The Student Room Group

Bad A2 results? What to do?

My A Levels weren't that great :s-smilie: I got a B in English (which I'm happy with, btw) a D in Geography and an E in Psychology. Now, I anticipated bad A levels because admittedly I could have put in a lottttt more work, and as much as I could put the blame on other things (such as my teacher randomly deciding to be sick for 12 weeks and having a supply who never made any sense in her teaching) it all comes down to the fact that I was lazy and (imo) did not try hard enough to succeed. I originally applied to Royal Holloway to do Geography (ABB) but was rejected because of my results. Through clearing I got into Kingston University, and to be honest, I'm not all that happy/excited about going to Kingston. I always pictured feeling excited when I got accepted into university, and with this situation I honestly don't at all and I think I want to retake Geography and Psychology. I've always had a bad history with Psychology (it is a DEMONIC subject) but literally one week before the exams I kinda grasped on to it and ran out of time to do anything about it. With Geography, I let nerves/anxiety get the best of me and got a U in the unit 3 exam that counted for like 60% of my final A2 grade.
The problem is that my sixth form refuses to let me back in to retake, and I honestly have no idea where to go or what to do. If I was to pay for them externally how much would they be? Any help would be greeaatttly appreciated. Thank you for reading my struggle :smile:
Original post by jaysohail
My A Levels weren't that great :s-smilie: I got a B in English (which I'm happy with, btw) a D in Geography and an E in Psychology. Now, I anticipated bad A levels because admittedly I could have put in a lottttt more work, and as much as I could put the blame on other things (such as my teacher randomly deciding to be sick for 12 weeks and having a supply who never made any sense in her teaching) it all comes down to the fact that I was lazy and (imo) did not try hard enough to succeed. I originally applied to Royal Holloway to do Geography (ABB) but was rejected because of my results. Through clearing I got into Kingston University, and to be honest, I'm not all that happy/excited about going to Kingston. I always pictured feeling excited when I got accepted into university, and with this situation I honestly don't at all and I think I want to retake Geography and Psychology. I've always had a bad history with Psychology (it is a DEMONIC subject) but literally one week before the exams I kinda grasped on to it and ran out of time to do anything about it. With Geography, I let nerves/anxiety get the best of me and got a U in the unit 3 exam that counted for like 60% of my final A2 grade.
The problem is that my sixth form refuses to let me back in to retake, and I honestly have no idea where to go or what to do. If I was to pay for them externally how much would they be? Any help would be greeaatttly appreciated. Thank you for reading my struggle :smile:

Hi there,
Firstly congratulations on getting offered a place through clearing, what course have you been offered a place on?

I am sorry to hear that you are not really excited to get a place, although it is understandable if you were really hoping to go to your firm choice.

We have an ASK US site where you can read about our students experiences through their blogs and find out more about what they enjoy about Kingston.

Ultimately if you are not 100% sure if Kingston is right for you, then you might want to consider some other options -
1) keep shopping around for other places
2) consider redoing your A Levels - if not at your 6th Form, at another college
3) think about taking a Gap year. Do some work experience, possibly study part time, and try applying again next year for a course / uni you want to study at.

Although it feels like you have to make lots of decisions right now- try and take some time out tonight and tomorrow to think about your options. Although obviously we hope that you will change your mind about coming to Kingston, if you decide it is not quite right for you, then now is the time to make that decision rather than a few weeks into the course.

What ever you decide, good luck
Kind regards
Kerrie

Are there other local colleges that offer A levels? It's probably easier to enrol elsewhere than pay your sixth form.

Check with RHUL and other unis you might like to go to that theyll be cool with you doing resits before you commit to anything. It should be fine but you don't want to start on a year of retakes to find that it doesnt help :smile:

You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper.

Always Remember "Winners are too busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."
Reply 4
Original post by Kingston University
Hi there,
Firstly congratulations on getting offered a place through clearing, what course have you been offered a place on?

I am sorry to hear that you are not really excited to get a place, although it is understandable if you were really hoping to go to your firm choice.

We have an ASK US site where you can read about our students experiences through their blogs and find out more about what they enjoy about Kingston.

Ultimately if you are not 100% sure if Kingston is right for you, then you might want to consider some other options -
1) keep shopping around for other places
2) consider redoing your A Levels - if not at your 6th Form, at another college
3) think about taking a Gap year. Do some work experience, possibly study part time, and try applying again next year for a course / uni you want to study at.

Although it feels like you have to make lots of decisions right now- try and take some time out tonight and tomorrow to think about your options. Although obviously we hope that you will change your mind about coming to Kingston, if you decide it is not quite right for you, then now is the time to make that decision rather than a few weeks into the course.

What ever you decide, good luck
Kind regards
Kerrie

I'm really thankful that Kingston did give me a place, I just reaaaaaaaaally had my hopes set on Royal Holloway. I don't know, I wish I had more than 24 hours to make my decision about the whole thing
I'm really thankful that Kingston did give me a place, I just reaaaaaaaaally had my hopes set on Royal Holloway. I don't know, I wish I had more than 24 hours to make my decision about the whole thing

I do feel for you, it is such a big decision to make in a relatively short amount of time.

I hope you don't spend all evening worrying, try and relax a bit and sleep on it. Hopefully tomorrow things will seem a little clearer for you.
Chloe our student ambassador will be back online tomorrow from 9am so if you have any questions you want to ask her then get back in touch.

Kerrie
Reply 6
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Are there other local colleges that offer A levels? It's probably easier to enrol elsewhere than pay your sixth form.

Check with RHUL and other unis you might like to go to that theyll be cool with you doing resits before you commit to anything. It should be fine but you don't want to start on a year of retakes to find that it doesnt help :smile:

Hmm yeah true, it would be my absoluuute last resort.
Oh thank you! I'll do that tomorrow morning :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by Kingston University
I do feel for you, it is such a big decision to make in a relatively short amount of time.

I hope you don't spend all evening worrying, try and relax a bit and sleep on it. Hopefully tomorrow things will seem a little clearer for you.
Chloe our student ambassador will be back online tomorrow from 9am so if you have any questions you want to ask her then get back in touch.

Kerrie

Thank you! One more thing - is the 24 hour deadline basically the time they sent the e-mail (9:12am, the time they gave me a verbal offer) or is it something else
Thank you! One more thing - is the 24 hour deadline basically the time they sent the e-mail (9:12am, the time they gave me a verbal offer) or is it something else

Hi again.
I am afraid I don't know the answer to this. I don't know if one of the moderators on here can help you, or if it says on UCAS, but our hotlines open again at 8.30am tomorrow morning so you could call them then and ask.
Any problems get back in touch with me on here and I will do my best to find out for you when I am back in the office tomorrow,
kind regards
kerrie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending