The Student Room Group

CBT or Teaching?? HELP!!

I have wanted to teach from a very young age and love working in schools, so after my degree I applied for the school direct but the maths exams have always been a barrier for me. I am good at Psychology and love helping people so decided to apply for a Post graduate diploma in CBT instead and I have received an unconditional offer! but I'm now torn between both Careers! the Salary as a Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapist is of course very attractive but it just seems like such a heavy, intense and depressing job that will take over my life? does anyone do this as a career? or know anyone who does? part of me wants to just keep trying with the maths and do Primary/Early years teaching but there are also a lot of people leaving this career too due to the demands, wages, and paperwork etc.. Can anyone PLEASE shed some light on either of these two careers for me?

Is CBT really that heavy and stressful? Is the paperwork in Teaching really that bad? I am very much a family person who does not want a job that is going to take up all of my time (whatever the wage) I've struggled for years with my maths and repeated it 4 times now, always missing the 'C' by a few marks and the new QTS skills tests aren't helping either.. (i've passed the literacy first go but not the numeracy as yet!)

so I'm wondering whether to just save my sanity and try out the CBT? Its so frustrating because Maths is my only barrier to teaching so its really hard for me to get on but I feel I would love the job, then CBT I can sale onto with my other grades but may hate the job.. :frown:

If anyone has any info on working as a Cognitive behavioural Psychotherapist, or high intensity in Iapt please share some info! or equally any teachers that have any comments I would REALLY appreciate them!

I have a week to make a decision as I have to sort my Postgraduate loan :confused::confused::confused: xxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending