The Student Room Group
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London

Ranked in top 650 universities

Though I have heard bad reviews about London Met, its ranked in top 650 universities in the world, well ahead off universities like Hull, Kingston, Greenwich, Derby, LSBU, and UEL etc. Is it really bad, I mean it's ranked in top 6-7% universities in the world, it can't be that bad. IS IT? Domestic rankings do contradict this fact in some way.
P.S- I'm not a London MET student.

Scroll to see replies

No of course not. It is different that is all. London Met is a university that accepts mature students and international non English speaking students. If you consider this fact and then take into consideration that it is ranked in the top 7 % of uni's in the world you will realise that it is actually a pretty amazing university.

Only really snobby pretentious students say awful things, if it makes them feel better then let them say what they want.

I don't go there but I respect this university a lot.
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London
Reply 2
The London Met law degree is in the top 100 in the uk, not too shabby
Say what you will but it will be incredibly hard to get a job in any competitive industry with a degree from London Met. Whether it ACTUALLY a bad University is irrelevant at that point.

It may be great but employers don't seem to think so.
Original post by 322394
The London Met law degree is in the top 100 in the uk, not too shabby

There are only about 100 law schools in the UK...
Reply 5
Original post by SmaugTheTerrible
There are only about 100 law schools in the UK...

Hey, you're right! I thought that there would have been more, I'm not from the uk so I wouldn't know, I just looked at teh legue tables, apparently there are only 98, although I noticed that there were a few that were missed out, London met comes in at 70 could be better but could be worse, I don't know the merits of the institution. At any rate most of the universities are corrupt and overly left inclined although some on the london universities like queen mary and the lse are supposed to have really good academics but only a few, the cream of the crop usually end up in america
Reply 6
Original post by SmaugTheTerrible
Say what you will but it will be incredibly hard to get a job in any competitive industry with a degree from London Met. Whether it ACTUALLY a bad University is irrelevant at that point.

It may be great but employers don't seem to think so.

Isn't it more a question of how well you do? A first from cambridge is obviously better than a first from london met but a first from london met is far better the a 2:2 from cambridge, with extra experince it would be better than a 2:1 from cambridge I'd imagina
Original post by 322394
Isn't it more a question of how well you do? A first from cambridge is obviously better than a first from london met but a first from london met is far better the a 2:2 from cambridge, with extra experince it would be better than a 2:1 from cambridge I'd imagina

2.2 from Cambridge is probably still better...
Reply 8
No, a 2:2 is just embarrasing
Their entry requirements are very very low, don't know why. But after going through the reviews on TSR, I'd keep London Met out of my list. :smile:
Original post by QueenC_87
No of course not. It is different that is all. London Met is a university that accepts mature students and international non English speaking students. If you consider this fact and then take into consideration that it is ranked in the top 7 % of uni's in the world you will realise that it is actually a pretty amazing university.

Only really snobby pretentious students say awful things, if it makes them feel better then let them say what they want.

I don't go there but I respect this university a lot.

I respect every university, because they're centres of learning :smile:
As you said, it accepts mature students and other international students- so does BIRKBECK! still it's ranked so highly and regarded as one of the best in the world (TOP 1%). Every university is good in one way or the other :smile: But I don't understand why is London MET looked down upon? :|
Reply 11
I just read that they're having financial problems and may close, does anyone know whether that's true?
I read that they drink unicorn blood to get better grades.
Just reading this thread takes me back five years or so to a time when Londonmet was in some financial trouble and its reputation to a bit of a dive from that....have to say that's pretty much all over now and although things are tight-as they are all over the HE sector right now- Londonmet is not 'going under' by any means. Certainly in the Arts arena some of the new thinking behind creative industry approaches has been game changing for the entire industry. Londonmet is leading not fading!
Reply 14
The london met Architecture is in the top 20 in the UK, second best in london. It depends entirely on your course.
Original post by 322394

Are you being serious or just trolling. A 2.2 from Cambridge is a million times better than a 1st from London met. It's like your assuming all courses have the same difficulty regardless of the university. The degrees in London met are much easier, hence why the requirements are fairly low. I still can't believe what I read.
Original post by halamadrid777
Though I have heard bad reviews about London Met, its ranked in top 650 universities in the world, well ahead off universities like Hull, Kingston, Greenwich, Derby, LSBU, and UEL etc. Is it really bad, I mean it's ranked in top 6-7% universities in the world, it can't be that bad. IS IT? Domestic rankings do contradict this fact in some way.
P.S- I'm not a London MET student.

I've never been there but it's supposed to be really good for architecture! The architect journal puts them in the top 10 courses in the country :smile:
Tbh, the league tables are subjective so you don't really know what it's going to be like till you go there yourself. If you like the uni and enjoy the course, then apply :h:
Are other departments closing down ? I don't know, but they are certainly merging departments.
I went London Met. I had a good experience there. My lecturers were amazing, down to earth people. I really looked forward to class because of this, they were greatly experienced, enthusiastic, engaging, and loved to teach. My advisers were great too.

I had some really in depth course work, and it seemed to be on par with the course I had to do when I was a student a Mount Saint Vincent in Canada.

My classmates were interesting people from all over the world and they had a passion for learning. The ones who didn't take the course seriously didn't pass.

The admin there was beyond horrible, however. Full of nasty, disrespectful people, who were miserable with their lives and decided to take it out on you. Also, wouldn't return your calls or give you the help needed. Yeah, school was poorly run, and I think that is the major contribution to it's suffering.

I eventually left, and finished my degree elsewhere. I enjoyed my time at London Met but I didn't want to be without employment because there is a bad view on it.

So, London Met had a bad rep, yes, but it's not because the lecturers (they were amazing). But more than likely how it is run (which is disgusting unfortunately).
Reply 19
As a third year Criminology student at London Met, this is an overall look at the experience (which obviously depends on the subject you are studying):

Good:

Lecturers will go above and beyond to ensure that students achieve the grades they are capable of (recommending excellent texts to read, allocating sessions for students to crack on with assignments/request guidance and having office hours where students can discuss issues on a one-to-one level etc).
- The incredibly diverse student population in terms of ages, backgrounds and ethnicities develops your character and grounds you as it teaches you to understand and respect other opinions, religions and cultures that differ from your own and you may not agree with. Henceforth solid Conflict Resolution skills are developed as you debate topics regularly.
- The on-site student bar "The Rocket" is a fantastic place to relax, have a drink, play some pool or even just unwind and do work. Although some of the furniture does need updating as the majority of it is showing signs of heavy use!
- The employment connections you can make and utilise while studying (there is a team dedicated to helping London Met students gain Full-time, Part-time and voluntary employment for during and after university).
- The vast majority of lecturers are experts in their teaching field and bring valuable experience and knowledge to lectures/seminars that can help students (my lecturers were probation workers and Police Officers).
- The plethora of opportunities to develop yourself, your acumen and enhance your CV will help to prepare you for gaining employment after university and your working life thereafter.
- Many parts of the campus (the majority of my time was spent at North Campus) were vile, outdated and in horrific decorative order, however the site is gradually being renovated and improved (still a long way to go!).
- Students are often subject to being "guinea pigs" as changes to policies, modules and examination strategies are constantly being made e.g. testing a module to discover any teething problems with the course (which is fantastic when you experience these flaws!).
- Computers in the library are often a battle as many people felt the overwhelming desire to hog them to scroll through their awe-inspiring Facebook timeline to catch up on the latest gossip.
- Due to the diverse range of opinions, it is inevitable that friction will sometimes occur, however some students do not possess the ability to calmly express their opinion in a civil and intellectual manner in class debates. As a result this often escalates into a "who can shout their uninformed opinion over each other the loudest" predicament and the rest of the class cannot express their viewpoints as they a) cannot get a word in edge ways and b) give up trying to reason with students who will not respect the viewpoints of others.
- London Met sadly is not renown for the traditional social aspect of university as it is extremely expensive to live in London and many students commute long distances (my commute takes two-two and a half hours each way). Additionally there are many mature students who have other priorities and responsibilities (house, children, car etc). So if you are a fresher looking for decent nightlife, fear not as London is a big place with hundreds of bars, pubs, clubs and venues that cater for all!

Overall admittedly London Met is not a "prestigious" university that adheres to the boundaries of elitism. The buildings may not look pretty and the cultural differences may be a shock to some, but this university is about improvement. Giving those the opportunity and tools to better themselves and achieve; so by the time you complete your degree, you will be a better and grounded individual. The needs of all are catered for - from the natural high flyers to those who need support and guidance. It does not matter whether you are from Hackney or Scunthorpe to Wimbledon or Surrey, discrimination is left at the door. The unspoken ethos of the uni is: Study hard, play hard, network, develop yourself and your character and you will get the best out of London Met.

There will be things I have missed out and some may disagree with this account but I hope this essay helps!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending