The Student Room Group

Havent got the AS level grades i wanted

I am taking Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and History and I was predicted AAAA and i have just got my results back and i got BBBD with the D in Further Maths and I was hoping to go and apply to Warwick, LSE or Durham for a straight economics course.

Right now i am really annoyed at myself so I am planning on droping further maths and then concentrating on A2's and retakes to make my application better. Is there any advice anyone can give me?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Don't give up and work hard.
Reply 2
Original post by peakneek
Don't give up and work hard.

it's more than working hard. Sometimes its just down to luck and your mind is thinking on the day.
Reply 3
Original post by godd
it's more than working hard. Sometimes its just down to luck and your mind is thinking on the day.

I 100% agree. I've ruinded many exams just because on the day I felt dodgy. I guess just keep trying
Original post by godd

This is a totally useless comment.

'Luck' is simply what we call the chance of things going right or wrong, and it's far more likely that things will go right if you do the work consistently. When you realise that those who work hard are usually the lucky ones, you'll see that luck is more like commitment and effort and payoff.
Reply 5
Original post by tomfailinghelp
This is a totally useless comment.

'Luck' is simply what we call the chance of things going right or wrong, and it's far more likely that things will go right if you do the work consistently. When you realise that those who work hard are usually the lucky ones, you'll see that luck is more like commitment and effort and payoff.

"You have a right to perform your prescribed duty, but you are not entitled to the fruits of action. Never consider yourself the cause of the results of your activities, and never be attached to not doing your duty." Bhagavad Gita
Original post by skyaviator23
I am taking Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and History and I was predicted AAAA and i have just got my results back and i got BBBD with the D in Further Maths and I was hoping to go and apply to Warwick, LSE or Durham for a straight economics course.

Right now i am really annoyed at myself so I am planning on droping further maths and then concentrating on A2's and retakes to make my application better. Is there any advice anyone can give me?

I was in a similar position to you last year. I had moved to a new sixth form and it took me a while to adjust to the new surroundings and travelling 3 hours a day. I took Maths, FM, History and Economics, dropped English (started with 5) after a few months and my results were BBCC, B in FM.

I dropped FM leaving me with BCC and then carried these on for A2s. You're at a disadvantage cos you won't me able to go to the big ones for Economics. Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Bath/Bristol, Exeter, St Andrews and Notts are pretty much out of the question at the moment, there may be small opportunities in adjustment later. I applied to Surrey (although, they've now raised the entry req for 2015 entry), Birmingham, York, Kent and UEA and got offers from all of them. Apart from my grades, I had quite a strong reference and personal statement.

I worked really hard throughout the year, took 5 resits (all of my maths modules, 1 for economics and 1 for history). My AS results were bittersweet, as I had an off day for a unit in each of my subjects so had an A in one module and a C/D in the other. In total, I had 11 exams in the summer.

I got As in all of my modules, bar 2 for A2 maths and got accepted into my firm today achieving AAA, very close to having an A* as well. I'm going through adjustment at the moment but I'm still happy with my firm. So don't despair, it is possible to go to a good uni. All the ones I applied to may not have been the best but are still reputable.

I would drop FM, and take some re-sits. If it's only a module dragging your FM result down then it still might be worth retaking as the D might come back to haunt you.
What you have got to remember is that you still have another year to get the grades up. I got a C in my Biology (I need a B for uni) but I am only a couple UMS off a B so if I work hard enough I could end up with a B over all.

It is not the end of the world and you can always retake a module if you think that it will help.
Original post by godd
"You have a right to perform your prescribed duty, but you are not entitled to the fruits of action. Never consider yourself the cause of the results of your activities, and never be attached to not doing your duty." Bhagavad Gita

So you have an ambiguous quote which loosely disagrees with me... your point? You can refuse to take responsibility for the consequences of your action or inaction, but that doesn't mean that you won't have to deal with them.
Reply 9
Original post by tomfailinghelp
So you have an ambiguous quote which loosely disagrees with me... your point? You can refuse to take responsibility for the consequences of your action or inaction, but that doesn't mean that you won't have to deal with them.

Bhagavad Gita is an amazing book, truly amazed the great minds of Gandhi and Oppenheimer. Not to mention Carl Jung and Emerson as well.

It's not in your hands at the end of the day. Just try your best, let destiny take you were you need to be.
Would anyone say that retaking the year is a good idea? lots of people have said to me not to but right now i would need to retake 8 exams to get myself back up to AAAA which is a lot and i thought maybe retaking the year would be a reasonable idea?

Also what if i took a gap year and applied in 2 years time?
Original post by cathrg26
I was in a similar position to you last year. I had moved to a new sixth form and it took me a while to adjust to the new surroundings and travelling 3 hours a day. I took Maths, FM, History and Economics, dropped English (started with 5) after a few months and my results were BBCC, B in FM.

I dropped FM leaving me with BCC and then carried these on for A2s. You're at a disadvantage cos you won't me able to go to the big ones for Economics. Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Bath/Bristol, Exeter, St Andrews and Notts are pretty much out of the question at the moment, there may be small opportunities in adjustment later. I applied to Surrey (although, they've now raised the entry req for 2015 entry), Birmingham, York, Kent and UEA and got offers from all of them. Apart from my grades, I had quite a strong reference and personal statement.

I worked really hard throughout the year, took 5 resits (all of my maths modules, 1 for economics and 1 for history). My AS results were bittersweet, as I had an off day for a unit in each of my subjects so had an A in one module and a C/D in the other. In total, I had 11 exams in the summer.

I got As in all of my modules, bar 2 for A2 maths and got accepted into my firm today achieving AAA, very close to having an A* as well. I'm going through adjustment at the moment but I'm still happy with my firm. So don't despair, it is possible to go to a good uni. All the ones I applied to may not have been the best but are still reputable.

I would drop FM, and take some re-sits. If it's only a module dragging your FM result down then it still might be worth retaking as the D might come back to haunt you.

Hey there, I'm in a similar situation to you were and the OP is in. First of all, well done on those grades and getting those offers.
I got ABBC in maths, economics, geography and psychology respectively. When you applied to those universities what were your predicted grades? Would you recommend resitting the modules or just trying harder at A2? Also, what made your personal statement strong, what kind of things did you include in it?
Would anyone say that retaking the year is a good idea? lots of people have said to me not to but right now i would need to retake 8 exams to get myself back up to AAAA which is a lot and i thought maybe retaking the year would be a reasonable idea?

I would suggest that you do resits of the AS exams that you think you can boost the most and concentrate on getting good grades in the A2 modules. I second ZebraWindy's suggestion about dragging the AS up if possible. You might as well still apply in next year's UCAS round. If you don't get any inspiring offers you can always take a gap year.

That all said keep it in perspective, whether you go to LSE or a random decent uni is not going to make much of a difference to how your life pans out.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by godd
Bhagavad Gita is an amazing book, truly amazed the great minds of Gandhi and Oppenheimer. Not to mention Carl Jung and Emerson as well.

It's not in your hands at the end of the day. Just try your best, let destiny take you were you need to be.

i think that comment belittles many of the people that worked themselves to the bone to achieve their grades. "luck" can play a part, but it in your responsibility to get the grades
Original post by ZebraWindy
Hey there, I'm in a similar situation to you were and the OP is in. First of all, well done on those grades and getting those offers.
I got ABBC in maths, economics, geography and psychology respectively. When you applied to those universities what were your predicted grades? Would you recommend resitting the modules or just trying harder at A2? Also, what made your personal statement strong, what kind of things did you include in it?

My predicted grades were AAB. Both resit and put in more of your time to A2, it's actually a lot harder, especially for maths and economics. Apparently it was fairly well written, I put a lot of extra reading and work experience in to show I was interested in my subject and I put in a good amount of extra curriculars to show I would be a well rounded student. What are you planning to study?

8 AS modules? How many modules would you have for A2? I barely managed 5 on top of my 7 A2 exams and lost a lot of time and momentum by the end. Don't push yourself too much. I would retake the year and after getting your AS results again, apply to university. However, I would strongly advise you speaking to your student advisor.
My predicted grades were AAB. Both resit and put in more of your time to A2, it's actually a lot harder, especially for maths and economics. Apparently it was fairly well written, I put a lot of extra reading and work experience in to show I was interested in my subject and I put in a good amount of extra curriculars to show I would be a well rounded student. What are you planning to study?

Straight economics, I was expecting to do slightly better than I did at AS but I now realize I just didn't work hard enough. So do I just have to talk to my teachers and see if I can persuade them to predict me higher? Also, can you still get offers if you have lower predictions than the requirements?
Straight economics, I was expecting to do slightly better than I did at AS but I now realize I just didn't work hard enough. So do I just have to talk to my teachers and see if I can persuade them to predict me higher? Also, can you still get offers if you have lower predictions than the requirements?

Yes same with me, I was predicted AAAB originally. It's different for each school. We were given predictions and I managed to persuade my maths teacher to predict me an A. It varies for different universities, I emailed them before applying to see if I had a reasonable chance of an offer. Don't expect anything like Nottingham, Warwick, UCL etc. though. Surrey has also raised their entry req for 2015 entry.
Yes same with me, I was predicted AAAB originally. It's different for each school. We were given predictions and I managed to persuade my maths teacher to predict me an A. It varies for different universities, I emailed them before applying to see if I had a reasonable chance of an offer. Don't expect anything like Nottingham, Warwick, UCL etc. though. Surrey has also raised their entry req for 2015 entry.

Yeah, it's a bit of a bummer. Not Nottingham? Even if I was predicted an A* in maths?
Yeah, it's a bit of a bummer. Not Nottingham? Even if I was predicted an A* in maths?

Maybe... I think you would've had a better shot last year. Notts has moved up in the league tables and was completely oversubscribed this year. If you look through the clearing app all spaces for all courses have gone. I couldn't get a place via Adjustment as there were no vacancies left. Although psychology isn't hugely related, it could still be used to differentiate applicants. It's worth emailing the university before applying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

No trending threads to show

Trending

No trending threads to show