Will EPQ damage application?

Original post by Hewitt
I have just received my A2 results and have:

History A*
Politics A*
Economics A
Ancient History A (AS)
EPQ (B)

I am considering taking a year off and applying to oxbridge. My one concern is that the universities would see I only got a B in my EPQ and that may raise questions, specifically about why I wasn't able to score higher.

Do people know if I can leave the EPQ out, or if the EPQ score could damage an application?

I don't think they will regard EPQ as an A-Level, therefore won't probably give it as much importance. I think you should try emailing admissions at Oxford and Cambridge asking them about the importance they give to EPQ, then decide accordingly on where to apply. I have a feeling Cambridge is more lenient with things like that, but I would confirm by emailing. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Obviously it's not going to look as good as an A or A*, but I don't think it'll harm your application. Neither Oxford nor Cambridge accept the EPQ as part of their standard offer. The EPQ is all about project management. Whilst obviously it's a nice plus to have outstanding project management skills, it's not their priority. So no, I don't think it will damage your application.

Obviously, to get the best answer, you should contact the universities themselves.
Cambridge has an official response about the EPQ: http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/responses/extendedproject.pdf

Its not precisely what you want but the closest official thing.

Quick Reply

Latest