The Student Room Group

AS level Psychology or BTEC Business?

I've chosen to go with either Psychology or BTEC business and the university i want to go to is Plymouth. I think plymouth accepts btec's. I'm stuck between the two subjects although i want to study economics at degree level which would make more sense if i studied btec business but i've heard btecs are not respected as much. I also don't know the difficulty level for either psychology or btec business? What would you compare them to be in terms of difficulty and amount of work? What are your overall opinions? :confused:
Reply 1
Original post by Simzs
I've chosen to go with either Psychology or BTEC business and the university i want to go to is Plymouth. I think plymouth accepts btec's. I'm stuck between the two subjects although i want to study economics at degree level which would make more sense if i studied btec business but i've heard btecs are not respected as much. I also don't know the difficulty level for either psychology or btec business? What would you compare them to be in terms of difficulty and amount of work? What are your overall opinions? :confused:

Does your sixth/college not offer A-level Business or Economics? You may change your minds in regards to universities next year and it's safe to stick with A levels, as Economics is a fairly competitive course and lots of universities don't accept BTECs.
Reply 2
Original post by Gorwell
Does your sixth/college not offer A-level Business or Economics? You may change your minds in regards to universities next year and it's safe to stick with A levels, as Economics is a fairly competitive course and lots of universities don't accept BTECs.

No, i'm entering A2 in september and i dropped one of my subjects and i want to pick another one which im stuck between Psychology and Btec business.
I currently do study economics and will continue to do so at A2
Reply 3
Original post by Simzs
No, i'm entering A2 in september and i dropped one of my subjects and i want to pick another one which im stuck between Psychology and Btec business.
I currently do study economics and will continue to do so at A2

What other subjects do you study? I think Psychology may be a better option as an extra AS would probably benefit you more than a BTEC. Take note that Psychology AS is really content heavy though. A Business BTEC may be easier if you know a fair bit about business so it shouldn't have a bad impact on your other subjects.
Reply 4
Original post by Gorwell
What other subjects do you study? I think Psychology may be a better option as an extra AS would probably benefit you more than a BTEC. Take note that Psychology AS is really content heavy though. A Business BTEC may be easier if you know a fair bit about business so it shouldn't have a bad impact on your other subjects.

Well im going to continue studying Economics, Geography and Resistant materials at A2 and then i need to pick between psychology and btec business but im afraid that psychology is going to be too much in terms of work load whilst in a way i feel the same with btec business and the amount of coursework i'll have to do.
Reply 5
Original post by Simzs
Well im going to continue studying Economics, Geography and Resistant materials at A2 and then i need to pick between psychology and btec business but im afraid that psychology is going to be too much in terms of work load whilst in a way i feel the same with btec business and the amount of coursework i'll have to do.

Most universities require you to carry 3 subjects to A2 so you will have 4 AS and 3 A2- I assume from what you've said you already have the AS requirement, so taking up an AS that might not form part of your offer is not worth it. Focus on getting the grades for A2 now.
Reply 6
Original post by Gorwell
Most universities require you to carry 3 subjects to A2 so you will have 4 AS and 3 A2- I assume from what you've said you already have the AS requirement, so taking up an AS that might not form part of your offer is not worth it. Focus on getting the grades for A2 now.

Thank you!!
Reply 7
Original post by Simzs
Thank you!!

It's fine! If you need any more advice then feel free to ask me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest