The Student Room Group

Politics & IR VS Law

My place studying Politics and IR at Manchester Uni has been confirmed, but I found out there are spaces in clearing for Law. I've always been undecided between the two, and honestly don't know which one I'd rather study, so I'm now just looking at which has better career prospects. What do you guys think, and is it worth changing to Law? Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aliyah08
My place studying Politics and IR at Manchester Uni has been confirmed, but I found out there are spaces in clearing for Law. I've always been undecided between the two, and honestly don't know which one I'd rather study, so I'm now just looking at which has better career prospects. What do you guys think, and is it worth changing to Law? Thank you.

Manchester's in Clearing for Law, if that helps. :p:

I'll produce a longer reply in a sec, but to give you some context, I studied law. :smile:

---

I can't really comment on the career prospects of Politics since I don't know much about it, but you don't have to study law to become a lawyer. :nah: Around 50% of trainee solicitors are non-law graduates who've studied the GDL conversion course.

Ultimately it depends what you find most interesting of the two - there are elements of politics in a law degree (everyone has to study constitutional law), but I doubt there's as much "law overlap" in politics courses. Personally I found the nitty gritty of the legalese sufficiently interesting to want to study law - and if I had my time over again I think I still would, since I can't imagine myself doing anything else - but it's a matter of personal choice.

If you decide you'd like to study law, I'd suggest phoning Manchester and asking to change courses (assuming you meet the requirements), since you're clearly happy with the university and you can do this without having to go into Clearing. Do you have any specific questions about studying law which might help you to decide? :holmes:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Blackacre

I'll produce a longer reply in a sec, but to give you some context, I studied law. :smile:

Exactly! that's why I'm undecided lol thank you
Reply 3

---

I can't really comment on the career prospects of Politics since I don't know much about it, but you don't have to study law to become a lawyer. :nah: Around 50% of trainee solicitors are non-law graduates who've studied the GDL conversion course.

Ultimately it depends what you find most interesting of the two - there are elements of politics in a law degree (everyone has to study constitutional law), but I doubt there's as much "law overlap" in politics courses. Personally I found the nitty gritty of the legalese sufficiently interesting to want to study law - and if I had my time over again I think I still would, since I can't imagine myself doing anything else - but it's a matter of personal choice.

If you decide you'd like to study law, I'd suggest phoning Manchester and asking to change courses (assuming you meet the requirements), since you're clearly happy with the university and you can do this without having to go into Clearing. Do you have any specific questions about studying law which might help you to decide? :holmes:

Ahhhhh! I really really don't know. I originally wanted to apply for Law at Manchester, but I needed a grade B at Maths GCSE I think, I got a C. But I just got A*A*A* so was hoping they will overlook that grade. I really am torn between the two. Do you think that Law would open up more doors for me career-wise?
(edited 9 years ago)

Are you interested in actually studying law, or are you interested in becoming a lawyer?

I would choose the course you you have the greatest affinity and aptitude for, full stop. If you go for a legal career, the degree you do will not be particularly important (certainly when the decision is between law and politics), but your grades during your degree will be paramount.

Also worth checking whether Manchester allows non-law students to join its student law society, which I'd recommend.
Reply 5
Original post by TurboCretin
Are you interested in actually studying law, or are you interested in becoming a lawyer?

I would choose the course you you have the greatest affinity and aptitude for, full stop. If you go for a legal career, the degree you do will not be particularly important (certainly when the decision is between law and politics), but your grades during your degree will be paramount.

Also worth checking whether Manchester allows non-law students to join its student law society. I recommend doing so.

I don't know what career I want to go into yet, but I'm not completely against the idea of becoming a lawyer (though I'm aware of the difficulty of going down that route). I would equally enjoy studying either, so I've had to resort to researching which degree has better career prospects.
Ahhhhh! I really really don't know. I originally wanted to apply for Law at Manchester, but you needed a grade B at Maths GCSE I think, I got a C. But I just got A*A*A* so was hoping they will overlook that grade. I really am torn between the two. Do you think that Law would open up more doors for me career-wise?

Yeah, it does indeed look like you need a B in GCSE Maths. Here.

I'm told that Politics is a perfectly solid course as far as employability goes, so ultimately it's up to you whether you look in Clearing for law courses at other universities or you stick with your Politics & IR offer. I can't really advise you any further than that since you first need to decide what you want to study - a question that only you can answer!

Origami Bullets
I don't know what career I want to go into yet, but I'm not completely against the idea of becoming a lawyer (though I'm aware of the difficulty of going down that route). I would equally enjoy studying either, so I've had to resort to researching which degree has better career prospects.

Are you sure about that?

I believe Manchester also offers LLB and BA degrees in Law with Politics. Are those available in clearing?
(edited 9 years ago)

I'm a Manchester politics graduate (as of last month!) and I had no trouble finding work. In fact, it was ridiculously easy, though admittedly that was largely down to the work experience that I got during my degree.

That said, law does have better employment stats:
Law http://unistats.ac.uk/subjects/employment/10007798FT-222/ReturnTo/Search
Politics & IR http://unistats.ac.uk/subjects/employment/10007798FT-198/ReturnTo/Search

Have you considered law with politics? That's also in Clearing at Manchester. http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/applications/clearing-adjustment/course/?plan=8985#sthash.J2gwdQMj.dpbs
I had an offer from Manchester for law with a grade C in GCSE maths. I dont think it makes too much odds
Reply 10
Original post by Origami Bullets
I'm a Manchester politics graduate (as of last month!) and I had no trouble finding work. In fact, it was ridiculously easy, though admittedly that was largely down to the work experience that I got during my degree.

That said, law does have better employment stats:
Law http://unistats.ac.uk/subjects/employment/10007798FT-222/ReturnTo/Search
Politics & IR http://unistats.ac.uk/subjects/employment/10007798FT-198/ReturnTo/Search

Have you considered law with politics? That's also in Clearing at Manchester. http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/applications/clearing-adjustment/course/?plan=8985#sthash.J2gwdQMj.dpbs

Yay, Origami to the rescue, again. Do you mind me asking, where you work, or at least what you do?
Also, if I don't make up my mind quick, will the Law spot in clearing go? Or am I able to sleep on it?
Yay, Origami to the rescue, again. Do you mind me asking, where you work, or at least what you do?
Also, if I don't make up my mind quick, will the Law spot in clearing go? Or am I able to sleep on it?

If I told you, I'd have to kill you :tongue:

There's no guarantee of how long the spaces in law with politics will remain, so I'd recommend that you ring up today, see if you'd be allowed to swap and if they say yes, ask how long you have to decide - I believe they normally give Clearing applicants several days to sleep on it anyway.
Reply 12

There's no guarantee of how long the spaces in law with politics will remain, so I'd recommend that you ring up today, see if you'd be allowed to swap and if they say yes, ask how long you have to decide - I believe they normally give Clearing applicants several days to sleep on it anyway.

Hahaha fair enough!
And I'll do that thank you!
Reply 13

Btw, if they give me an offer, and I decide I wanna do Politics again (knowing me), will I lose my space in Politics?
Btw, if they give me an offer, and I decide I wanna do Politics again (knowing me), will I lose my space in Politics?

If you're just ringing up to enquire, tell them, but they will need to know either way fairly soon.
Reply 15
If you're just ringing up to enquire, tell them, but they will need to know either way fairly soon.

Thank you...yet again haha I phoned, they offered me a place on the Law (single) course. Who knows where this will take me lol.
Thank you...yet again haha I phoned, they offered me a place on the Law (single) course. Who knows where this will take me lol.

Congrats! Fantastic result! :awesome:

Congrats from me and Blackacre! (We may be sitting next to each other :tongue:)

Well done and good luck :smile:
Reply 19
Congrats! Fantastic result! :awesome:

Congrats from me and Blackacre! (We may be sitting next to each other :tongue:)

Original post by TurboCretin
Well done and good luck :smile:

Thank you guys! Thank you for all your help too!!!!! Let's hope I made the right decision!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending