The Student Room Group

AS Results Help!

I went to collect my results today and they were:

Biology - B
Chemistry - A
Government and Politics - B (a and b in the exams)
History - C (a and d in the exams)

The C in History came as a shock as I am predicted an A and I have been getting so all year. My teacher told me to get the d script back and get it remarked as she thinks it should be higher. I also want to do the same with the b in Government and Politics, as I was predicted an A and have been getting so all year, like in the History.

I went to see my head of year as I still want to drop Chemistry (I want to study Law at uni and I am finding the A2 work very hard), but everyone is telling me to drop History, even though I would find it more helpful for uni and the C was very unexpected. I need to get A*AA-AAB for the unis I really want to go to, so my A2 predicted grades are very important.

I would really appreciate any advice, and I am wondering if it is possible to get an A*, say in Government and Politics, if I got a high B at AS or get an A in History if my C doesn't move up when it is remarked. Also, if I have to resit the d in History, would this be shown to universities when I apply so they can take it into account?

Finally, would you recommend getting the b in Government and Politics remarked or should I resit it or just leave it as it is?

Thanks!
Hi :smile:
First of all, although you may be disappointed with your grades they're still very very good!!!!
I am in a very similar position with
A in English lit
B's in History, French and Critical Thinking
but a D in Politics
I was predicted straight As and got all As in my politics mocks so I have asked for priority remarks in Politics

Personally I am going to talk my teachers about remarking history because the remark requests do not need to be given in until halfway through September (the 18th I think)

To get an A* you need 80% overall with 90% in your A2s so even with a C it is still possible (but very difficult to get an A*)

You could always talk to your teachers about predicted grades before deciding what you want to do :smile:

Good luck!!
Reply 2
What board do you do for History and Politics? It's very strange how the people who were predicted the high grades are achieving the lower ones! Although both my Politics results were lower than expected I'm only going to remark the one as I don't think it's possible for my a to increase whereas the b would be more likely.

Would you recommend getting a priority remark in my case for History? I was planning on doing the standard but personally the sooner it comes through the better, because when I spoke to my teacher she said that usually they can only predict one grade higher for History (unsure if this is the same for Politics but I may be able to convince my teacher for an A* prediction if I plan to resit if my remark doesn't work) but she said in my case they may be able to predict two above just because she thinks I should have got higher. I will resit the exams anyway next year if I have to but hopefully the remarks will work out.

Also, were you planning on continuing with English Lit? Because I achieved an A in Chemistry though that is the one I really want to drop, so although I may be able to get an A* with my B in Politics if it doesn't change I keep wondering if it would be easier to continue the Chemistry for the A*, because that's what everyone keeps telling me to do! I think I'd rather work harder for my Politics and History than continue the Chemistry but I'm just so confused with it all.

Thank you for your help and good luck to you too! :smile:
Hi guys i need some help too!!!

I got my AS results and got:

Biology - B (A and C in the exam and 2 ums of an A) (Predicted A for A2)
Economics - C (A and C in the exams, very high C however) (Predicted A for A2)
Physics - D (C and D in the exams)
Maths - E (but I'm dropping as the course I'm applying for only requires a pass in AS level maths)

I don't know what to do about my third A level as I did really bad in physics so should I retake physics (both units) or take up a whole new a level which is slightly easier and do a fast track in one year? Please help!!
This could be awkward but do you go to CCCS 6th Form?

I do Edexcel Politics, OCR History

I am going to continue English because it is my best subject and what I want to do at uni :smile:

For Chemistry it is totally your choice but if you drop it it does look good on a UCAS application because when you apply you can decide whether or not to declare your AS modules but you have to state the grade of the one you want to drop! However, if you do decide to keep chem then it may be easier to get a good grade with your current foundations.

Personally, I would suggest doing remarks rather than resits as resits are often frowned upon by unis but if you feel a particular exam went badly then it is totally your choice.

For politics maybe ask for your script back (pay extra for the photocopy one) then you can show your teacher and get their opinion. If you get the original back you cannot request a remark :smile:

Hope some of that was useful :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by fskilloran
This could be awkward but do you go to CCCS 6th Form?

I do Edexcel Politics, OCR History

I am going to continue English because it is my best subject and what I want to do at uni :smile:

For Chemistry it is totally your choice but if you drop it it does look good on a UCAS application because when you apply you can decide whether or not to declare your AS modules but you have to state the grade of the one you want to drop! However, if you do decide to keep chem then it may be easier to get a good grade with your current foundations.

Personally, I would suggest doing remarks rather than resits as resits are often frowned upon by unis but if you feel a particular exam went badly then it is totally your choice.

For politics maybe ask for your script back (pay extra for the photocopy one) then you can show your teacher and get their opinion. If you get the original back you cannot request a remark :smile:

Hope some of that was useful :smile:

Yep and I think I sit next to you in Politics! :wink:

Ah yeah at least you get to continue with your A, hopefully my remarks will come through though I think I may just do standard remarks because I'll probably continue with the History and Politics anyway. I think if I end up resitting it will be the History one but fingers crossed I won't have to.

I really hope your Politics remark comes through (and well done for your French!) and thanks for your help!:smile:

Original post by gameofthrones1

Maths - E (but I'm dropping as the course I'm applying for only requires a pass in AS level maths)

I don't know what to do about my third A level as I did really bad in physics so should I retake physics (both units) or take up a whole new a level which is slightly easier and do a fast track in one year? Please help!!

I think that taking up a whole new A Level would be a lot of hard work, and you have to consider whether the Physics would be more beneficial for you after A2. I'd say consider resitting or requesting a remark for the D if you think you should have done better and see what your teachers will predict you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by gameofthrones1

Personally I wouldn't take a new A level because it just seems to be extremely difficult and for A2s you need to spend a lot of time on all of your subjects. It is entirely up to you but you should probably talk to your teachers as well. Perhaps e-mail the universities you want to apply to to get their advice? Generally resits are seen as a waste of time for unis but not for employers, I resat a Geography unit in GCSE and got the exact same mark so I don't think that it is always worth it as more often than not it just causes more stress :smile: good luck! What do you want to study in the future?
Original post by maiisiie08
Yep and I think I sit next to you in Politics! :wink:

Ah yeah at least you get to continue with your A, hopefully my remarks will come through though I think I may just do standard remarks because I'll probably continue with the History and Politics anyway. I think if I end up resitting it will be the History one but fingers crossed I won't have to.

I really hope your Politics remark comes through (and well done for your French!) and thanks for your help! :smile:

HI! That is really really weird :P I won't see you in Politics anymore though :frown: Well done on Chemistry and Biology!!!

Priority remarks normally come back within 18 days and standard come back within 30 (for Edexcel at least, not sure about other exam boards) but I know people that have already got their remarks back for priority and the staff in the school's exam office said that they normally come back within a week :smile:

You might as well do what you want to because you're more likely to spend more time revising for the subjects that you actually enjoy next year :smile:
Reply 8
HI! That is really really weird :P I won't see you in Politics anymore though :frown: Well done on Chemistry and Biology!!!

Priority remarks normally come back within 18 days and standard come back within 30 (for Edexcel at least, not sure about other exam boards) but I know people that have already got their remarks back for priority and the staff in the school's exam office said that they normally come back within a week :smile:

You might as well do what you want to because you're more likely to spend more time revising for the subjects that you actually enjoy next year :smile:

Oh no, I'll miss you in Politics :frown:

Oh okay so hopefully they'll come back quite quickly, do you know if their marks improved or not? Hopefully most of the remark requests will this year.

And yeah that's true, especially as the Chemistry really isn't helpful for Law and I can't stand it. Thank you! :smile:
Oh no, I'll miss you in Politics :frown:

Oh okay so hopefully they'll come back quite quickly, do you know if their marks improved or not? Hopefully most of the remark requests will this year.

And yeah that's true, especially as the Chemistry really isn't helpful for Law and I can't stand it. Thank you! :smile:

Apparently Edexcel has messed up big time so there is hope for our politics! I have heard of quite a few people whose grades have gone up- also if your grade changes you get a refund so that is a benefit :smile:
Reply 10
Apparently Edexcel has messed up big time so there is hope for our politics! I have heard of quite a few people whose grades have gone up- also if your grade changes you get a refund so that is a benefit :smile:

Oh good, fingers crossed then! And good because I'm gonna have to pay about £80 for remarks so hopefully they'll improve! :smile:
Oh good, fingers crossed then! And good because I'm gonna have to pay about £80 for remarks so hopefully they'll improve! :smile:

I know right!! I don't know whether or not to get my history remarked because I am 2 off of an A but none of my teachers are in the country :frown:

I don't know if you've already done this but maybe you could e-mail the unis you're considering. I only got 1 reply but it was really helpful :smile:
Reply 12
I know right!! I don't know whether or not to get my history remarked because I am 2 off of an A but none of my teachers are in the country :frown:

I don't know if you've already done this but maybe you could e-mail the unis you're considering. I only got 1 reply but it was really helpful :smile:

Maybe you could wait and do a standard remark once we start in September cause then your teachers will be back. Request the script possibly and then they can look through it, I would anyway because 2 UMS is so close! :smile:

I might do that actually because I want to know whether they'd be willing to accept resits if I have to do them...
Maybe you could wait and do a standard remark once we start in September cause then your teachers will be back. Request the script possibly and then they can look through it, I would anyway because 2 UMS is so close! :smile:

I might do that actually because I want to know whether they'd be willing to accept resits if I have to do them...

Sounds like a plan, thanks for everything! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest