The Student Room Group

Stop body hair taboo

Women grow hair on their bellies and their backs and their legs and their arms and their stomachs and their face and really anywhere their genetics decides to have hair and it is perfectly normal. What isnt normal is society trying to shame women for not looking like a hairless baby. Grown women are, after all, meant to have hair on their armpits, vulva and legs. There is nothing ‘unnatural’ about a hairy woman; if there were then the hair would not grow there in the first place. Likewise, there is nothing ‘unfeminine’ about a hairy woman; if femininity is defined as ‘like a woman’ then a woman in her natural state is by definition as feminine as she can be. Indeed, one could say it is the hairless woman who is ‘less feminine’, as she removes parts of her natural, womanly body. Why should women only have hair on their heads ? Why is it disgusting and gross ? If it's gross why isn't a man with a hairy body gross ? Who has written the so called rules ? It also isn't unhygienic, we have water and soap don't we ? Fight against it. Love your body. It's your body, your rules. I think body hair is beautiful and feminine. Think about it people. Let's stop the insults and those so called beauty standards.

Scroll to see replies

It wouldn't be as bad, in my opinion, if the body hair was quite light. But my body hair is quite dark, and I really do hate it, and I always have done. Plus, I'd feel unclean if I was to leave my pubic hair, even though I do clean every day -.-

But that's just me - I wasn't brought up on ideals as to whether hair is good or bad, I just decided for myself.
Reply 2
Grown women are, after all, meant to have hair on their armpits, vulva and legs. There is nothing ‘unnatural’ about a hairy woman; if there were then the hair would not grow there in the first place. Likewise, there is nothing ‘unfeminine’ about a hairy woman; if femininity is defined as ‘like a woman’ then a woman in her natural state is by definition as feminine as she can be. Indeed, one could say it is the hairless woman who is ‘less feminine’, as she removes parts of her natural, womanly body :smile:
Reply 3
I don't think people should be saying women SHOULD have hair or they SHOULDN'T have hair.Or one is less feminine than the other. Stop preaching and let people do what they want. You want to have hairy armpits and legs? Cool. I personally don't. I feel more comfortable without and I prefer how it looks without and I prefer how everything feels without. That's just me. Some people dislike that and say you look like a prepubescent child without but I couldn't care less, I'm comfy and happy like this so if any partner thought this they'd just have to deal with it. Likewise if someone if happy and comfy with hair they'd do the same.
I don't shave my legs but shave my armpits. Anyone telling you to do something against your will tell them to go f themselves and for them to shave off your hair if they can be bothered!
Reply 5
Original post by idontevenbeth
I don't shave my legs but shave my armpits. Anyone telling you to do something against your will tell them to go f themselves and for them to shave off your hair if they can be bothered!

Hahaha nicely said. No one has the right to tell you what to do with your body hair.
Love your body hair :smile: Cherish and nourish it
Reply 6
#boring feminist making a big deal out of something that isn't a deal at all
Original post by Chlomc
I don't think people should be saying women SHOULD have hair or they SHOULDN'T have hair.Or one is less feminine than the other. Stop preaching and let people do what they want. You want to have hairy armpits and legs? Cool. I personally don't. I feel more comfortable without and I prefer how it looks without and I prefer how everything feels without. That's just me. Some people dislike that and say you look like a prepubescent child without but I couldn't care less, I'm comfy and happy like this so if any partner thought this they'd just have to deal with it. Likewise if someone if happy and comfy with hair they'd do the same.

This.

I have really dark hair so I shave everything/get my lip waxed etc but I know blonde women who are comfortable with not shaving their legs and stuff. It's personal preference.

We shouldn't be shaming people for keeping or getting rid of body hair
Reply 8
Original post by Inazuma

No one made you read this topic :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by JDM91
No one made you read this topic :smile:

And conversely, no-one is forcing you to eliminate your hairs either :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Inazuma
And conversely, no-one is forcing you to eliminate your hairs either :smile:

I'm not forcing anyone to shave or not to shave ?
Original post by JDM91
Women grow hair on their bellies and their backs and their legs and their arms and their stomachs and their face and really anywhere their genetics decides to have hair and it is perfectly normal. What isnt normal is society trying to shame women for not looking like a hairless baby. Grown women are, after all, meant to have hair on their armpits, vulva and legs. There is nothing ‘unnatural’ about a hairy woman; if there were then the hair would not grow there in the first place. Likewise, there is nothing ‘unfeminine’ about a hairy woman; if femininity is defined as ‘like a woman’ then a woman in her natural state is by definition as feminine as she can be. Indeed, one could say it is the hairless woman who is ‘less feminine’, as she removes parts of her natural, womanly body. Why should women only have hair on their heads ? Why is it disgusting and gross ? If it's gross why isn't a man with a hairy body gross ? Who has written the so called rules ? It also isn't unhygienic, we have water and soap don't we ? Fight against it. Love your body. It's your body, your rules. I think body hair is beautiful and feminine. Think about it people. Let's stop the insults and those so called beauty standards.

Original post by JDM91
I'm not forcing anyone to shave or not to shave ?

The OP acts like it.
There is no such taboo, no-one cares and everyone does what they want lol.

:troll: <- What most people feel like if they are hairy
Original post by Inazuma

I know it's something that's been talked about a lot recently, but I really disagree with you on the point that it's not a big deal.

I would definitely consider myself to be a rather strong-minded individual, but I have been getting negative comments about the amount of body hair that I have since I was 10 which have, whether I choose to let people know about it or not, really really affected me and my self-confidence a lot. I spent ages not wearing skirts (even with tights because the hair popped through) because I was so embarrassed about the fact that I felt like I needed to shave when I felt like I shouldn't have hair there at all, I'm 20 and I still have to psych myself up into thinking that people aren't offended by the dark hair on my arms, I feel embarrassed any time anybody asks to look at my nails/rings/hands, and although I'm personally a great fan of my pubic hair, I feel a need to hide it every time I get changed in public changing rooms, which I still get so many comments about. To get rid of all of my hair would be completely unnecessarily time-wasting, expensive, painful (particularly pubic hair) and all of this, for something that I don't personally want to do to my body until I see somebody else looking at it, when it makes me feel really self-concious. I've been forever jealous of fair-haired people, and I don't think that I will ever really stop. I'm personally determined to stick to my guns on what I think and what I want to do to my body, but it still makes me feel bad about myself, and it really is a big deal for some people which, at least in my opinion, makes it something which is definitely worthy of being talked about.
Reply 14
It's nice hearing someone feels the same way but heartbreaking at the same time. The amount of pressure that's been put on body hair..... why..... it's just body hair
Reply 15
To remove unwanted hairs you could go for laser treatment that will be worthy one and it will be an permanent solution for hair removal.
Reply 16
I would agree... if it didn't look so freakin' grim.
Smooth is sexy whether you like it/it's natural or not. You'll have a tough time forcing an entire gender to change their preference.
Feel free to stop shaving, but don't expect people not to grimace. Nose and ear hair is natural too but nobody likes that.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
That's your opinion. And I respect that. But don't force it down anyone's throath.

What I'm trying to say with this topic isn't that women should remove body hair or not. I'm talking about society's taboo on this subject
No one has to shave anything. Personally I think women look better with no body hair, who cares.

Latest