The Student Room Group

bad AS result for top unis

I just got my AS result and not so satisfied with it
Math : A ( C1-A C2-A C3-B??? )
Further Math : A (M1-A M2-A S1-C)
Economics : B ( Unit 1-C Unit 2-A )
Chemistry : C ( Unit 1-A Unit 2-D??? Practical Unit 3-C )
I'm quite confused now because I don't know what I need to do to keep up with my dream of studying in some top Unis like LSE and UCL
I know I should have studied earlier and harder last year and processed better in those subjects
I really want to study in LSE with course like Business Mathematics and Statistics which is requiring AAA with A in Chemistry that I read on their website ( I actually want to study Mathematics and Economics but I think those scores would let me down because of very competitive applicants there )
I think those overall grades are not good enough for LSE but do I have a chance if I keep continuing those 4 subjects to A2 and retaking Economics unit 1,Chemistry Unit 2 and Statistics 1 to push my grades up?
By the way,I also don't know what teachers had predicted me but I guess they might be not so high.
I'm still considering to drop chemistry but I could retake an unit to get A overall in the end.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

anyone?
well i've got AABB...and i WAS thinking of applying to LSE or UCL
Original post by Trinh Hong Khanh
I'm quite confused now because I don't know what I need to do to keep up with my dream of studying in some top Unis like LSE and UCL
I know I should have studied earlier and harder last year and processed better in those subjects
I really want to study in LSE with course like Business Mathematics and Statistics which is requiring AAA with A in Chemistry that I read on their website ( I actually want to study Mathematics and Economics but I think those scores would let me down because of very competitive applicants there )
I think those overall grades are not good enough for LSE but do I have a chance if I keep continuing those 4 subjects to A2 and retaking Economics unit 1,Chemistry Unit 2 and Statistics 1 to push my grades up?
By the way,I also don't know what teachers had predicted me but I guess they might be not so high.
I'm still considering to drop chemistry but I could retake an unit to get A overall in the end.

You are not going to get into LSE:

'Competition for places at the School is intense, so it is important that you achieve consistently high grades throughout both years of your A level (or equivalent) studies. Whilst grades can be improved by re-sitting individual modules, we prefer students who have achieved high grades in their AS and A2 examinations at their first attempt.'

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howtoapply/lseentryrequirements.aspx

The bold is a polite way of saying that they have thousands of applicants who don't need to resit and they will take those people; they have no reason to be nice to you about it and let you off. Give up on LSE.
Original post by Pectorac
You are not going to get into LSE:

'Competition for places at the School is intense, so it is important that you achieve consistently high grades throughout both years of your A level (or equivalent) studies. Whilst grades can be improved by re-sitting individual modules, we prefer students who have achieved high grades in their AS and A2 examinations at their first attempt.'

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howtoapply/lseentryrequirements.aspx

The bold is a polite way of saying that they have thousands of applicants who don't need to resit and they will take those people; they have no reason to be nice to you about it and let you off. Give up on LSE.

one of my friend retook his C1,C2,S1 last year and got accepted to LSE to do management with his AS Grade AAA for Math,Further Math,Economics
one of my friend retook his C1,C2,S1 last year and got accepted to LSE to do management with his AS Grade AAA for Math,Further Math,Economics

That's not the same as resitting exams from three different subjects, as well as having a D in a chemistry unit you need to get a an A in.
That's not the same as resitting exams from three different subjects, as well as having a D in a chemistry unit you need to get a an A in.

He got C in Accounting and then dropped it and continued with 3 other As
Reply 7

Hello. First of all, I was in your position pretty much exactly after sitting my AS exams. I had gotten AABC, although went onto to retake and got straight A's. I received offers from Durham and Imperial College (both with entry requirements similar to LSE and UCL) still, after doing a couple things. I'm now hopefully off to do Maths at Durham with A*A*A in A2s and A in AS.

Also, you said you wanted to study Mathematics and Economics, but you really want to go to LSE. Have you actually been to LSE open days, and experienced what it's like there? Make sure that you're not just chasing a university for it's prestige, and that you're doing the course you want to do. If you think maths & econ is too much, maybe begin working earlier in the year and really dedicate yourself to your studies.

Have a chat with your teachers about UCAS predicitons as soon as possible. If you had been working at an A or High A grade throughout the year, bring that up, and say that you plan on retaking those exams. Make a good impression at the start of A2 by scoring very highly in their tests, really study for them, and this will help your case for A/A* predictions.

I checked the LSE website for Business Mathematics and Statistics, and it doesn't mention needing an A in chemistry, only:

"Normally Required: A level: grades A A A, one of which must be Mathematics."

If chemistry is proving problematic, and you don't need it, I recommend dropping it. If you have a C in your dropped AS subject, that is absolutely fine for most universities, including Imperial and Durham (or else I wouldn't have received an offer!).

AAB for subjects you're doing at A2 with good predictions and a good reference can still get you into those top universities, as long as you amend the B in a retake, and perform very well in your A2s.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Colroyd
Hello. First of all, I was in your position pretty much exactly after sitting my AS exams. I had gotten AABC, although went onto to retake and got straight A's. I received offers from Durham and Imperial College (both with entry requirements similar to LSE and UCL) still, after doing a couple things. I'm now hopefully off to do Maths at Durham with A*A*A in A2s and A in AS.

Also, you said you wanted to study Mathematics and Economics, but you really want to go to LSE. Have you actually been to LSE open days, and experienced what it's like there? Make sure that you're not just chasing a university for it's prestige, and that you're doing the course you want to do. If you think maths & econ is too much, maybe begin working earlier in the year and really dedicate yourself to your studies.

Have a chat with your teachers about UCAS predicitons as soon as possible. If you had been working at an A or High A grade throughout the year, bring that up, and say that you plan on retaking those exams. Make a good impression at the start of A2 by scoring very highly in their tests, really study for them, and this will help your case for A/A* predictions.

I checked the LSE website for Business Mathematics and Statistics, and it doesn't mention needing an A in chemistry, only:

"Normally Required: A level: grades A A A, one of which must be Mathematics."

If chemistry is proving problematic, and you don't need it, I recommend dropping it. If you have a C in your dropped AS subject, that is absolutely fine for most universities, including Imperial and Durham (or else I wouldn't have received an offer!).

AAB for subjects you're doing at A2 with good predictions and a good reference can still get you into those top universities, as long as you amend the B in a retake, and perform very well in your A2s.

Thank you so much for your advice :smile:
although I could have done better in Economics and Chemistry to get straight A's,I felt so sad after getting the results.

Anyway,I am very fond of learning chemistry or science subject but those scores in Chemistry might actually kick me off choices.

I am still considering if I could drop or keep what subjects to A2 to pay a lot attention to them like working much harder than the first year.

By the way,can I ask for what subject u studied at your AS and your predictions as well?

The reason could be that I don't actually see so many people can get in some top Unis with quite avarage grades at AS.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Thank you so much for your advice :smile:
although I could have done better in Economics and Chemistry to get straight A's,I felt so sad after getting the results.

Anyway,I am very fond of learning chemistry or science subject but those scores in Chemistry might actually kick me off choices.

I am still considering if I could drop or keep what subjects to A2 to pay a lot attention to them like working much harder than the first year.

By the way,can I ask for what subject u studied in your AS and your predictions as well?

The reason could be that I don't actually see so many people can get in some top Unis with quite avarage grades in AS.

Sure. I originally studied Mathematics, English Literature, Biology and Graphic Design. I scored very high As in English Lit and Biology, and then retook my maths to score very High As (90%+). After screwing up my A2s, I took a year out, achieved the A*A*A in maths/english lit/biology, and also a high A in a Further Maths AS.

Not getting the best grades in AS isn't the end of the world! Universities usually look primarily at your "three most relevant subjects", which is usually the 3 you decide to take at A2. So AAB was fine, especially considering I was on track for high As in all of them at AS, and informed the university I would be retaking the B. I actually wanted to study biology at the time, but in the last year I decided I really wanted to do maths, and have now dedicated myself to it :smile:

And while, yes, you may enjoy Chemistry but if the course your applying to doesn't require it, it's a matter of weighing up: on one end, you do a subject you enjoy for a year. On the other end, it's not needed and could hinder your application, possibly preventing you getting the course you want.

edit: My predictions were A* (biology), A* (english lit), A (maths) when I got the offer from Imperial and Durham. This year, my predictions were A*A*A*A.
(edited 9 years ago)
I got AAAC and got rejected for maths & econ, I'd opt for a different subject as LSE, oh and your modules for maths and further don't make sense.
Original post by Colroyd
Sure. I originally studied Mathematics, English Literature, Biology and Graphic Design. I scored very high As in English Lit and Biology, and then retook my maths to score very High As (90%+). After screwing up my A2s, I took a year out, achieved the A*A*A in maths/english lit/biology, and also a high A in a Further Maths AS.

Not getting the best grades in AS isn't the end of the world! Universities usually look primarily at your "three most relevant subjects", which is usually the 3 you decide to take at A2. So AAB was fine, especially considering I was on track for high As in all of them at AS, and informed the university I would be retaking the B. I actually wanted to study biology at the time, but in the last year I decided I really wanted to do maths, and have now dedicated myself to it :smile:

And while, yes, you may enjoy Chemistry but if the course your applying to doesn't require it, it's a matter of weighing up: on one end, you do a subject you enjoy for a year. On the other end, it's not needed and could hinder your application, possibly preventing you getting the course you want.

sure,I got high A's in C1,C2,M1,M2 but I did not know what had happened in my C3 which I thought it should have been above 90 but turned out to be 78

Should I remark it because I think It is the worst case to retake a module of math?
Reply 12
sure,I got high A's in C1,C2,M1,M2 but I did not know what had happened in my C3 which I thought it should have been above 90 but turned out to be 78

Should I remark it because I think It is the worst case to retake a module of math?

78 UMS? That's 2 off an A. However, if you want the A* in maths, you're going to need to preform higher than that, unless you get 100% in C4 and C3 gets bumped up to an A.

You could remark it if you like. However, maths grades are fairly static, and in my experience only change by 1-2 marks, but usually they don't change at all. While it could get you the A in that paper if it goes up, you'll 100% have to retake it anyway if you want the A*.
You haven't done FP1 so you don't actually have an AS in further maths. You have taken C3 for no reason because that's an A2 module and you can't use it for AS maths. You can't just pick 6 maths modules of your own choosing and turn them into AS-levels; you need to follow the guidelines of which units you can use to form a qualification.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Colroyd
78 UMS? That's 2 off an A. However, if you want the A* in maths, you're going to need to preform higher than that, unless you get 100% in C4 and C3 gets bumped up to an A.

You could remark it if you like. However, maths grades are fairly static, and in my experience only change by 1-2 marks, but usually they don't change at all. While it could get you the A in that paper if it goes up, you'll 100% have to retake it anyway if you want the A*.

I want to get A* in Math so 78 in C3 will destroy my aim and it is now 2 marks off an A.

When you submit your module scores to UCAS,a B in one module of math could mean quite badly
Reply 15
I want to get A* in Math so 78 in C3 will destroy my aim and it is now 2 marks off an A.

When you submit your module scores to UCAS,a B in one module of math could mean quite badly

Yeah, I suppose. That's only if you need to put down your module scores. If I remember correctly (it's been since September), you don't have to put down your individual module scores, just what you achieved for that AS. Our head of sixth form explicitly said only to put down your module scores (since if you put down one, you're pretty much going to need to put down them all for consistency) if you received As in every single module. Might just be our sixth form though.

Speak to your head of sixth/college or whoever you deem appropriate, and ask them if it's necessary to write individual module scores. You'll probably find it isn't :P

But if it makes you feel better to have an A in C3 already secured, go ahead. Worst that could happen is it goes down and you retake anyway. I personally would, but that's because I'm a mark-scrounger :P
Original post by Colroyd
Yeah, I suppose. That's only if you need to put down your module scores. If I remember correctly (it's been since September), you don't have to put down your individual module scores, just what you achieved for that AS. Our head of sixth form explicitly said only to put down your module scores (since if you put down one, you're pretty much going to need to put down them all for consistency) if you received As in every single module. Might just be our sixth form though.

Speak to your head of sixth/college or whoever you deem appropriate, and ask them if it's necessary to write individual module scores. You'll probably find it isn't :P

But if it makes you feel better to have an A in C3 already secured, go ahead. Worst that could happen is it goes down and you retake anyway. I personally would, but that's because I'm a mark-scrounger :P

Is that possible to retake like 5 modules ?
I asked someone and he said the fact that it is too much for LSE
I
Reply 17
Is that possible to retake like 5 modules ?
I asked someone and he said the fact that it is too much for LSE
I

Do you really need to retake 5? Looking at your module grades, if you drop chemistry the only one you need to retake is Economics unit 2, and C3. You could also retake your chem unit 2 even if you're dropping chemistry, just to make your application look better, but it's not necessary unless LSE requires a certain grade in your AS dropped module or if you want more of a clean sheet.

I redid 3 of my exams and I got an offer from Imperial, with the same grades as you, so I'm sure it's possible!

So at max you're retaking econ unit 2, c3 and chem unit 2 but that's completely up to you. You don't need to retake S1. I got an A* in mathematics while having a C in S1 from my AS year, it ALL depends on you getting 90% average in c3 and c4, or for further maths having 90% shared across your A2 units I believe. Besides, not many people do C3 in AS at all, so I'm sure universities would understand you retaking that one.

Just make sure your predictions are good for next year, so really try for the tests at the start of the year etc and debate your case with teachers if need be.
(edited 9 years ago)

Why do you bother...

You've had your chance and it is now gone

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Colroyd
Do you really need to retake 5? Looking at your module grades, if you drop chemistry the only one you need to retake is Economics unit 2, and C3. You could also retake your chem unit 2 even if you're dropping chemistry, just to make your application look better, but it's not necessary unless LSE requires a certain grade in your AS dropped module or if you want more of a clean sheet.

I redid 3 of my exams and I got an offer from Imperial, with the same grades as you, so I'm sure it's possible!

So at max you're retaking econ unit 2, c3 and chem unit 2 but that's completely up to you. You don't need to retake S1. I got an A* in mathematics while having a C in S1 from my AS year, it ALL depends on you getting 90% average in c3 and c4, or for further maths having 90% shared across your A2 units I believe. Besides, not many people do C3 in AS at all, so I'm sure universities would understand you retaking that one.

Just make sure your predictions are good for next year, so really try for the tests at the start of the year etc and debate your case with teachers if need be.

Really you got C for one module of Further Math and then still submitted to UCAS? Did you take Further Math as a subject originally at AS?

I will retake Economics unit 1,C3 for aiming A*,S1,Chemistry unit 2 and unit 3 unless I drop Chemistry at A2 ( I am still considering and have not decided yet )

I've been finding out some information about Warwick and I think It is also a good choice although I am still quite afraid of my bad AS results not giving me chances

By the way, you told me you got AABC at AS,did the teachers give you good predictions? I thought Imperial College is also one of the most competitive unis in the UK? What course are you in?

Quick Reply

Latest