The Student Room Group

PGCE bursary?

Just a quick question regarding the bursary for PGCE students

I'm aware that receiving one is dependent on your degree class and subject, but, is it also based on your household income?

I can't find a straight answer anywhere!

I didn't apply for a means tested loan/grant this year because my parents offered to pay for my accommodation so just applied for the basic maintenance loan.

Will I not receive the bursary for my PGCE because of this?
Reply 1
Bursaries are not means tested - they depend on your degree classification and what you are training to teach (not your degree subject).

You also need to be eligible for student support, so I assume you have already got confirmation for your tuition fee loan?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Farseer
Bursaries are not means tested - they depend on your degree classification and what you are training to teach (not your degree subject).

You also need to be eligible for student support, so I assume you have already got confirmation for your tuition fee loan?

Oh sweet, thank you! That's the answer I've been looking for.

Yeah, my student finance has been confirmed.
Reply 3
Original post by Samus2
Oh sweet, thank you! That's the answer I've been looking for.

Yeah, my student finance has been confirmed.

Very welcome.
Sorry to bring this thread back, but which body gives the teaching bursaries?

I've not heard from anyone regarding the £20k bursary at all from SF or my university, and I start my PGCE on the 4th September?
I graduated with First Class Honors in BSc Mathematics so was kinda hoping to get it.

I have applied and received confirmed for my student finance application.

Thanks!
Reply 5
Original post by Rikesh Punja

I've not heard from anyone regarding the £20k bursary at all from SF or my university, and I start my PGCE on the 4th September?
I graduated with First Class Honors in BSc Mathematics so was kinda hoping to get it.

Thanks!

I received a letter from my training provider a week or so ago about my bursary, however you may not find out until you start in September. The first payment won't be made until the end of the month at the earliest so you've got time to get it sorted.
Reply 6

Thanks!

It's the department of education as far as I'm aware.
I had to fill in some forms and send them to my university. Once you've physically registered at the university I believe they arrange the bursary payments with you

Thanks!

It's too late now but you could have obtained a scholarship and this would have given you an extra £5,000.
Last year I got given a form for bank details during the first day at uni. Once they confirm that you're enrolled, the bursary payments will start. We got our first one in October I think.
Yeah I got a form that I had to fill in to provide my bank details. You'll start getting paid the bursary in October, the full amount will be paid monthly over the course of your PGCE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I was hoping someone might be able to help clarify an issue regarding bursary allocation.
I have recently started a PGCE via a university-based course and have found out that my bursary allocation is less than expected. I am training to be a Chemistry teacher and I have a 2.i degree (Biochemistry) and a PhD. DfE had previously stated that I would be eligible for a Tier 1 bursary (£20k for Chemistry) due to my postgraduate degree, however, I have been allocated £12k by the university. I wasn't under the impression that the bursary allocations were on a sliding scale and instead were pre-determined by qualifications as set out by DfE. Is it the university that decides the amount allocated or the government?

Any help people can offer would be appreciated as I will be struggling financially after paying tuition fees if this is the case and may have to re-think my options.

Thanks
Original post by patbrown86
Hi,

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I was hoping someone might be able to help clarify an issue regarding bursary allocation.
I have recently started a PGCE via a university-based course and have found out that my bursary allocation is less than expected. I am training to be a Chemistry teacher and I have a 2.i degree (Biochemistry) and a PhD. DfE had previously stated that I would be eligible for a Tier 1 bursary (£20k for Chemistry) due to my postgraduate degree, however, I have been allocated £12k by the university. I wasn't under the impression that the bursary allocations were on a sliding scale and instead were pre-determined by qualifications as set out by DfE. Is it the university that decides the amount allocated or the government?

Any help people can offer would be appreciated as I will be struggling financially after paying tuition fees if this is the case and may have to re-think my options.

Thanks

They are determined by your qualifications, so you need to speak to somebody at your uni to sort this out.
If you are struggling then I would apply for the student tuition fee loan to help you out.
Original post by patbrown86
Hi,

Thanks

That's absolutely NOT ON!

You need to speak to your uni about this.

If I was in your situation, i'd be fuming! 8K is a BIG difference!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending