The Student Room Group

What to do with A level results (taking gap year)

Hi everyone

I wanted to study Architecture in 2015 after taking a gap year but have done really poorly on my A level results. I got a D* in Photography, B in Spanish (1 mark off an A which I will have remarked) and a D in physics. On the face of it I know D*, B (or A), D are not that bad but I fell way below my predicted grades (D*, A*, B) and architecture courses tend to have higher than average grade requirements.

During my gap year I am working full time in an architects office doing similar tasks to Architectural Assistants and I am hoping that universities will take this into account along with a relevant extended project (that I got a B in).

Would it be worth retaking 2 or 3 modules from Physics? I am aware that it would be a lot of work but at the same time I have read that a lot of universities are not keen on retaking students.

The Universities that I wanted to apply to are:
Sheffield (AAA) this was a long shot and only would have applied if I got my predicted grades. Is it worth applying here or will I be instantly rejected despite work experience and hopefully a good portfolio?

Oxford Brookes (AAB)
Northumbria (AAB)
UWE (300 UCAS points I think?)
Westminster (BBB)

Do you think most of these would instantly reject me or would possibly give conditional offers whereby I have to improve my Physics and Spanish grades. There are very few universities with BBB or below requirements that interest me. As I have said, there seems to higher than average requirements for architecture.

I'm really disappointed because I worked really hard but it seems I just cracked under the pressure.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :smile:
Bump! :biggrin:
Original post by HarryW03
Hi everyone

I wanted to study Architecture in 2015 after taking a gap year but have done really poorly on my A level results. I got a D* in Photography, B in Spanish (1 mark off an A which I will have remarked) and a D in physics. On the face of it I know D*, B (or A), D are not that bad but I fell way below my predicted grades (D*, A*, B) and architecture courses tend to have higher than average grade requirements.

During my gap year I am working full time in an architects office doing similar tasks to Architectural Assistants and I am hoping that universities will take this into account along with a relevant extended project (that I got a B in).

Would it be worth retaking 2 or 3 modules from Physics? I am aware that it would be a lot of work but at the same time I have read that a lot of universities are not keen on retaking students.

Sheffield (AAA) this was a long shot and only would have applied if I got my predicted grades. Is it worth applying here or will I be instantly rejected despite work experience and hopefully a good portfolio?

Oxford Brookes (AAB)
Northumbria (AAB)
Westminster (BBB)

Do you think most of these would instantly reject me or would possibly give conditional offers whereby I have to improve my Physics and Spanish grades. There are very few universities with BBB or below requirements that interest me. As I have said, there seems to higher than average requirements for architecture.

I'm really disappointed because I worked really hard but it seems I just cracked under the pressure.

Hi!

I would call admissions teams across the universities you're interested in when things have calmed down a little bit and ask the question - your grades are still a little way off the entry requirements.

I've had a look at the Westminster architecture course and it is in Clearing this year so you could ask them if they would take you right now with the grades you have should you apply for a place. You could also ask them how they feel about the physics remark - I think on the face of it, it seems sensible to retake to get you up to at least a C to broaden your options, but yes, working full time and retaking will be hard work - but worth it :h:

You need to be be realistic with yourself, especially in terms of cracking under pressure, definitely have a think if architecture is the right area of study and career for you. It's not just a three year course if you want to do part 2 and part 3, its a lot of work and very pressured, especially in terms of finding a role afterwards. You're absolutely doing the right thing in terms of work experience - that should help you make that decision :smile:

Fingers crossed for your remark too.

I hope this helps and good luck with everything!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by HarryW03
Hi everyone

Oxford Brookes (AAB)
Northumbria (AAB)
Westminster (BBB)

Universities have very little discretion on entry requirements (blame the League Tables).

I'd recommend an art foundation course - most of the courses you've mentioned are art-based rather than engineering-based.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending