The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Aberystwyth uni

Hey,

This is a thread for people who are going to Aberystwyth uni!

Like to hear from people who are going to this uni - I live in England at the moment and would like to hear from the people who are going to the uni this year :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gcole19
Hey,

This is a thread for people who are going to Aberystwyth uni!

Like to hear from people who are going to this uni - I live in England at the moment and would like to hear from the people who are going to the uni this year :smile:

I accepted an offer from Aberystwyth in clearing today :smile: I will be studying Law. I haven't visited previously so I'm attending a clearing open day on Monday. Will be good to check out the accommodation too.

What is your subject? Did you also enter via clearing?
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Reply 2
i visited aberystwyth uni once for biology course. Its really nice as in surroundings, peaceful, out in the middle of nowhere. I didnt like the showers and toilets though, theres like a curtain dividing you between 6 other toilets (possibly occupied). Not enough privacy.
Reply 3
Original post by Willowbob
I accepted an offer from Aberystwyth in clearing today :smile: I will be studying Law. I haven't visited previously so I'm attending a clearing open day on Monday. Will be good to check out the accommodation too.

What is your subject? Did you also enter via clearing?

Yeah, I accepted an offer through clearing to study Economics :smile:
I'm attending an open day on tuesday and looking forward to it, hopefully it's not so deserted as I live in London and is used to busy areas
Reply 4
Original post by Y-R-A
i visited aberystwyth uni once for biology course. Its really nice as in surroundings, peaceful, out in the middle of nowhere. I didnt like the showers and toilets though, theres like a curtain dividing you between 6 other toilets (possibly occupied). Not enough privacy.

Hey, what was the town like? and the people? were there many students there? :smile:
Original post by Y-R-A

Sounds grim :erm:
I'll probably apply for en-suite accommodation though so hopefully won't have that issue.

I do like the thought of the peaceful surroundings though :redface:

Did you apply? Subject?
Original post by gcole19
Yeah, I accepted an offer through clearing to study Economics :smile:
I'm attending an open day on tuesday and looking forward to it, hopefully it's not so deserted as I live in London and is used to busy areas

Hey, congrats!
I guess it may be a little deserted just now as most students won't be on campus. I live near Manchester so am also used to city-living.
Weather forecast is a bit rubbish for next week.. I won't bother taking my wetsuit anyway :K:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
I just accepted my place onto the English and Drama!
I visited on an open day, but just curious as to what the people are like there?? And what Freshers is like?? Haha :P
Original post by Beans19
I just accepted my place onto the English and Drama!
I visited on an open day, but just curious as to what the people are like there?? And what Freshers is like?? Haha :P

Hey. Sounds like a great course. :smile: Was Aberystwyth your firm?
What did you think of the accommodation during your visit? Have you decided which halls are right for you?
Reply 9
Hey. Sounds like a great course. :smile: Was Aberystwyth your firm?
What did you think of the accommodation during your visit? Have you decided which halls are right for you?

Yeah i'm really excited!! It was my firm choice!
I thought some of the accommodations were really nice but i've some horror stories about toilets? lol
I tried to choose accommodation as close to the main campus as i could and basically sorted it out that way :smile: But haven't been told where im staying yet! #nervous haha
How did you do? what you studying? :smile:
Original post by Beans19
Yeah i'm really excited!! It was my firm choice!
I thought some of the accommodations were really nice but i've some horror stories about toilets? lol
I tried to choose accommodation as close to the main campus as i could and basically sorted it out that way :smile: But haven't been told where im staying yet! #nervous haha
How did you do? what you studying? :smile:

I missed my AAA conditions from York for Law and was offered an alternative course. I declined that and went into clearing. Aberystwyth had always been on my radar but we never made it there for an open day. I accepted an offer to study Law and, like you, I'm really excited/relieved, ha ha.
Did you meet your grades for your place?
Is the sea-front accommodation a long way from campus or does it depend on your course? I don't suppose you saw the Law building?
Reply 11
I missed my AAA conditions from York for Law and was offered an alternative course. I declined that and went into clearing. Aberystwyth had always been on my radar but we never made it there for an open day. I accepted an offer to study Law and, like you, I'm really excited/relieved, ha ha.
Did you meet your grades for your place?
Is the sea-front accommodation a long way from campus or does it depend on your course? I don't suppose you saw the Law building?

Aw good! Well at least you're doing a course you're going to be happy with!!
I was actually a grade of my A and got a B but I was still accepted! So grateful! I went through a building which had the Law room in and it seemed nice but i didn't pay it that much attention, sorry :P
Umm i think its a fair distance but from what i gathered there is a bus which can take you from there to the main parts of the Uni. But it is lovely! :biggrin:
Original post by Y-R-A

That sounds like Penbryn to me? I never lived there myself but it's nickname amongst the students is Pengrim. It's because it's catered so theres up to 20 people in a flat. Non catered accommodation is far nicer.

I'm going back in September for my fourth year in Aber so know it pretty well by now. If you've got any questions I can try and answer them :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by Jezebelle
That sounds like Penbryn to me? I never lived there myself but it's nickname amongst the students is Pengrim. It's because it's catered so theres up to 20 people in a flat. Non catered accommodation is far nicer.

I'm going back in September for my fourth year in Aber so know it pretty well by now. If you've got any questions I can try and answer them :biggrin:

Hey, what's the area like? Is the student life good and what are you studying? :smile:
Original post by Jezebelle

Pengrim :rofl:

I'm pretty sociable and am used to city-living. I will be studying Law and want to self-cater. Which halls would you recommend for me?
How far do you travel from home? It will be a 3 hour train ride for me (change in shrewsbury). How have you found the travelling and how often have you gone home in a year?
Is the campus largely Welsh folk or is it a complete mix? Just wondering how much welsh-speaking will be going on.

Sorry to bombard you! Cheers for offering to help us out here :smile:
Shouldn't think there's any chance of en suite at this stage, especially as the new accommodation at Penglais Farm won't be finished in time for the start of term and even the returners who had booked a place there can't get an en suite room instead which is pretty rank IMO.
Original post by gcole19
Hey, what was the town like? and the people? were there many students there? :smile:

I went to Aber! It's a lovely little town packed full of unique charm and character. Most people fall in love with the place. Just a really friendly community vibe wherever you go. I graduated in 2011 and I miss the place. And yes, it's mostly students!

It's not too bad, about a 15-20 minute uphill walk, alternatively there's a bus that goes straight there and if I remember rightly you can buy a pass for the year. The upside is you're closer to the beach/town.
Original post by Captain Haddock

It's not too bad, about a 15-20 minute uphill walk, alternatively there's a bus that goes straight there and if I remember rightly you can buy a pass for the year. The upside is you're closer to the beach/town.

I think being close to campus may make more sense in my first year. I need to decide on self-catered accommodation and need help! Where would you recommend - not too fussed about cost as parents paying, lol
Reply 18
Original post by Captain Haddock
I went to Aber! It's a lovely little town packed full of unique charm and character. Most people fall in love with the place. Just a really friendly community vibe wherever you go. I graduated in 2011 and I miss the place. And yes, it's mostly students!

Cool thanks, also, whats the student life there? Are there many clubs or is it mostly bars?
Reply 19
For anyone going to Aberystywyth; you'll love it. I graduated this year and I had a blast there.

It's scenic, quiet and great for students. The weather can be a bit weird though so make the most of the sunshine and go dolphin watching on the beach! Here's a few tips from a guy who spent four years there.

1) It's very remote, so if you drive you'll be looked up to like a god. There's not a lot to do, but the cinema is dirt cheap. Budget your train fares/fuel!
2) There are two clubs (with dancefloors) and about fifty bars and pubs.
3) Get used to hearing Welsh! Also, don't go in The Black Lion if you're English.
4) The Angel is the towns local 'dive', where the alternative scene flocks to; so if you're more in to your rock & metal you may find yourself there.
5) There's a lot of locally owned businesses, support them! Spartacus does the best sandwiches in town.
6) Don't go in the ****ing sea at night. I'm not even kidding. People have died.
7) Get used to hills.

Also, regarding what someone said about the bathrooms? I've never heard of anything like that. I was in a 6 person house in first year and we had two bathrooms. I don't know of any halls that have communal toilet facilities, unless you're trying to shower in the sink of a department building.

For those of you doing Business & Management or Computer Science, hit me up with any questions; I was split across both departments for my BScEcon

Quick Reply

Latest