The Student Room Group

is it worth retaking a level secong time?

I've already retaken As and in A2 I came out with CDD and I know I can improve them a lot. So is there a point in retaking A2?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jay.ss
I've already retaken As and in A2 I came out with CDD and I know I can improve them a lot. So is there a point in retaking A2?

Well, you seem to have persuaded yourself that it will improve so it's your call. However, some universities are very unhappy with resits and you need to look at the small print.
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Well, you seem to have persuaded yourself that it will improve so it's your call. However, some universities are very unhappy with resits and you need to look at the small print.

Shall I do a personal A level course. And do you think universities like Surrey, aston or newcastle mind retaking?
Original post by jay.ss
Shall I do a personal A level course. And do you think universities like Surrey, aston or newcastle mind retaking?

If you mean taking it as a private candidate, then that's a good option if you do something else profitable with your time. As for those universities, you need to check on their websites. I am not aware that they are concerned but policies change all the time.
Reply 4
If you know for sure that you can improve, then why not?
Reply 5
Original post by tg0896
If you know for sure that you can improve, then why not?

I know but it would be my second time retaking the year. That's the problem.
Original post by jay.ss

I redid my AS levels and Aston didn't bat an eyelid at my application, now I work for them, you'll be fine, it's only your final grades that matter.
Reply 7
Original post by Aston University
I redid my AS levels and Aston didn't bat an eyelid at my application, now I work for them, you'll be fine, it's only your final grades that matter.

even if the retake is the second time?
Reply 8
I did my A-Levels over 4 years and as long as it's not the very best unis such as oxbridge, they normally don't mind as long as they see marked improvement.

I worked while doing my 4th year which would be worthwhile doing to earn some cash for uni, if you can manage the workload
Original post by jay.ss
even if the retake is the second time?

I've only ever seen anyone care about the number of retakes you have when it's associated to a five year medical course. I've never heard it being an Aston policy, so unless you plan to apply to the medical school opening in 2017 it shouldn't effect you.
Reply 10
I've only ever seen anyone care about the number of retakes you have when it's associated to a five year medical course. I've never heard it being an Aston policy, so unless you plan to apply to the medical school opening in 2017 it shouldn't effect you.

thank you very much
Reply 11
Original post by 104975
I did my A-Levels over 4 years and as long as it's not the very best unis such as oxbridge, they normally don't mind as long as they see marked improvement.

I worked while doing my 4th year which would be worthwhile doing to earn some cash for uni, if you can manage the workload

so did you go to the school or did you do it as a private candidate?
Reply 12
Original post by jay.ss
so did you go to the school or did you do it as a private candidate?
2 years at school then 2 years private candidate
I just retook some A Level exams (Studying on my own) after getting BCD after sixth form. Applied to UEA, who said they didn't discriminate against people retaking, and they gave me my old offer. Achieved ABB (Few marks from AAB) and now I'm going there in September. For me it was a case of knowing that I hadn't put in the right amount of effort in the first two years and knowing that I should've done much better. I worked hard and I got to where I wanted to go in the first place, which will happen to you if you do the same.
Reply 14
I've applied for a foundation course, so is it worth doing a retake or a foundation course?
Original post by 104975

Hi, i was wondering if you took two gap years and how did you achieve really great grades and did you go to a different college cause I'm in the same position as you. please help

he doesn't want to go to aston
Original post by Pussy Galore
he doesn't want to go to aston

That's fine, i was just giving friendly advice based on both our entrance policy and my previous experience, take it or leave it.
That's fine, i was just giving friendly advice based on both our entrance policy and my previous experience, take it or leave it.

left
Reply 19
It wasn't a problem for me. I did reasonably well in my AS and average in my A2. I got all 5 offers first time with the highest offer being AAA, however I didn't meet them after A2. I started at my insurance choice on a 'practical and safe' course and I didn't really enjoy it, so I plucked up the courage and said that I was gonna drop out and get my head down for some resits. I got all 5 offers again, the highest being AAB, and now that's where I'm going after somehow getting A*/B/C! I wouldn't worry too much about it, as long as you're committed to doing well and getting your head down, I would say go for it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending