The Student Room Group

Is it shallow to not date a smoker?

I'm not judgmental, but then I don't like/approve of smokers. I just reckon it's disgusting.

But then there's this girl at uni I like, and I've seen her smoke and I'm turned off her a bit now. But is this being too shallow?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not judgmental, but then I don't like/approve of smokers. I just reckon it's disgusting.

But then there's this girl at uni I like, and I've seen her smoke and I'm turned off her a bit now. But is this being too shallow?

I don't think it's shallow at all. I'm a smoker, but I could understand why someone wouldn't want to date someone who smokes. I wouldn't date someone who takes drugs, and I wouldn't date anyone religious. I'm not shallow, I just don't agree with these things.
Reply 2

No it's not shallow at all. I personally wouldn't date a smoker too. Why harm your health even more by being around that person?
I actually do think it is a bit shallow. While yeah you may not agree with it, to say it is disgusting is taking things pretty far in my opinion is if you have a real problem with it.

Would you seriously turn someone down who you are attracted to due to a little thing like that?

It is such a shame that people would turn someone down when they could be perfect for them personality wise or physically. Everyone has habits and things that others don't like... A relationship isn't based on having to have a 100% agreement on everything you say and do. lol
Reply 4
I wouldn't date a smoker. Too expensive, hate the way smokey breath tastes and smells, wouldn't want them smoking in my house etc etc ...
Reply 5
I actually do think it is a bit shallow. While yeah you may not agree with it, to say it is disgusting is taking things pretty far in my opinion is if you have a real problem with it.

Would you seriously turn someone down who you are attracted to due to a little thing like that?

It is such a shame that people would turn someone down when they could be perfect for them personality wise or physically. Everyone has habits and things that others don't like... A relationship isn't based on having to have a 100% agreement on everything you say and do. lol

Yes but smoking isn't a little thing. It's a horrible lifestyle choice.
Smoking is a huge turnoff to me too. It's nasty. I can't say I would NEVER date a smoker.
Original post by ldsbabe
Yes but smoking isn't a little thing. It's a horrible lifestyle choice.

If you say so... I don't think it is such a big thing as you make it out to be at all.

I see it as no less bad than someone who eats a bit too much and is a bit overweight or someone with some kind of disability in some way or a habit which isn't necessarily a positive thing.

If you want to be so choosy with people then you only have yourself to blame if someone who would be great for you but happens to smoke passes you, or anyone else with a similar take on it, by. Shame really.
Reply 8
If you say so... I don't think it is such a big thing as you make it out to be at all.

I see it as no less bad than someone who eats a bit too much and is a bit overweight or someone with some kind of disability in some way or a habit which isn't necessarily a positive thing.

If you want to be so choosy with people then you only have yourself to blame if someone who would be great for you but happens to smoke passes you, or anyone else with a similar take on it, by. Shame really.

The thing is, someone that smokes wouldn't be great for me because that isn't a characteristic I look for in someone.
Original post by ldsbabe
It's a horrible lifestyle choice.

How?

I would and could. Sorry, I just dislike smoking...lol..
Original post by Birkenhead
How?

I just cant stand the smell. And I don't fancy repainting every year.
Original post by ldsbabe
The thing is, someone that smokes wouldn't be great for me because that isn't a characteristic I look for in someone.

It is not a characteristic.
It is not a characteristic.

Okay then...a filthy habit.
How?

It's unneeded and unhealthy.
It's funny because most people would say a person who wouldn't date someone fat is shallow.

What's the difference?
It's funny because most people would say a person who wouldn't date someone fat is shallow.

What's the difference?

There is no difference. People who wouldn't date someone because of smoking are just missing out and it is their own fault. Like I said, it really isn't such a big thing in my opinion. Soooooo many people smoke it is just normal in today's society. I can understand why someone might disagree with it of course but to actually turn down a potential partner because of it just seems totally ridiculous to me.
No I don't see it as shallow not to date a smoker. Even if it was shallow, it still wouldn't stop me from never dating a smoker.
Original post by ldsbabe
I just cant stand the smell. And I don't fancy repainting every year.

As long as your partner washes regularly the smell is rarely around. Smoking in the home causes damage after many years, not single ones, and you could always ask them to do it outside.
As long as your partner washes regularly the smell is rarely around. Smoking in the home causes damage after many years, not single ones, and you could always ask them to do it outside.

The smell straight after someone has had a cigarette is vile. I have a lovely boyfriend that doesn't smoke anyway :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending