The Student Room Group

Dilemma- Please help!

Hi everyone,

I missed my offer for Birmingham today but have been lucky enough to receive offers through clearing for Swansea and Essex (for IR). It's also likely I will be getting offers from NTU and Keele based on what they said.

But if we stick to Swansea and Essex, where would you recommend I go? I have 48 hours to reply to Swansea's offers therefore don't have the time to visit either university. Anything anyone can tell me is hugely appreciated, this is a big decision for me, and both universities appeal.
Unfortunately, that's not a decision an advisor can make! The best thing to do is envisage living in both locations. Which do you think you will prefer? What do the courses look like?

Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by mddub39
Hi everyone,

I missed my offer for Birmingham today but have been lucky enough to receive offers through clearing for Swansea and Essex (for IR). It's also likely I will be getting offers from NTU and Keele based on what they said.

But if we stick to Swansea and Essex, where would you recommend I go? I have 48 hours to reply to Swansea's offers therefore don't have the time to visit either university. Anything anyone can tell me is hugely appreciated, this is a big decision for me, and both universities appeal.

This is a personal decision and not really one we can make for you. Check out the course structures, how does the location sound etc and see if one appeals more than the other. It may also be a good idea to check out both the Essex University and Keele University forums to see how current/recent students feel about the places.
Original post by mddub39
Hi everyone,

Have you had a look at our uni profiles? There's info on all of those unis here. You could also ask some current students in our Essex and Swansea forums :smile:
If you want to live in Birmingham i would consider looking at our courses, we are smack bang in the middle of the city centre and have a good number of clearing spots. Along with being in the top 20 for both employment and student satisfaction, find our clearing course list here.
Reply 5
Original post by mddub39
Hi everyone,

Look online for a much info as you can find. Talk to former students on there respective forums on here if you can. Even ring up again and ask questions of them. On the clearing hotline i worked on we encouraged people to do that
Reply 6
Thank you everyone, I was just wondering if anyone could tell me advantages of life in either place. I live in Bournemouth, and it's a big move either way, I want to make the right one.

I realize Essex is higher ranked but I prefer the look of Swansea's course and the place, but would it be naive to choose Swansea based on that if Essex has a higher reputation?
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi my name Charlotte, I'm a student ambassador for University of Wales, Trinity Saint David. If there anything questions you have in regards to Swansea and the area please don't hesitate to contact me
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by University of Wales Trinity Saint David
Hi my name Charlotte, I'm a student ambassador for University of Wales, Trinity Saint David. If there anything questions you have in regards to Swansea and the area please don't hesitate to contact me via facebook or twitter Charlotte_Uwtsd :smile:

Thank you. What is Swansea like to live in as a student? Is the area affordable? Is it fun, in terms of nights out and just general things to do? I have never been to Wales.
Hi,

Swansea as destination is a lively and fun area to live. We are a vibrant city centre located close to a sweeping coast line. Night life is fun and exciting with many bars and restaurants to go to. Living in Swansea is extremely cost effective and we are the 3rd safest city in the UK to study in.

Thanks
John
Reply 10
Come and have a look at Swansea if you can. Open Afternoons run 11.00am to 4.00pm every day 15th - 22nd August. Details of them are on the website. It's only by visiting the uni/city that you get a real feel for where will suit you to live for 3 or 4 years. I used to live next to Essex Uni, and it's a great place, as is Colchester nearby, but it's a very different location, though they are both campuses.
Original post by mddub39
Thank you. What is Swansea like to live in as a student? Is the area affordable? Is it fun, in terms of nights out and just general things to do? I have never been to Wales.

Hello :smile:

I'm Becky, ambassador at Swansea Metropolitan University of Wales, Trinity Saint David. If you have a look at our twitter accounts, we've been busy posting photos and info about @UWTSD and the area for a few weeks - just search for us on twitter or facebook "_UWTSD".

What uni were you looking at, was it Swansea Metropolitan University of Wales, Trinity Saint David, or Swansea University? If you aren't sure, which courses were you interested in studying?

I've just completed my first year of an MA in Contemporary Dialogues at Swansea Metropolitan UWTSD, after graduating with a BA in Fine Art in 2013. I've always lived in Swansea, and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in the UK! Swansea nightlife is great - google search for the infamous 'Wind Street' in Swansea - and it's also cheap to eat out. The beach and the town centre are right next to each other, with campuses dotted not too far away (some campuses are right in the town centre). What are your interests?

Hope I can be of some help!
Becky

@Becky_UWTSD
Reply 12
Original post by mddub39
Hi everyone,

Recommend Swansea... higher ranking, Gold TEF great location. Essex prob ok if you like the location. But important you like the course and location.
Original post by mddub39
Hi everyone,

Hey @mddub39,

Congratulations on both offers!! With not being able to visit check out our virtual tour and I'm sure Essex will have one too. Obviously, I'm biased but Swansea is a lovely place to live and it has an awesome community feel so much so loads of our students end up staying here. Plus we've got great beaches and nightlife so you'll get the study/fun balance just right :smile:! If there's anything you need to know specifically let me know and I'll check with departments for you!

Thanks,

Beth :h:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=swansea+wind+street&&view=detail&mid=62C23EC2735FFCEEFB0D62C23EC2735FFCEEFB0D&&FORM=VRDGAR

This is a fairly old student video but will give you a feel for the city. Swansea is a much bigger city than Colchester or Bournemouth and Keele is very rural. It is closer in terms of city to Birmingham than the other but nowhere near the size of Birmingham. Swansea is pretty well known for Wind Street which is similar to Birmingham's Broad Street but smaller. Nottingham is slightly bigger than Swansea but one oft its campuses is some distance away from the city.,

What you will get in Swansea is what you get in most cities. A shopping centre including Debenhams, M&S Next, River Island, Top Shop, Primark, Wicos, WH Smith and many more. It has an Indoor Market which a couple of years ago was voted the UK's best indoor market.

There is a 24 hour Tesco near the bus station where most students shop, a 24 hour McDonalds in the city centre and a 24 hour bus service on most days linking its 2 campuses and the city centre. Other supermarkets include Asda, Sainsbury's, Morrisons and Iceland.

In terms of restaurants Swansea has allsorts including Japanese, Turkish, Thai, Carribbean, Indonesian and South American as well as places like TGI Fridays, Frankie and Bennys, Dennys, ASK, Pizza Express and Five Guys to mention just a few.

As previously mentioned Wind Street is pretty famous and houses these restaurants as well as multiple clubs and pubs including chains such as Walkabout, Pitcher and Piano and Wetherspoons to name a few.

I hope tis helps you but you could catch a train to Southampton change onto the Cardiff train there and connect with the Swansea train there or travel by National Express or Megabus. If you drive Swansea is just off junction 42 of the M4 depending on which campus you will be based.
Original post by University of Wales Trinity Saint David
Hi,

Swansea as destination is a lively and fun area to live. We are a vibrant city centre located close to a sweeping coast line. Night life is fun and exciting with many bars and restaurants to go to. Living in Swansea is extremely cost effective and we are the 3rd safest city in the UK to study in.

Thanks
John

3rd safest and 3rd most affordable! We're lucky to live somewhere that's both so safe while being so affordable, it's a combination you don't see to often :smile:

Jamie
Original post by Swansea University Enquiries
3rd safest and 3rd most affordable! We're lucky to live somewhere that's both so safe while being so affordable, it's a combination you don't see to often :smile:

Jamie

Would you be able to extend the deadline to allow OP to attend one of your open days to see the university and city.
Original post by swanseajack1
Would you be able to extend the deadline to allow OP to attend one of your open days to see the university and city.

An excellent idea!

@mddub39, Please don't feel unable to make an informed decision due to deadlines. Give us a call on 01792 295111 and request a bit more time to allow you the opportunity to come and visit us first - we'll be more than happy to accommodate that. We've got lots of Open Days over the next week to allow you the chance to do so, as mentioned above.

Jamie
This is a 5-year-old thread..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending