The Student Room Group

year 10 in sept.... what to expect?

Scroll to see replies

I'm going into year 11 too, if anyone wants to ask me anything?! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Oh I know, I was just quoting you in too! So you could speak to the new Year 10s and share your wisdom :wink: :smile: :tongue:

Aw thanks, I would be glad to do so. Year 10 is definitely a challenging period of time cause you're new to the whole pressure and GCSE procedures in my opinion. In year 11, although more revision is required, at least you're more familiar to things by then. However, one thing I would just like to say is keep revising from the beginning of GCSEs (Year 10), don't say to yourself 'there's a long time left' cause that will ruin year 10 and 11 for you since to progress in Year 11 you will benefit from certain and strong foundations developed year 10. Also, you need to get into the habit of revising guys. It's very hard to make yourself sit down quietly and revise and in order to develop the tempo to do so, you need to be doing it on a regular basis to avoid procrastination and lack of focus when you actually need to revise ( in mock and gcse period). Always plan ahead and keep your goals high! :smile:
Be prepared for the stress and be prepared to compromise. Some things can come up which can jeopardise your prospects.

Like when I chose French, I knew that I was going to fail it but I wanted to do it for the English Baccalaureate but it was abolished so there's no point in doing it anymore. It will probably bring down my average and lower my chances since, based on my predictions, I'm probably gonna get mostly Bs and Cs and the a U or E in French and that will look bad in my files.

It still pisses me off but y'know life. Anyway, good luck with yr 10, I know the transition will be a bit tough. Again, good luck :smile:
Original post by Firenze26
Be prepared for the stress and be prepared to compromise. Some things can come up which can jeopardise your prospects.

Like when I chose French, I knew that I was going to fail it but I wanted to do it for the English Baccalaureate but it was abolished so there's no point in doing it anymore. It will probably bring down my average and lower my chances since, based on my predictions, I'm probably gonna get mostly Bs and Cs and the a U or E in French and that will look bad in my files.

It still pisses me off but y'know life. Anyway, good luck with yr 10, I know the transition will be a bit tough. Again, good luck :smile:

thanks man
It may seem really stressful at the start but thats only because year 9 was really relaxed. All you have to do is focus and try not to fall behind. Do your best on your coursework because it will have a big effect on your final grades. Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why do you think that you're going to fail French?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kauther99
It may seem really stressful at the start but thats only because year 9 was really relaxed. All you have to do is focus and try not to fall behind. Do your best on your coursework because it will have a big effect on your final grades. Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's true it can be stressful at times - I would have said it's more stressful when you take your first exams that at the very beginning because it is all new and quite exciting then (for me it was anyway), but I suppose that just depends on you as a person.

Make sure to catchup any classes that you miss, especially if you miss quite a few in one subject, because you really don't want to fall behind as everything moves on quite quickly - particularly in science!

If you're taking any exams in Y10, try to pace yourself with the revision and spread it out rather than trying to cram during the last couple of days before your exams - it's really, really helpful and you will feel so much more confident going into an exam that you feel like you have revised adequately for. That doesn't mean you need to do a huge amount of revision for weeks and weeks! Just little bits here and there which you can gradually build up as you get closer to the exam. :biggrin:

It's not scary at all; it's actually really nice to know that you're working towards the ultimate goal of your GCSEs now, instead of school seeming quite meaningless as it often does during Y8/9.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do brilliantly! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LavishLinguist
Why do you think that you're going to fail French?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm really bad at linguistics, as you can see from my horrible grammar (English isn't my first language), and I don't really have the drive, I guess, to study it. So, I think that I'm gonna fail it.
anyone got any tips for english lit and english becos im really crap at it
I'm really bad at linguistics, as you can see from my horrible grammar (English isn't my first language), and I don't really have the drive, I guess, to study it. So, I think that I'm gonna fail it.

English isn't your first language?! Wow, I would never have guessed that! What was your first language? As someone who adores languages, I'm jealous!

Your grammar isn't bad at all, at least not from what I can see, so you can't be all that bad at linguistics! English IS my first language, and I still have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to grammar most of the time. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by smartboy1331
anyone got any tips for english lit and english becos im really crap at it

I'm not sure if I can tell you anything since I'm pretty sure that I'm rubbish at English myself but one of the advice given to me by my teachers was to read and expand my vocabulary since the complexity and level of your language could affect your grade. They also told me to practice writing essays since unlike most subjects, you can't exactly revise a topic in English unlike Science or Maths where you memorize something and pass the test.

Not that I'm saying English is harder than Maths or Science, I'm just making an observation. No offense intended.

English isn't your first language?! Wow, I would never have guessed that! What was your first language? As someone who adores languages, I'm jealous!

Your grammar isn't bad at all, at least not from what I can see, so you can't be all that bad at linguistics! English IS my first language, and I still have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to grammar most of the time. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

My first language is Tagalog although, I'm really bad at it. It's actually pretty ironic since I spent so much time using my first language than English but I still failed my first language but passed English.

What made you interested in languages? I've heard a lot of reasons and the most unusual one to date, for me anyway, was to understand their favorite song and watch anime without subs or dubs.
I'm not sure if I can tell you anything since I'm pretty sure that I'm rubbish at English myself but one of the advice given to me by my teachers was to read and expand my vocabulary since the complexity and level of your language could affect your grade. They also told me to practice writing essays since unlike most subjects, you can't exactly revise a topic in English unlike Science or Maths where you memorize something and pass the test.

Not that I'm saying English is harder than Maths or Science, I'm just making an observation. No offense intended.

My first language is Tagalog although, I'm really bad at it. It's actually pretty ironic since I spent so much time using my first language than English but I still failed my first language but passed English.

What made you interested in languages? I've heard a lot of reasons and the most unusual one to date, for me anyway, was to understand their favorite song and watch anime without subs or dubs.

I haven't ever come across Tagalog before, where were you born?

I think the thing that made me interested in languages was that my great uncle lived in Spain from before I was born up until this year (not that he can actually speak Spanish, despite having a Spanish partner) so I spent a lot of time over there during the summers. He lived in quite a local area without many tourists so I was able to spend a lot of time just listening to people chat in Spanish (and French too, sometimes), which, although I didn't really understand very much of what they were saying, I just loved the sound of it compared to English and really wanted to be able to understand it. My sister studied French and German at university and she's lived in a lot of different countries, so I guess that inspired me a lot too because that's something I really want to do. I'm planning to move abroad someday because I prefer 'proper' European culture as opposed to the westernised version that we have in England. Also, it's too cold for me here - I'm really sensitive to low temperatures. :/

Is that unusual?! Aha :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I haven't ever come across Tagalog before, where were you born?

I think the thing that made me interested in languages was that my great uncle lived in Spain from before I was born up until this year (not that he can actually speak Spanish, despite having a Spanish partner) so I spent a lot of time over there during the summers. He lived in quite a local area without many tourists so I was able to spend a lot of time just listening to people chat in Spanish (and French too, sometimes), which, although I didn't really understand very much of what they were saying, I just loved the sound of it compared to English and really wanted to be able to understand it. My sister studied French and German at university and she's lived in a lot of different countries, so I guess that inspired me a lot too because that's something I really want to do. I'm planning to move abroad someday because I prefer 'proper' European culture as opposed to the westernised version that we have in England. Also, it's too cold for me here - I'm really sensitive to low temperatures. :/

Is that unusual?! Aha :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not unusual, by the way, although it does make the reason of my interest in language a bit more sadder (for lack of better word). Since the only reason why I'm interested in languages is because I want to read the original manuscripts of some things.... well as original as the translation of ancient to modern language anyway. I know it's a bit nerdy but y'know.

I was born in the Philippines and I think you may have come across Tagalog although in a different name since while some see Tagalog as a language, others see it as a dialect. So, sometimes people call my first language Filipino but other times, they call it Tagalog. Although, I could be wrong, it is a bit confusing.

Are you gonna study a language at uni?
It's not unusual, by the way, although it does make the reason of my interest in language a bit more sadder (for lack of better word). Since the only reason why I'm interested in languages is because I want to read the original manuscripts of some things.... well as original as the translation of ancient to modern language anyway. I know it's a bit nerdy but y'know.

I was born in the Philippines and I think you may have come across Tagalog although in a different name since while some see Tagalog as a language, others see it as a dialect. So, sometimes people call my first language Filipino but other times, they call it Tagalog. Although, I could be wrong, it is a bit confusing.

Are you gonna study a language at uni?

Oh, yes of course! I have heard of that before! :smile:

That's actually a pretty good reason to want to learn languages, at least in my opinion. I think that it's a much better experience to read something in the original language because it allows you to read it from the writer's perspective rather than from an English perspective because of the cultural differences in language. (Not that I can speak any other languages well enough to do so yet, but I will one day!)

I want to study several languages at university if I can, along with international business. I found a course in Strathclyde that does both of those things, and that sounds perfect to me! :smile:

How about you, do you know what you want to go on to study?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh, yes of course! I have heard of that before! :smile:

That's actually a pretty good reason to want to learn languages, at least in my opinion. I think that it's a much better experience to read something in the original language because it allows you to read it from the writer's perspective rather than from an English perspective because of the cultural differences in language. (Not that I can speak any other languages well enough to do so yet, but I will one day!)

I want to study several languages at university if I can, along with international business. I found a course in Strathclyde that does both of those things, and that sounds perfect to me! :smile:

How about you, do you know what you want to go on to study?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sort of, I mean I am planning to study biochemistry with a joint subject (so I can have a fall-back plan). And I found this course where I can study biochemistry with computer security or genetics but my mom disapproves of my career choice to become a Forensic Scientist so I'm starting to consider business, engineering and computer science.

Congratulations :smile: , what language/s are you gonna study? Are you gonna study modern languages or ancient ones?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sort of, I mean I am planning to study biochemistry with a joint subject (so I can have a fall-back plan). And I found this course where I can study biochemistry with computer security or genetics but my mom disapproves of my career choice to become a Forensic Scientist so I'm starting to consider business, engineering and computer science.

Congratulations :smile: , what language/s are you gonna study? Are you gonna study modern languages or ancient ones?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your parents disapprove of you wanting to be a forensic scientist?! That's certainly something I have never heard before. I though that would be the sort of career all parents loved?!

I want to study either Spanish and French or Spanish and German. Mainly because a lot of businesses in Spanish want people who can speak French or German as well as Spanish, plus it would open doors in French/German speaking countries too. I would prefer French, though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your parents disapprove of you wanting to be a forensic scientist?! That's certainly something I have never heard before. I though that would be the sort of career all parents loved?!

I want to study either Spanish and French or Spanish and German. Mainly because a lot of businesses in Spanish want people who can speak French or German as well as Spanish, plus it would open doors in French/German speaking countries too. I would prefer French, though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Both of my parents don't disapprove of my choice only my mom. My dad doesn't really care, all that matters to him was that I get enough money for a roof and food when I grow up but my mom wants me to have my own house, car and other things. She basically wants me to be rich so she's pushing me to become a lawyer or a doctor since they earn loads of money. It happened to my brother but he managed to get his way so my mom gave him the okay to become a veterinarian. Hopefully she does the same for me though.

Yeah, compared to German, I would take French too. No offence intended but in France, they can eat chocolate for breakfast without getting weird looks even if they're adults (why can't teens and adults eat chocolate sandwiches without getting weird looks?). It may sound ridiculous but it is chocolate :smile:

Are you planning to move to Spain? I heard that the weather there is great and I heard the beaches are amazing although it doesn't matter to me since I'm not exactly a fan... Sorry I'm rambling
Hi! I've just finished year 10 and it is a lot harder and more stressful thank you think if you let the workload pole up! A lot more work is set as subjects start giving you official coursework and if you fall behind it takes a lot to get back on top of it, I slipped in my art coursework at the beginning of October and I'm still making up for it! However I've got to say its a lot more fun as teachers give you more independence to do what you want in there subject! And people like the year 7s look up to you. I hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also about concentrating! Instead of having long periods of study do it in smaller amounts if time but more often, it helps you not get distracted and improves memory skills! Also try making stuff like mind aps as they keep you focused aswell!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending