becoming a Student Ambassador like myself, I find it really rewarding, the hours are very flexible and most importantly, I enjoy it!

Hope this helps!

James

Emily's two cents: Take a look at our 'Jobs while you study' section on our website for helpful tips from us!
Hello I am coming to RHUL this year to do a masters and I can't remember where I heard it but is there a market nearby or on site regularly that students can use to buy produce?...because Tescos isn't my fave supermarket to be honest
I am coming to RHUL in September and I can't remember where I heard this from...but I was wondering if there was Market on site or nearby on a regular basis?
From your experience, when it comes to essays etc, do they have to be written on Word Doc? I recently bought a MacBook for uni so I don't have Microsoft Office anymore. Thanks.
Original post by glennerzz
I am coming to RHUL in September and I can't remember where I heard this from...but I was wondering if there was Market on site or nearby on a regular basis?

There is a market held next to student union regularly. The spot is also used for some individuals to sell their stuff or do some promotion events.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by stanakaticshair
From your experience, when it comes to essays etc, do they have to be written on Word Doc? I recently bought a MacBook for uni so I don't have Microsoft Office anymore. Thanks.

OS X comes with Pages application which supports docx format. This doesn't mean every feature is cross-supported between MS Word and Pages, but the font size and such are supported at least.

If the department requires you to submit with specific format they will notify so, otherwise Pages should work fine.

You could also buy MS Office at student discount if you wish, but the general verdict is that MS Office on OS X is terrible or something.

Just make sure you can open the file in MS Word before submitting. Another workaround would be pasting your essay into Google doc then saving it into your computer as docx.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
Yeah, Pages can import and export files as .doc and .docx, so there shouldn't be a problem. Sometimes the formatting isn't preserved exactly, but if that's an issue you can export to pdf.

I believe in some disciplines, you have to upload a document for them to check for plagiarism and suchlike; I have no idea if this has to be a particular format, but as I said, even if it does it shouldn't cause too much of a problem. Worst case scenario is you have to export to a Word file and then check the formatting on one of the public computers at Uni.

There's also NeoOffice for OS X (Google it); it is a free office suite that does everything MS Office can do.
Hello, I was just wondering if you could tell me what standard of tennis the mens competitive first team is?
Thanks!
Original post by glennerzz
Hello I am coming to RHUL this year to do a masters and I can't remember where I heard it but is there a market nearby or on site regularly that students can use to buy produce?...because Tescos isn't my fave supermarket to be honest

Hi there,

The Students Union have a farmers market come to the SU every Tuesday during term time. More information here: https://www.su.rhul.ac.uk/news/article/6001/Market-Day-2014-2015/

I personally love the market. I always go there whenever I can!
Hello, is it worth taking a desktop PC to Royal Holloway or would i be better off using a laptop?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending