The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Aberystwyth uni

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Catsic
For anyone going to Aberystywyth; you'll love it. I graduated this year and I had a blast there.

It's scenic, quiet and great for students. The weather can be a bit weird though so make the most of the sunshine and go dolphin watching on the beach! Here's a few tips from a guy who spent four years there.

1) It's very remote, so if you drive you'll be looked up to like a god. There's not a lot to do, but the cinema is dirt cheap. Budget your train fares/fuel!
2) There are two clubs (with dancefloors) and about fifty bars and pubs.
3) Get used to hearing Welsh! Also, don't go in The Black Lion if you're English.
4) The Angel is the towns local 'dive', where the alternative scene flocks to; so if you're more in to your rock & metal you may find yourself there.
5) There's a lot of locally owned businesses, support them! Spartacus does the best sandwiches in town.
6) Don't go in the ****ing sea at night. I'm not even kidding. People have died.
7) Get used to hills.

Also, regarding what someone said about the bathrooms? I've never heard of anything like that. I was in a 6 person house in first year and we had two bathrooms. I don't know of any halls that have communal toilet facilities, unless you're trying to shower in the sink of a department building.

For those of you doing Business & Management or Computer Science, hit me up with any questions; I was split across both departments for my BScEcon

Thanks for you informative respone, it's really helped me! :smile:
Hmm, only two clubs, I can live with that, seeing as I'm a girl and don't go to bars or pubs that much, I guess i'll have to get used to the idea!

Also, i'm studying BSc Economics, you said you were split across both departments for your BScEcon so i'm guessing you did an economics degree? How were the lecturers? :smile:
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Reply 21
Original post by gcole19

How were the lecturers? :smile:

Honestly; brilliant. Not as nice as the lecturers in the computer science department but still a wonderful bunch of people. They're all very much in to their subjects and their passion is really engaging.

The exception being of one lecturer (who I shan't name) who was so dull I literally fell asleep, and another who was a PhD student who was a little arrogant and became incredibly disorganized towards the end of third year. The department was, however, very good in addressing it.
Hi everyone,

Welcome to the Aberystwyth Forum (those of you who are new).

Our philosophy at Aberystwyth is that we want you to be happy, so what I'm telling you now is not marketing. It is me being honest with you.

Aberystwyth is an amazing place to study. Here are a few reasons I say that (in no particular order):
1) The whole town is geared up for students - so every night is a student night
2) thanks to this fact, the community atmosphere is incredible - you will always bump into friends (handy on a night out when you have lost your group)
3) yes it is a fairly small place (compared to city unis), but this is also a bonus - on a night out it's just a few pounds to get home in a taxi - we have over 50 pubs / 24 hour clubs etc. Plus a large award winning arts centre
4) for a small town we offer a massive variety of extra-curricular activities. There are loads of societies and sports which other unis can't offer (you can easily go surfing, sailing, mountain biking or horse riding in one day) - check out the Students Union website: http://www.abersu.co.uk/activities/
5) We are the safest university town in the UK
6) we are investing over £100 million in the teaching and accommodation facilities (all of halls have been recently refurbished)
7) the departments offer brilliant lecturers and their facilities are great
8) we have one of the world's greatest libraries (national library) two mins walk from campus (One of six national libraries in the UK)
9) our location is an added advantage in my opinion - for example, at weekends people actually stay on campus and don't go home - so there's always something to do
10) we have an amazing network of beaches which you will spend your summer nights having BBQs with your friends...

I recommend you watch this video:
[video="youtube;kktMqrMioY0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kktMqrMioY0[/video]

Finally, I suggest you come take a look around. We are having Clearing visiting days until the 25th August (we are contributing to your UK mainland travel too) - register here: https://bitly.com/1mFBOf0

If you have any questions of need any help just let me know :smile: I hope you found this useful!

James
Original post by AberystwythUni_James

If you have any questions of need any help just let me know :smile: I hope you found this useful!

James

Thanks James, that's really useful info and you make it sound so exciting!

I missed a couple of grades and wasn't accepted by my original uni choices to study Law. I'm feeling slightly anxious that I've moved outside of the Russell Group by choosing Aberystwyth. From your experience can I ask about the reputation of the uni in relation to competitive careers longer term?
I've no doubt that the setting, activities and uni ethos at Aber are second to none, but I am concerned about the long-term. Are there snooty employers out there only interested in RG?
I'm coming to a clearing open day next week to check out the course, uni and setting.. but I still have nagging doubts about the reputation. Sorry, don't want to bring the mood down but it seems to make sense to air concerns sooner rather than later.
:unsure::unsure::unsure:
Original post by Willowbob
Thanks James, that's really useful info and you make it sound so exciting!

I missed a couple of grades and wasn't accepted by my original uni choices to study Law. I'm feeling slightly anxious that I've moved outside of the Russell Group by choosing Aberystwyth. From your experience can I ask about the reputation of the uni in relation to competitive careers longer term?
I've no doubt that the setting, activities and uni ethos at Aber are second to none, but I am concerned about the long-term. Are there snooty employers out there only interested in RG?
I'm coming to a clearing open day next week to check out the course, uni and setting.. but I still have nagging doubts about the reputation. Sorry, don't want to bring the mood down but it seems to make sense to air concerns sooner rather than later.
:unsure::unsure::unsure:

Hi WillowBob,

I'm glad you found it useful :smile:

It's great that you're going to be coming along to a clearing visiting day, because then you will be able to ask all your questions to the people who will be teaching you (who are far better at telling you the specifics about your course and career). The only thing I would say is that: of course employers look beyond RG unis - only a small percentage go to them! Lots of my friends who did law at Aberystwyth are now Solicitors or in some form of law career - I wouldn't worry. If you study hard and get involved within the uni so that your CV has an excellent overall picture of your student life, then there is no doubt you'll excel!

I'm not here next week, which is a shame as I would very much like to have given you a tour of campus to chat further! Have a great time next week :smile:

James
Original post by AberystwythUni_James
Hi WillowBob,

I'm glad you found it useful :smile:

It's great that you're going to be coming along to a clearing visiting day, because then you will be able to ask all your questions to the people who will be teaching you (who are far better at telling you the specifics about your course and career). The only thing I would say is that: of course employers look beyond RG unis - only a small percentage go to them! Lots of my friends who did law at Aberystwyth are now Solicitors or in some form of law career - I wouldn't worry. If you study hard and get involved within the uni so that your CV has an excellent overall picture of your student life, then there is no doubt you'll excel!

I'm not here next week, which is a shame as I would very much like to have given you a tour of campus to chat further! Have a great time next week :smile:

James

Cheers James. The last 24 hours have seen all of my original plans change so I guess I'm still in the adjustment phase :colondollar:

Do we get advice on what to bring when we move in? My home is in Lancashire so not easy to nip home if I've forgotten anything, ha ha
Cheers James. The last 24 hours have seen all of my original plans change so I guess I'm still in the adjustment phase :colondollar:

Do we get advice on what to bring when we move in? My home is in Lancashire so not easy to nip home if I've forgotten anything, ha ha

It might be a good idea to join the 2014 Aberystwyth University Social Group on Facebook- the 600+ students will give you plenty of tips (I'm on there too)

Have a good weekend!

Oh great! Thank you Willowbob :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by Beans19
Aw good! Well at least you're doing a course you're going to be happy with!!
I was actually a grade of my A and got a B but I was still accepted! So grateful! I went through a building which had the Law room in and it seemed nice but i didn't pay it that much attention, sorry :P
Umm i think its a fair distance but from what i gathered there is a bus which can take you from there to the main parts of the Uni. But it is lovely! :biggrin:

Hey! I applied for law in aberystwyth and they offered me a place of 300 ucas points (BBB) but in my situation it's either ABC or AAD. I am going to put aber as my firm choice and I am worried if I get 260 or 280 ucas points which is the worst scenario. from ur experience, I am kinda relieved, do u think it would be okay?
Original post by ksdf
Hey! I applied for law in aberystwyth and they offered me a place of 300 ucas points (BBB) but in my situation it's either ABC or AAD. I am going to put aber as my firm choice and I am worried if I get 260 or 280 ucas points which is the worst scenario. from ur experience, I am kinda relieved, do u think it would be okay?

Hi there! I'm a current first year at Aber and I would just like to say that don't worry too much if you miss your grades by a bit. I did on results day in August and rang them up to find that they still offered me a place 😊 Any questions about the uni feel free to ask me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by dramastudent13
Hi there! I'm a current first year at Aber and I would just like to say that don't worry too much if you miss your grades by a bit. I did on results day in August and rang them up to find that they still offered me a place ������ Any questions about the uni feel free to ask me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes! thank you :smile: have you taken the scholarship entrance exams? if u did or if u have any info such as an advice, could u give? for example, do u know what percentage we need to get to pass, r they easy or challenging? I am taking literature and law
Original post by dramastudent13
Hi there! I'm a current first year at Aber and I would just like to say that don't worry too much if you miss your grades by a bit. I did on results day in August and rang them up to find that they still offered me a place Any questions about the uni feel free to ask me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I got an unconditional offer with something like 140 UCAS points, so I wouldn't worry that much.
Reply 33
Original post by SamKeene
Yeah I got an unconditional offer with something like 140 UCAS points, so I wouldn't worry that much.

what course??
Original post by ksdf
what course??

Maths baby.

I'm also taking the Entrance Scholarship, I heard on the grapevine in this forum somewhere that 60% across both exams gets you at least a merit, and the full scholarships are awarded to the top 50. I don't know if there's a min-max limit on each department tho...

Getting my train to wales tomorrow, can't wait! :rave:
Reply 35
Maths baby.

I'm also taking the Entrance Scholarship, I heard on the grapevine in this forum somewhere that 60% across both exams gets you at least a merit, and the full scholarships are awarded to the top 50. I don't know if there's a min-max limit on each department tho...

Getting my train to wales tomorrow, can't wait! :rave:

Me too!! I can't wait:h:
Original post by ksdf
Me too!! I can't wait:h:

You travelling far? Mine is something like a 5 hours train(s) journey >.<

I'm mostly excited about getting the guaranteed accommodation, and while it says it assures 3 years, I assume it also means our applications would be processed first - I really want to be in Penbryn :angry:
Reply 37
You travelling far? Mine is something like a 5 hours train(s) journey >.<

I'm mostly excited about getting the guaranteed accommodation, and while it says it assures 3 years, I assume it also means our applications would be processed first - I really want to be in Penbryn :angry:

yea I am!! I will first fly to birmingham that will take 3 and a half hours then the train which is another 3 and a half hours! 5h of train is boring, however 7h of travelling could be exhausting.. but still I really like the uni if I pass these exams I would totally study there it will be my firm choice:h:
Original post by ksdf
yea I am!! I will first fly to birmingham that will take 3 and a half hours then the train which is another 3 and a half hours! 5h of train is boring, however 7h of travelling could be exhausting.. but still I really like the uni if I pass these exams I would totally study there it will be my firm choice:h:

Damn :redface: Where do you live? Up north? Overseas? 5h wont be that bad, I can just relax and do some quick maths.

The uni seems great, they really do have a nice chunk of scholarships/bursaries going on. The poor peasant that I am, I will probably be able to go through the degree without getting any summer/weekend jobs since they provide so much assistance, almost certainly wont need a job if I get the Entrance Scholarship!

You going to go to the visiting day while you are up there?
Reply 39
Damn :redface: Where do you live? Up north? Overseas? 5h wont be that bad, I can just relax and do some quick maths.

The uni seems great, they really do have a nice chunk of scholarships/bursaries going on. The poor peasant that I am, I will probably be able to go through the degree without getting any summer/weekend jobs since they provide so much assistance, almost certainly wont need a job if I get the Entrance Scholarship!

You going to go to the visiting day while you are up there?

hahaha:biggrin: I live in Romania. I want to pass for the unconditional offer, u r really lucky u already have that! I might attend a tour around the university on Wednesday but idk yet, do u have to email them? will u attend?

Quick Reply

Latest