The Student Room Group

Help please I'm so confused!!!!

I'm waiting for my maths results (which I'm sure I've failed) so I'm not sure if I have gotten into my firm yet (it was part of my conditions) For the past two years I did a BTEC in Media (regretting it now and wishing I had taken A Levels but that's a different story) I didn't put much effort in (also another regret and I learnt my lesson the last month, the first year grades were PP so to get what I did I should be happy, right?) and came out with DMM (280 UCAS points) before that I did a Cache Diploma (I wanted to be a primary school teacher but then during second year switched to wanting to be a Journalist hence the media) and due to personal circumstances I only got 180 UCAS points.

I rang my firm in July and they said they wouldn't accept me without my maths. I have an unconditional from my insurance but I'm going to ask them to release me into clearing.

Considering these grades what universities should I be looking at? I want to study either Film Studies or Media Production. I would like to go this year too (I'm already 20 and don't want to be going any later) I don't want to ask my firm to reject me yet because if I did pass maths I would be devastated.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Why don't you want to go to your insurance?

You might have done better in your maths than you think.
Reply 2
Original post by Farseer
Why don't you want to go to your insurance?

I don't like the course, the university isn't for me and it's miles away from a city. I picked it because it was either that or another course at my firm and my course tutor thought it would be best for me.

I really don't think I have, the first 2 exams went badly and they are a bigger percentage than the one that went well.
(edited 9 years ago)
Not to worry: have a look on http://clearing.telegraph.co.uk/ and see what takes your fancy, good luck :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by rockrunride
Not to worry: have a look on http://clearing.telegraph.co.uk/ and see what takes your fancy, good luck :smile:

Thank you, which universities should I be aiming for? This is all so stressful.
Original post by kayleighisonfire

I would start off by searching for the ones that have the course area that you want to do. Then cut your list down more by getting rid of places that are similar to your insurance (campus based, rural etc) and then look for ones with a simular style of location to your firm if you like it there.

Then you should have a shorter list where you can start to research entry requirements. Get rid of any that you aren't eligible for and then research the other courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's what suits you more than what to aim for, if you like the campus, course and location of a mid range uni, thats better than just going on a course which ends up with the same degree. As you may work harder at a place in which you enjoy and thrive :smile: "it's not the hours you put in, but what you put in the hours!"
Reply 7
Original post by oxymoronic
I would start off by searching for the ones that have the course area that you want to do. Then cut your list down more by getting rid of places that are similar to your insurance (campus based, rural etc) and then look for ones with a simular style of location to your firm if you like it there.

Then you should have a shorter list where you can start to research entry requirements. Get rid of any that you aren't eligible for and then research the other courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for your help. Struggling to find anything I want to do right now so I'm gonna try again tomorrow when hopefully I'm less stressed :smile:

Original post by Jamchelsea
It's what suits you more than what to aim for, if you like the campus, course and location of a mid range uni, thats better than just going on a course which ends up with the same degree. As you may work harder at a place in which you enjoy and thrive :smile: "it's not the hours you put in, but what you put in the hours!"

Thank you for your help, it's made everything seem a lot less confusing.
Thank you so much for your help. Struggling to find anything I want to do right now so I'm gonna try again tomorrow when hopefully I'm less stressed :smile:

Thank you for your help, it's made everything seem a lot less confusing.

Pleasure to help as i was going through the same thing about 15 hours ago aha
Reply 9
Pleasure to help as i was going through the same thing about 15 hours ago aha

Sorry to hear you were in the same situation, hope it's all sorted out for you now.
Sorry to hear you were in the same situation, hope it's all sorted out for you now.

Yes it's all sorted, i'm off to Bournemouth next year :-D but my college was telling me one thing about what i would get (coursework) and my (coursework again) results were very underwhelming in terms of my expectations.
Reply 11
Yes it's all sorted, i'm off to Bournemouth next year :-D but my college was telling me one thing about what i would get (coursework) and my (coursework again) results were very underwhelming in terms of my expectations.

Aww that's good to hear. That's unfair, luckily mine were as planned but I was sure they would be lower.
Reply 12
I GOT AN UNCONDITIONAL FROM MY FIRM EVEN WITHOUT MY MATHS RESULT!! :biggrin::u::ahee:
I GOT AN UNCONDITIONAL FROM MY FIRM EVEN WITHOUT MY MATHS RESULT!! :biggrin::u::ahee:

Congrats :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Farseer
Congrats :smile:

Thank you :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending