The Student Room Group

Disapointing AS or A level results encouragement thread!

Scroll to see replies

Yeah, I got BBCC. **** as ****. Never felt so dissapointed in my life
Last year I got CCCE at AS. Not terrible but not what I needed. I retook lots of exams and ended up with ABC this year which satisfied my entry requirements for maths at Keele :smile: I never thought this time last year I would have ever got an A. I had to pinch myself when I opened my results. I'm not even kidding but if I can do it, anyone can. Don't be disheartened if you haven't got the results you want at AS. I found that doing the retakes actually helped my overall understanding of the A2 content :smile:

(By the way, I'm not trying to be big headed or anything. Just showing its possible to improve grades from AS to A2)
I'm no longer in the situation but I was once, I managed to turn things around and get into a top university. I wrote about my experiences here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2055250 It might make some people feel better.
I got ACCD at AS first time round. Now I'm finishing off my Master's at Oxford and I'm due to start my PhD here in October.

I remember that feeling of being so disappointed, and even my final A-level results weren't stellar (ABB- though this was back in the day when we didn't have A*s) and thinking that even though I'd gotten into a decent university with a decent department, academia and studying clearly wasn't going to be a long term thing for me. How wrong I was!

In short, don't let your A-level results make you think that you're not good at studying or that you're not intelligent, because with hard work it is still possible to turn things around.
Original post by RoughWritings
Yeah, I got BBCC. **** as ****. Never felt so dissapointed in my life

I felt like that last year :'( I improved 3 grades by doing loads of retakes. And I'm by far not the smartest of people out there. Don't beat yourself up about this. Regardless of what you think, BBCC actually aren't that bad grades. I know plenty of people in my year that actually got accepted to courses despite getting 3 whole grades lower than the entry requirements. So theoretically, even if you were to not improve over the next year, you could still end up getting into an AAB course.

Keep your head up and please just don't compare yourself to other people. This is your journey through life. It doesn't matter how they've done. I always compare myself to other people and it never helps. Believe that you can and WILL do better. If you want it you will get it.

Also, have you considered getting any of your exams remarked?
A thread where I belong.:redface:
triple D at AS and going to resit. And picking up a forth AS in physics. I did maths, biology and chemistry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by meme2216
I felt like that last year :'( I improved 3 grades by doing loads of retakes. And I'm by far not the smartest of people out there. Don't beat yourself up about this. Regardless of what you think, BBCC actually aren't that bad grades. I know plenty of people in my year that actually got accepted to courses despite getting 3 whole grades lower than the entry requirements. So theoretically, even if you were to not improve over the next year, you could still end up getting into an AAB course.

Keep your head up and please just don't compare yourself to other people. This is your journey through life. It doesn't matter how they've done. I always compare myself to other people and it never helps. Believe that you can and WILL do better. If you want it you will get it.

Also, have you considered getting any of your exams remarked?

I thought about it. But I thought..what if they remark my paper and I get a lower score? I got a C in Maths, and a C in Chemistry. I wanted to study Medicine, but now that is down the drain. I dont know what to do anymore.
Well, I got ABCE and I'm heartbroken because I put tons of effort into the C (the E... well, I did, but not as much. It's Chemistry.)

So half of my results are great and the other two are ****ty and need work. I'm pretty sure the C is a mistake, though. I'm getting it remarked.

But remember this:

Original post by RoughWritings
I thought about it. But I thought..what if they remark my paper and I get a lower score? I got a C in Maths, and a C in Chemistry. I wanted to study Medicine, but now that is down the drain. I dont know what to do anymore.

If you get a lower mark in the remasrk, they accept the original mark. If your marks do go up, not only do you get the possibility of I higher grade but you also get your money refunded! Also, some medicine courses still accept students with retakes.
Reply 49
Original post by Etreo
Nothing grates me more than people complaining about their poor AS results when they were getting As and Bs. Seriously guys.

DDDD at AS. FML.

i know someone who got that (all D's) and is now going to study human bio in sept, so dont be too worried or whatever
I got a C in my chemistry which isn't bad. But I want to take t at uni and my boyfriend got his A-level results (CCE) and when I said Cs were good he said 'Bs are great, Cs are worth nothing' and it made me really insecure when I opened up my AS results to get a C in my favourite subject and it made me feel stupid even though Cs aren't awful. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WishfulDesire
I got a C in my chemistry which isn't bad. But I want to take t at uni and my boyfriend got his A-level results (CCE) and when I said Cs were good he said 'Bs are great, Cs are worth nothing' and it made me really insecure when I opened up my AS results to get a C in my favourite subject and it made me feel stupid even though Cs aren't awful. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry, you can turn it around next year! I'm feeling exactly the same about my C in Biology. I put in a lot of hard work and it seems like it was for nothing now. My teachers wanted me to get an A. Have you thought about getting it remarked?
If it makes you feel any better, I got an E in Chemistry AS :rolleyes: It's not my strongest subject even though I find it interesting.
Original post by WishfulDesire

Posted from TSR Mobile

C's arent awful at all. I guess its all relative to what you need/want. Obviously no one is going to Oxford to do medicine with Cs but there are thousands of courses with entry requirements of much less than Cs. You've done very well; both you and your boyfriend. Well done! :smile:
There is no such thing as bad grades in my opinion, if you got what is widely thought as "ok" grades but needed high grades to go where you wanted e.g. uni, then you are gonna think they are bad grades, wether or not other people did worse than you or not.

So if you werent happy with your grades then fair enough but no point telling other people who did better than you that they had good grades and shouldnt be moaning.
There are so many unis out there. I've been to a red brick and an ex poly for my degrees so far and they were both similar in quality and opportunities.

My point is that even with lower grades there is a uni out there who will take you because there are just so damn many of them these days. Lower grades might be a barrier for some subjects but many subjects are readily available at many unis and I swear that a lot of the uni thing is about growing as a person and getting life experiences and as long as you think about which city you'd like to live in the world is your oyster.

Seriously people, don't sweat it :smile:
Original post by All_TheCyanide
Don't worry, you can turn it around next year! I'm feeling exactly the same about my C in Biology. I put in a lot of hard work and it seems like it was for nothing now. My teachers wanted me to get an A. Have you thought about getting it remarked?
If it makes you feel any better, I got an E in Chemistry AS :rolleyes: It's not my strongest subject even though I find it interesting.

Luckily my teacher told me he has no problem with predicting me a B for next year which means it shouldn't affect my application which is so relieving! I feel the same way. I tried very hard for CCD to get an overall C. Remarking would be very bad for unit 2. Only just scraped a C! :s-smilie: but thank you. :smile:

C's arent awful at all. I guess its all relative to what you need/want. Obviously no one is going to Oxford to do medicine with Cs but there are thousands of courses with entry requirements of much less than Cs. You've done very well; both you and your boyfriend. Well done! :smile:

I'm hoping to do my Chemistry masters at Leicester with a year out in Industry. I need ABB and I'm starting next year with AAC so it should be achievable. It just thew me and made me a little sad. Thank you, it was a rough day trying to comfort him with that, he doesn't want to go to uni and I don't really know how to support him so, thanks. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Last year I got CCCE at AS. Not terrible but not what I needed. I retook lots of exams and ended up with ABC this year which satisfied my entry requirements for maths at Keele :smile: I never thought this time last year I would have ever got an A. I had to pinch myself when I opened my results. I'm not even kidding but if I can do it, anyone can. Don't be disheartened if you haven't got the results you want at AS. I found that doing the retakes actually helped my overall understanding of the A2 content :smile:

(By the way, I'm not trying to be big headed or anything. Just showing its possible to improve grades from AS to A2)

You've given me so much motivation and inspiration! Thank you so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TunaTunnel
I'm no longer in the situation but I was once, I managed to turn things around and get into a top university. I wrote about my experiences here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2055250 It might make some people feel better.

Thank you so much! it makes me feel so worth it that people have experienced what I've been through! thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I need some help, advice and some inspiration.:console:

I go Christ the King: St Mary's which is in Sidcup.

Well I saw my results and it is not pleasing at all.

I do Maths Physics Chemistry and Biology.
I got UUUD which is not really good, In my school you need a minimum of E grade to progress. I just need some help and advice on what to do next, my parents aren't showing it but they are not pleased with me. All I've done is pray and reflect and trying to move on. But I'm just worried and a lil shaky.

Someone help?
Reply 59
My AS levels didnt go as well as I wanted, I got CCCD... Im mostly bothered about the D because that was in Geography and all year I had been getting A's in all my mocks and it is my favourite subject but i knew the exam went terrible for that!! And i got a C in psychology which i am a bit confused about because again i had been getting A's all year but i thought the exam went really well because i knew my stuff and answered all the questions...
I worked really hard as well :/
On the bright side, i got a C in Spanish which i am happy about because i had been getting E's and D's but luckily! (*Thank god for the speaking exam*) and i got a C in Biology.. i need a B for Uni but i had been getting D's so im not too far away now!

Quick Reply

Latest