The Student Room Group

Joining a Sixth Form at 17?

I've gotten my results today (as levels) and they were pretty bad; to the point where I couldn't continue at my current Sixth form. I'm determined to re-do my as levels; and want to apply at another Sixth form. My GCSE's are good but I was wondering that if I was to apply to another Sixth Form could I strictly use my GCSE's and not have to give my as level results too (they're a bit disheartening).

Scroll to see replies

Original post by It's a Classic
I've gotten my results today (as levels) and they were pretty bad; to the point where I couldn't continue at my current Sixth form. I'm determined to re-do my as levels; and want to apply at another Sixth form. My GCSE's are good but I was wondering that if I was to apply to another Sixth Form could I strictly use my GCSE's and not have to give my as level results too (they're a bit disheartening).

Moved to A levels for you.

Have you asked your current sixth form if you can repeat year 12?
Original post by Motorbiker
Moved to A levels for you.

Have you asked your current sixth form if you can repeat year 12?

They wouldn't let me unfortunately.
Reply 3
Try your local FE College, providing they do A Levels, surely they'd only take your GCSE's into account and let you write off this year?
They wouldn't let me unfortunately.

Try another Sixth form then. :smile:

You have to tell them about your As results but you should be able to find somewhere to take you.
Are you sure I can't just come in as a new student? I've known plenty of people that drop out of Sixth Form and then decide to come back, so I could just use qualifications from GCSE.
Are you sure I can't just come in as a new student? I've known plenty of people that drop out of Sixth Form and then decide to come back, so I could just use qualifications from GCSE.

Try asking your sixth form again then. What did they say when you asked?

What grades did you get? I know a lot of people that bombed the first year so repeated it and went on to do well.
C E E U
C E E U

What did your current sixth form say when you asked them?

If you can get them to allow you to retake year 12 that would be the easiest solution. Have you tried emailing them? Calling? Who did you speak to? Can you speak to anyone higher?
What did your current sixth form say when you asked them?

If you can get them to allow you to retake year 12 that would be the easiest solution. Have you tried emailing them? Calling? Who did you speak to? Can you speak to anyone higher?

I spoke to the head of Sixth Form when he gave me my results; and apparently there was no way I could re-do year 12.
I spoke to the head of Sixth Form when he gave me my results; and apparently there was no way I could re-do year 12.

Then contact other local colleges, they should accept you. :smile:
Then contact other local colleges, they should accept you. :smile:

Colleges and Sixth Forms? :O

Even with the As levels I got?
Colleges and Sixth Forms? :O

Even with the As levels I got?

Yea, Some people have terrible years but can do better afterwards.

Find any other local college and sixth forms and call them up. :yep:
Hello,
Last year I got my AS results and I was devastated: BCDU. I then moved to a different college, with a different set of subjects that were respected and that I enjoyed, and today have come out with AAAB, and am now looking at a strong UCAS application to a Redbrick/ Russell Group university, and I can honestly say I couldn't be happier.

I don't know exactly why you got the results you did, however (despite what people say) it is a really big jump from GCSE to A Level. My advice to you is to apply to another sixth form, and re-do the year, with subjects you will do well at (but are not regarded as 'soft'). Your whole approach needs to be different: you need to study consistently throughout the year, and when you revise, do not waste time writing colourful notes and fooling yourself into thinking you're doing 'hours' of studious revision. Instead, your one and only aim with revision is to make sure the information goes in.

It really won't feel particularly strange re-starting sixth form: you're a year older than everybody... and quite honestly it's kinda like going back in time... Honestly though, it makes no difference whether you're sixteen or seventeen.
Whilst the majority of courses will still be open to you, I am afraid to say you will struggle to get onto the HIGHLY competitive courses even with 4A:
Medicine
Engineering
Law
Etc, etc,...
But if you do a solid degree at a top uni, and get good, relevant work experience with a career in mind so you can develop some practical skills, then all hope is not lost.

I wish you the best of luck.
Original post by jambojim97
Hello,
Last year I got my AS results and I was devastated: BCDU. I then moved to a different college, with a different set of subjects that were respected and that I enjoyed, and today have come out with AAAB, and am now looking at a strong UCAS application to a Redbrick/ Russell Group university, and I can honestly say I couldn't be happier.

Thanks for the help!

Hope OP is encouraged by your story!
That is encouraging, thank you both. I feel pretty lost at the moment; and my mum's thinking of having me apply to a top-tier Sixth Form near by because I passed their entrance exams and my GCSE's are eligible however I'm concerned because as soon as they take a look at my As levels they'll push me out the door. I want to go to a good college or sixth form really.
Also what time are Sixth Forms/Colleges taking in students? School restarts in September.
Reply 17
Original post by jambojim97
Hello,

I don't know exactly why you got the results you did, however (despite what people say) it is a really big jump from GCSE to A Level. My advice to you is to apply to another sixth form, and re-do the year, with subjects you will do well at (but are not regarded as 'soft'). Your whole approach needs to be different: you need to study consistently throughout the year, and when you revise, do not waste time writing colourful notes and fooling yourself into thinking you're doing 'hours' of studious revision. Instead, your one and only aim with revision is to make sure the information goes in.

It really won't feel particularly strange re-starting sixth form: you're a year older than everybody... and quite honestly it's kinda like going back in time... Honestly though, it makes no difference whether you're sixteen or seventeen.
Whilst the majority of courses will still be open to you, I am afraid to say you will struggle to get onto the HIGHLY competitive courses even with 4A:
Medicine
Engineering
Law
Etc, etc,...
But if you do a solid degree at a top uni, and get good, relevant work experience with a career in mind so you can develop some practical skills, then all hope is not lost.

Hi, I'm in a similar situation to OP, just wondering is it not at all possible to study an engineering related degree if you resit the year?

Thanks
Also what time are Sixth Forms/Colleges taking in students? School restarts in September.

We think they will have a few people in over the summer but we're not sure.

Sixth Forms and colleges will have lots of people in today for a level results day, Sixth form will have big crowds in next thursday for GCSE results day.
So I'm not late or at an disadvantage when applying?

Quick Reply

Latest