The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Haha I do it all the time too. Drives people nuts.

I just like the comfort of it too - I feel more relaxed reading something than hearing it. Oddness.
I always turn them on when I watch my DVD's. I just like reading what they say as well as hear it.
Reply 22
Me and my boyfriend both do it. And there's me thinking we were the only ones :smile:
I always put the subtitles on, if the programme I am watching has them.

My mum always used them, so now it's just natural for me to put them on.
Wow, i thought i was the only one. Subtitles just make it a lot better!
I do all the time. But that's probably because I can't understand most accents
I always thought I was the only one that put subtitles on programmes every time. Sometimes, it's just hard to pick up what the actors are saying and with subtitles you never miss any details. Maybe that's just me...
i have a hearing problem and ive used subtitles my whole life...ive been reading properly since i was 3/4 and i think reading subtitles all the time helped my reading since ive been able to read with no problems since i was a mere toddler :smile: its really easy to watch telly and read subtitles silmultaneously :P
I HATE subtitles, especially for the news, they move SO slowly.
I have subtitles on when I watch DVDs but I didn't know you could do it for TV! I'll have to try that
i dont have hearing problems but i tend to have subtitles on when i watch a dvd,i dunno why,lol
ForumFreak
I have subtitles on when I watch DVDs but I didn't know you could do it for TV! I'll have to try that

Did you never wonder why there used to be 888 at the top of most programs?
For some things I need subtitles, because the characters speak really quietly compared to the noise level on the show, or they speak to quickly or with accents.

For example, Firefly and Black Hawk Down need subtitles.

And I watch a lot of animé with subtitles... but thats cos I can't stand the English dubbing over the top!
Reply 33
I sometimes like looking at the subtitles to films in other languages...
mizzy87
OK so I always feel the need to have the subtitles turned on when I watch TV, particularly on soaps and sitcoms, eeven though I have absolutely no hearing problems. I've been like this for a good few years now. Its just the comfort of having them there lol. I can actually now read them and watch the screen simultaneously.

Is this subtitles desire normal? Does anyone else do this too? :confused:

I have them on all the time. I find them really useful, especially when it's an American imported programme or something where it's difficult to understand the accent.
Reply 35
I do it every now and again, saves me having to concentrate.
i do this as well but on some sky stuff subtitles arent available, i used to find it annoying without subtitles and now i can watch it either way although i prefer subtitles
Reply 37
my favourite thing about subtitles is the occasional use of the 'inappropriate adverb' when the operator describes something other than speech, i can't actually remember any off the top of my head (they don't hapen too often :wink:)
mizzy87
OK so I always feel the need to have the subtitles turned on when I watch TV, particularly on soaps and sitcoms, eeven though I have absolutely no hearing problems. I've been like this for a good few years now. Its just the comfort of having them there lol. I can actually now read them and watch the screen simultaneously.

Is this subtitles desire normal? Does anyone else do this too? :confused:

i know what you mean really its like a comfort blanket, like if youre watching something and someone starts talking, then you can carry on watching it.. etc i dont have them on all the time, just occasionally :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending