The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Mary Gee Leicester

Just got my accommodation offer and they've put me in Mary Gee rather than any of my preferences in oadby. It looks ok but not great, has anyone stayed there or has also been offered a place?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I didn't get any of my Oadby preferences either (I assume there's pretty much no places). I was also offered a room in Mary Gee. Where is your offered room? Mine is " Block U First Floor Room 6 ".
(edited 9 years ago)
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
They are houses which are about half way between the student village and university itself. You might hear loads of people slating it because from the outside it isn't much too look at and was even scheduled for demolition before the uni realised that it actually needed the rooms. However I had a couple of friends live there in first year and they said it was very social and they loved it there.

I would advise that you not to buy the bus pass if you don't plan on going into town that often because there is a weekly (free, I think) bus that will take you to and from Asda and it is pointless to try and get the bus in the mornings as more often than not the bus will drive straight past due to being too full. It is only a 15-20 minute walk to uni so not that bad at all. They might have put more buses on at peak times since I was a fresher though.

It will be as good as you make it!
Reply 3
It seems like we are all going to be in the same position once we move in. I reckon it'll be as good as we make it :smile:
I stayed there last year and I am staying there for my second year. Might not be the best looking accommodation but it is absolutely fine. Good social life, good size rooms and never had any problems with the kitchen and bathrooms. There's a basic common room with a pool table and a television. 20-25 minute walk to university depending on your walking speed, a lot closer than Oadby accommodation is. Only annoying thing is that if you have a 9am lecture the bus will often drive straight past you at the bus stop as it is full because it goes to Oadby before 'stopping' at Mary Gee.

I really wouldn't worry about living in Mary Gee. I was a bit apprehensive at first but I enjoyed my first year and have decided to stay for my second year. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask me :smile:
Original post by Jackwhu1911
I stayed there last year and I am staying there for my second year. Might not be the best looking accommodation but it is absolutely fine. Good social life, good size rooms and never had any problems with the kitchen and bathrooms. There's a basic common room with a pool table and a television. 20-25 minute walk to university depending on your walking speed, a lot closer than Oadby accommodation is. Only annoying thing is that if you have a 9am lecture the bus will often drive straight past you at the bus stop as it is full because it goes to Oadby before 'stopping' at Mary Gee.

I really wouldn't worry about living in Mary Gee. I was a bit apprehensive at first but I enjoyed my first year and have decided to stay for my second year. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask me :smile:

I'm not sure I like the idea of a 20-25 minute walk to uni everyday. How far are the Mary Gee houses from the closest gym and supermarket?
Reply 6
I've been put in Mary Gee, would have preferred Oadby but as long as the social life is good I think I'll survive! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by cork279
I didn't get any of my Oadby preferences either (I assume there's pretty much no places). I was also offered a room in Mary Gee. Where is your offered room? Mine is " Block U First Floor Room 6 ".

I'll be in Block P Second Floor
Reply 8
Original post by SirMasterKey
They are houses which are about half way between the student village and university itself. You might hear loads of people slating it because from the outside it isn't much too look at and was even scheduled for demolition before the uni realised that it actually needed the rooms. However I had a couple of friends live there in first year and they said it was very social and they loved it there.

I would advise that you not to buy the bus pass if you don't plan on going into town that often because there is a weekly (free, I think) bus that will take you to and from Asda and it is pointless to try and get the bus in the mornings as more often than not the bus will drive straight past due to being too full. It is only a 15-20 minute walk to uni so not that bad at all. They might have put more buses on at peak times since I was a fresher though.

It will be as good as you make it!

Thanks a lot! Doesn't sound too bad now and I think I quite like the idea of a short walk in the morning, or run if I wake up late. :s-smilie:
Reply 9
Original post by Jackwhu1911

Thanks man! Just a quick one on the houses, I guess that because there are 355 rooms and 36 houses then typically houses hold 9 or 10 people. So are houses always split into two or three floors with roughly 3 or 4 rooms to a floor? And if this is the case is there a bathroom on each floor?
Reply 10
Original post by Katie195
I've been put in Mary Gee, would have preferred Oadby but as long as the social life is good I think I'll survive! :smile:

Original post by Rhian_A
It seems like we are all going to be in the same position once we move in. I reckon it'll be as good as we make it :smile:

Good point
Reply 11
I had the same problem but Mary Gee looks good and saves a couple of quid for taxi fares after freshers! In block Q ground floor, looking forward to meeting some of you guys!!
Reply 12
Original post by johnbt
I had the same problem but Mary Gee looks good and saves a couple of quid for taxi fares after freshers! In block Q ground floor, looking forward to meeting some of you guys!!

Yeah in other words we're at least £300 less in debt than everyone else!
Reply 13
I went there today to take a look, doesn't look bad, and the area seems nice too around Mary Gee.
Reply 14
Glad to see others in this place, heard it was a bit like purgatory, neither near nor far.
I've been put into Block Q, second floor, room 6. I've seen a couple of photos and it looks like it'll do the job happily.
Reply 15
Original post by HEBrown
Glad to see others in this place, heard it was a bit like purgatory, neither near nor far.
I've been put into Block Q, second floor, room 6. I've seen a couple of photos and it looks like it'll do the job happily.

See you in Block Q!!! I wasnt complaining for the £80+ a week :biggrin:
All the blocks that I had been in apart from Blocks 103 and 105 have four rooms on the ground floor with a bathroom. First floor has two rooms, the kitchen and a washroom with a few sinks. Second floor has another four bedrooms and a bathroom

Posted from TSR Mobile
About a 25 minute walk to Asda. There's a Sainsburys local about 15 minute walk away, its on the way to uni. Not sure about gym other than the University gym which is on the uni campus

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Anyone in N block?
Reply 19
I've been offered Mary Gee also but it wasn't one of my choices and have no idea what it's like. Is it nice?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending